Bed leg adjusters savaged (1 Viewer)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
In one of lockers in my latest van I found the remains of 3 of the bedleg adjustable feet. So after spending a few fruitless hours searching the net for replacements I made my own repairs. This one of them pre-repair:
leg 01 DSCF4535.JPG

The original nut sealed in plastic that allows the adjustment has to be removed and this was the cause of the destruction. The manufacturers had coated the threads above the nut to stop the adjustment beyond that point with locktiite. So Joe blogs wanted a little more height so with a spanner wound the lower nut relentlessly destroying the plastic seal. He repeated this stupidy on three of the legs:mad:

The simple repair involved getting a length of oversize timber then chamfering the entry end then hammering into place within the bed leg. Once done, sawed off at base of the leg and drilled out with a 1/4" drill then formed a thread by using a similar threaded bolt wound into the hole. Oringal feet wound in, jobe done.
bed legsDSCF4530.JPG

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
Same thing happened on ours,I welded a tapped block on ,then sprayed grey to match.Better than new

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Good ideas gents,(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Same thing happened on ours,I welded a tapped block on ,then sprayed grey to match.Better than new
That was the way to go but no welder or tap set, why the makers used locktite is beyond me, it took a vice and alot of effort to remove the locked on nuts. Without the locktite these units would never fail.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back