Bargain Tablet ?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by hilldweller, Oct 4, 2012.

1. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

If you can find an HP one, they were selling for £99 with Android 4. Very good system apparently, which is why everywhere is out of stock!

3. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it being "refurbished" with Tesco being the seller - they are usually pretty good. And if you change your mind, there's always the DSRs to fall back on.

Mind you - check out the "dimensions" - a 10 inch screen!
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dimensions[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Width[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.71 cm (0.673")[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Depth[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.298 cm (0.511")[/FONT]
    :Rofl1:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Of course now being an absolute Playbook fan - I'd urge anyone to consider carefully if they need/want the 10.1" screen... I found my iPad too cumbersome in real use, the 7" PB is pretty much the perfect size/weight (for me) and the 64gb is £60 cheaper new!
    (I note the Asus has a microsd slot so is expandable).

[/FONT]

• Like Like x 3
  4. hilldweller

Definitely. When reading a book for an hour or more it's a heavy beastie.

On the other hand the 10" screen is only just up to the FUN site. I'm not so sure a 7 inch screen would be big enough. Screen also governs on screen keyboard size, obviously 10" gives a bigger keyboard.

This is one thing people may not be looking at, screen resolution. Some cheap 7" ones are 800x400 whereas better tablets are 1200x800 ( approx ).

The asus is 1280x800.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Good points.

The PB has apparently a "1024×600 WSVGA" screen, but of course outputs 1080p up to 1980x1080 via HDMI.

I'm not sure what you mean about the 10" screen "only just up to the FUN site" ??
    This forum displays correctly on the PB screen - but I suppose it depends on one's eyesight :Laughing:.
    A double tap usually maximises the text size but this seems to be dependent on various forums software or webpage encoding as to how effective it is.
    For example, here a double tap zooms in but only as far as including the complete post window (the poster's details and avatar as still displayed) whereas on some forums the PB zooms in to the post text only.
    Of course, the text can be enlarged with a two finger stretch.

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Refurbished - from the listing
    As Langtoftlad says, with a warranty from somewhere as big as Tesco I wouldn't worry about the warranty.

Jill and I find the 7" screens of our Samsung tablets for for using Fun.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry

Terry Funster

Thing to watch out for Brian is they do not include the keyboard :Smile:
    I was looking at them a couple of days ago and comparison with another Samsung tablet both around 400 quid :Eeek:Ann wants the new SS with a pen ------me I think 150 quid for a pen is a lot compared to this 10 ins one for 250 :BigGrin:
    Terry

• Like Like x 1
  8. beerdrinker1

beerdrinker1 Funster

Hi Terry,

After asking Brians advice and him subsequently emailing me the link, ( he had obviously researched it for me !, shows how nice and helpful funsters are ), I have gone ahead and ordered one, not much to lose with the quality of the unit and Tesco 's backup,
    Re the Keypad and docking, they are available for just over £100 from Amazon, put the two together and its still a steal, the package price is normally about £400 or thereabouts for the package, will report back when I get it,
    Thanks Brian,
    Ken Beerdrinker :thumb: :drink:

9. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi beerdrinker1 you will not be disapointed with the Asus -it was on my shortlist along with the Samsung :thumb:TWO mates have one of each one the Asus and the other the Samsung -this is what swayed me to the Samsung- I got it for £250 but if the Asus would have been on offer for £180 I would have got that:BigGrin: and done without the keyboard :Smile:
    terry

10. hilldweller

I've not got a keyboard, it was available with or without. I paid £385 without.

This is a very grey area, do you want a tablet or a laptop ? A transformer with a keyboard is a laptop with no hard drive storage which makes it a very poor laptop.

For anyone who wants to do a lot of typing on a tablet there are bluetooth and USB keyboards available quite cheaply. So far I've not bothered because I always have a laptop/netbook for backing up my camera and for the odd program that demands windows - Eurosport viewer being one.

The genuine transformer keyboard is an oddball because it also contains extra ports and an extra battery doubling battery life. But the 8 hours of the basic tablet is good enough for me.

11. hilldweller

From now on let him be known as Hawkeye.

Here he is folks, before he joined FUN.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Do "Tablets" have the facility to print - to a wireless printer for instance ? :Smile:

13. Gromett

Gromett Funster

As I understand it some printers have an email to print function. You can use this via your wifi network. I know this is available on some HP printers I am sure it must be available on others?

It's not something I need tbh as I never print stuff out. I usually only go the other way. Scanning docs so I can get rid of the paper stuff.