LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think this could be a really good buy considering I paid double this for one and it's a top quality tablet. Mine came with Android 3 and it updated itself automatically to Android 4.

Only slight doubt is what is "refurbished".

Link Removed

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you can find an HP one, they were selling for £99 with Android 4. Very good system apparently, which is why everywhere is out of stock!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I wouldn't worry too much about it being "refurbished" with Tesco being the seller - they are usually pretty good. And if you change your mind, there's always the DSRs to fall back on.

Mind you - check out the "dimensions" - a 10 inch screen!
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dimensions[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Width[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.71 cm (0.673")[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Depth[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.298 cm (0.511")[/FONT]
:ROFLMAO:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Of course now being an absolute Playbook fan - I'd urge anyone to consider carefully if they need/want the 10.1" screen... I found my iPad too cumbersome in real use, the 7" PB is pretty much the perfect size/weight (for me) and the 64gb is £60 cheaper new!
(I note the Asus has a microsd slot so is expandable).

[/FONT]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'd urge anyone to consider carefully if they need/want the 10.1" screen..
[/FONT]

Definitely. When reading a book for an hour or more it's a heavy beastie.

On the other hand the 10" screen is only just up to the FUN site. I'm not so sure a 7 inch screen would be big enough. Screen also governs on screen keyboard size, obviously 10" gives a bigger keyboard.

This is one thing people may not be looking at, screen resolution. Some cheap 7" ones are 800x400 whereas better tablets are 1200x800 ( approx ).

The asus is 1280x800.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Good points.

The PB has apparently a "1024×600 WSVGA" screen, but of course outputs 1080p up to 1980x1080 via HDMI.

I'm not sure what you mean about the 10" screen "only just up to the FUN site" ??
This forum displays correctly on the PB screen - but I suppose it depends on one's eyesight :roflmto:.
A double tap usually maximises the text size but this seems to be dependent on various forums software or webpage encoding as to how effective it is.
For example, here a double tap zooms in but only as far as including the complete post window (the poster's details and avatar as still displayed) whereas on some forums the PB zooms in to the post text only.
Of course, the text can be enlarged with a two finger stretch.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Refurbished - from the listing
Refurbished items are customer returns. A large proportion of these items have never been used. They might for example, be unwanted gifts or products where customers have simply changed their mind which have then been returned to us.

They have been checked, inspected, repaired (if necessary), graded and reboxed (if necessary) complete with all accessories. They may have minor cosmetic marks that do not affect or hinder the functionailty in any way. All refurbished items will be clearly marked in the description. In some cases the item will still be in the original retail packaging which may be damaged, marked or scuffed.

These items offer excellent value for money along with the reassurance that they are supported by a full 12 month Tesco Outlet warranty.
As Langtoftlad says, with a warranty from somewhere as big as Tesco I wouldn't worry about the warranty.

Jill and I find the 7" screens of our Samsung tablets for for using Fun.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thing to watch out for Brian is they do not include the keyboard :Smile:
I was looking at them a couple of days ago and comparison with another Samsung tablet both around 400 quid :Eeek:Ann wants the new SS with a pen ------me I think 150 quid for a pen is a lot compared to this 10 ins one for 250 ::bigsmile:
Terry

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I was looking at them a couple of days ago and comparison with another Samsung tablet both around 400 quid :Eeek:Ann wants the new SS with a pen ------me I think 150 quid for a pen is a lot compared to this 10 ins one for 250 ::bigsmile:
Terry

Hi Terry,

After asking Brians advice and him subsequently emailing me the link, ( he had obviously researched it for me !, shows how nice and helpful funsters are ), I have gone ahead and ordered one, not much to lose with the quality of the unit and Tesco 's backup,
Re the Keypad and docking, they are available for just over £100 from Amazon, put the two together and its still a steal, the package price is normally about £400 or thereabouts for the package, will report back when I get it,
Thanks Brian,
Ken Beerdrinker :thumb: :drink:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi beerdrinker1 you will not be disapointed with the Asus -it was on my shortlist along with the Samsung :thumb:TWO mates have one of each one the Asus and the other the Samsung -this is what swayed me to the Samsung- I got it for £250 but if the Asus would have been on offer for £180 I would have got that::bigsmile: and done without the keyboard :Smile:
terry

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Terry

I've not got a keyboard, it was available with or without. I paid £385 without.

This is a very grey area, do you want a tablet or a laptop ? A transformer with a keyboard is a laptop with no hard drive storage which makes it a very poor laptop.

For anyone who wants to do a lot of typing on a tablet there are bluetooth and USB keyboards available quite cheaply. So far I've not bothered because I always have a laptop/netbook for backing up my camera and for the odd program that demands windows - Eurosport viewer being one.

The genuine transformer keyboard is an oddball because it also contains extra ports and an extra battery doubling battery life. But the 8 hours of the basic tablet is good enough for me.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Jill and I find the 7" screens of our Samsung tablets for for using Fun.

From now on let him be known as Hawkeye.

Here he is folks, before he joined FUN.

Attachments

• hawk.jpeg
    hawk.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 19

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Do "Tablets" have the facility to print - to a wireless printer for instance ? :Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As I understand it some printers have an email to print function. You can use this via your wifi network. I know this is available on some HP printers I am sure it must be available on others?

It's not something I need tbh as I never print stuff out. I usually only go the other way. Scanning docs so I can get rid of the paper stuff.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back