Bailey Motorhome Feedback

Discussion in 'Bailey Motorhomes' started by BMStewart2004, Nov 3, 2014.

1. BMStewart2004

BMStewart2004 Funster

Hi Folks
    We hired a MH this summer and followed the TDF in Northern France and to my surprise and delight Ms 5* Hotel loved it!
    The rotten weather for the first week did help us realise that the dinette design of the Chausson Flash 28 was a bit limiting for comfort in poor weather and as we will be in Scotland much of the time we'd like to have the benefit of a Fixed Bed design with bench seating at the front..
    We made a list of "suitable" MH and visited the NEC show the other week which was a great help in narrowing our choice.

Current choices
    Autotrail Tracker FB or RB
    Swift Bolero 682/722
    Bailey Autograph 730
    Elldis Encore 255

What I'd appreciate is some feedback on real life experiences of the Autograph 730 or Bailey motorhomes in general and the plus points of the various manufacturers, chassis and heating systems of the above manufacturers

Thanks and regards

2. scousebird

scousebird Funster

We've got an Approach 745 which is a fixed bed model. We find the bed quite spacious for a fixed one, some can be a bit small. We love the van, had it since May and the only problem we found was a leaking shower tray - it was a bit of missing sealant that was sorted quickly by our dealer. we have loads of storage, never filled it even when our daughter came with us to France for 9 days! We went for the dinette version as we travel to Liverpool regularly to visit family and we need the extra seat belt if our daughter comes with us but we find it quite comfortable and spacious enough for 2 or 3 of us. All in all we are very pleased with it. :happy:

3. Wicketter

Wicketter Funster

We have only just Pxed our Bailey which we had from new. We only changed it because we needed to downsize. We really loved our Bailey, we had the first fixed bed model with the front bench seats. Approach 740Se. Loads of room , storage and fab bathroom! The bed was truly comfortable and it was very much like taking all your home comforts with you. A few teething problems but all easily fixed by the dealer who was great. Looking forward to getting our new panel van in the spring as really missing the journeys! Good luck with your choices, everything is a compromise and what suits one doesn't suit another. The heating system was great by the way always warm and toasty in the winter.

4. Shazrick

Shazrick Funster

:BigGrin:Hi
    We had are Bailey 740 since April this year. done over 3000 miles and we love it. :BigGrin::h:
    up to now every thing is good. plenty of room for the two of us. The heating system is great keeps all the van nice and warm
    All in all a very nice van

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  5. BMStewart2004

BMStewart2004 Funster

Thanks both, any issues with build quality, heating etc?
    There seem to be some tales of iffy dealers etc on here

6. BMStewart2004

BMStewart2004 Funster

Thanks very much. I think the decision is going to be hard as most folks seem to love their own choices - I think we'll just have to visit shows decide on a budget and not let ourselves get carried away!

7. Shazrick

Shazrick Funster

Hi
    Yes every body likes there own choice, it was the layout and loads of storage space, that made us go for a Bailey,, ups and the price (y) (y)
    But as you say dont Rush as there is so many vans out

8. scousebird

scousebird Funster

No issues with the build quality on ours so far. We have had it since 1st May, done 2 holidays in France, a trip to Liverpool and most weekends away. Everything worked!

Can't speak for other dealers but ours, TC Motorhomes at Herne Bay, Kent were great and we had heard lots of good reports about them from other people.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DLT

DLT Funster

Hi The Bailey 730 is a 4 berth but only 2 seat belts

10. BMStewart2004

BMStewart2004 Funster

Thats fine - only 2 of us just too lazy to make up a bed every night :)
    Are there 4 belts on the 740? The Elddis with the hidden seats seems quite interesting but I cant see us taking the Grand children away yet ;)

11. Wicketter

Wicketter Funster

The build quality on ours was fine. We used Chipping Sodbury Caravans in Bristol as our dealer and I can honestly say they were brilliant! Motorhomes are technically complicated these days and have so many things that could go wrong that as long as you have a reliable dealer you're half way there. The Bailey was our 4th van from new and every one of them had things that needed to be sorted mainly minor, but sometimes just a pain to get fixed! I think the Bailey vans are excellent value for money and you can get all the spares. I think you just have to try and stay calm, forget about how much the van cost and just trust it will be fixed to your satisfaction. So far we have always been lucky and all our vans after a few teething troubles performed well. Lets hope our new van ( when we get it!) is as good!

12. Shazrick

Shazrick Funster

Hi bailey 740 has only 2 seat belts but can sleep 4 people

13. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Good to see this thread going, saves me asking same Q. We looked at a Bailey 765 today and put it on our possible list.

14. BMStewart2004

BMStewart2004 Funster

Trust a Weegie to name themselves after Scotlands "Other National Drink" :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. lorger

lorger Funster

Can't comment on the MH bit had a bailey caravan and very pleased with the build quality.

16. TeeCee

TeeCee Funster

17. TeeCee

TeeCee Funster

when i was researching for my third motorhome in 2012 (and my first new one) I couldn't believe that the value offered by Bailey. they offered things like air con, passenger air bag, heated and insulated fresh water tank, etc, etc, etc...and it looked amazing. everything else that offered similar seemed to be at least £10-15k more. so..had my 760Se for 2 years now and if anyone is thinking about Bailey then my advice is go for it! after sales is also top class. if I ever buy another van then I don't see myself buying any other make....fantastic all round!

18. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

One thing to consider with the Bailey is the width at 2.4m it's a wide van.
    Our last Hymer was 2.35, new Hymer is 2.2 the difference it makes just 5" narrower is quite unbelievable when maneuvering through medieval French villages, even though the van is longer still easier than the last one.

19. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

We have the Bailey 540 thats 2.346 wide

20. Wicketter

Wicketter Funster

I agree with lennyhb about the width. We had the Bailey 740SE and we loved it, the bed was so comfy and the dealership we bought it from were brilliant and good value for money, totally agree with TeeCee!. We sold it last year and are waiting for a new panel van conversion. The main reason we are changing is the width and with a Smart on tow, the length. We are probably a pair of wimps but want something we can take down narrow French roads and campsites without worrying! Everyone has different needs we really enjoyed the Bailey for the time we had it!

• Thanks Thanks x 1