Bailey Motorhome Feedback (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Hi Folks
We hired a MH this summer and followed the TDF in Northern France and to my surprise and delight Ms 5* Hotel loved it!
The rotten weather for the first week did help us realise that the dinette design of the Chausson Flash 28 was a bit limiting for comfort in poor weather and as we will be in Scotland much of the time we'd like to have the benefit of a Fixed Bed design with bench seating at the front..
We made a list of "suitable" MH and visited the NEC show the other week which was a great help in narrowing our choice.

Current choices
Autotrail Tracker FB or RB
Swift Bolero 682/722
Bailey Autograph 730
Elldis Encore 255

What I'd appreciate is some feedback on real life experiences of the Autograph 730 or Bailey motorhomes in general and the plus points of the various manufacturers, chassis and heating systems of the above manufacturers

Thanks and regards

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We've got an Approach 745 which is a fixed bed model. We find the bed quite spacious for a fixed one, some can be a bit small. We love the van, had it since May and the only problem we found was a leaking shower tray - it was a bit of missing sealant that was sorted quickly by our dealer. we have loads of storage, never filled it even when our daughter came with us to France for 9 days! We went for the dinette version as we travel to Liverpool regularly to visit family and we need the extra seat belt if our daughter comes with us but we find it quite comfortable and spacious enough for 2 or 3 of us. All in all we are very pleased with it. :happy:

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
We have only just Pxed our Bailey which we had from new. We only changed it because we needed to downsize. We really loved our Bailey, we had the first fixed bed model with the front bench seats. Approach 740Se. Loads of room , storage and fab bathroom! The bed was truly comfortable and it was very much like taking all your home comforts with you. A few teething problems but all easily fixed by the dealer who was great. Looking forward to getting our new panel van in the spring as really missing the journeys! Good luck with your choices, everything is a compromise and what suits one doesn't suit another. The heating system was great by the way always warm and toasty in the winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shazrick

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2009
::bigsmile:Hi
We had are Bailey 740 since April this year. done over 3000 miles and we love it. ::bigsmile::h:
up to now every thing is good. plenty of room for the two of us. The heating system is great keeps all the van nice and warm
All in all a very nice van

Last edited:
OP
OP
BMStewart2004
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks both, any issues with build quality, heating etc?
There seem to be some tales of iffy dealers etc on here

OP
OP
BMStewart2004
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Exp
::bigsmile:Hi
We had are Bailey 740 since April this year. done over 3000 miles and we love it. ::bigsmile::h:
up to now every thing is good. plenty of room for the two of us. The heating system is great keeps all the van nice and warm
All in all a very nice van
Thanks very much. I think the decision is going to be hard as most folks seem to love their own choices - I think we'll just have to visit shows decide on a budget and not let ourselves get carried away!

Shazrick

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2009
Hi
Yes every body likes there own choice, it was the layout and loads of storage space, that made us go for a Bailey,, ups and the price (y) (y)
But as you say dont Rush as there is so many vans out

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
No issues with the build quality on ours so far. We have had it since 1st May, done 2 holidays in France, a trip to Liverpool and most weekends away. Everything worked!

Can't speak for other dealers but ours, TC Motorhomes at Herne Bay, Kent were great and we had heard lots of good reports about them from other people.

DLT

Sep 2, 2013
pencoed
Funster No
MH
swift c/built
Exp
Hi The Bailey 730 is a 4 berth but only 2 seat belts

OP
OP
BMStewart2004
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi The Bailey 730 is a 4 berth but only 2 seat belts
Thats fine - only 2 of us just too lazy to make up a bed every night :)
Are there 4 belts on the 740? The Elddis with the hidden seats seems quite interesting but I cant see us taking the Grand children away yet ;)

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
The build quality on ours was fine. We used Chipping Sodbury Caravans in Bristol as our dealer and I can honestly say they were brilliant! Motorhomes are technically complicated these days and have so many things that could go wrong that as long as you have a reliable dealer you're half way there. The Bailey was our 4th van from new and every one of them had things that needed to be sorted mainly minor, but sometimes just a pain to get fixed! I think the Bailey vans are excellent value for money and you can get all the spares. I think you just have to try and stay calm, forget about how much the van cost and just trust it will be fixed to your satisfaction. So far we have always been lucky and all our vans after a few teething troubles performed well. Lets hope our new van ( when we get it!) is as good!

Shazrick

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2009
Hi bailey 740 has only 2 seat belts but can sleep 4 people

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Good to see this thread going, saves me asking same Q. We looked at a Bailey 765 today and put it on our possible list.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Can't comment on the MH bit had a bailey caravan and very pleased with the build quality.

TeeCee

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
romford, essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2011
when i was researching for my third motorhome in 2012 (and my first new one) I couldn't believe that the value offered by Bailey. they offered things like air con, passenger air bag, heated and insulated fresh water tank, etc, etc, etc...and it looked amazing. everything else that offered similar seemed to be at least £10-15k more. so..had my 760Se for 2 years now and if anyone is thinking about Bailey then my advice is go for it! after sales is also top class. if I ever buy another van then I don't see myself buying any other make....fantastic all round!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
One thing to consider with the Bailey is the width at 2.4m it's a wide van.
Our last Hymer was 2.35, new Hymer is 2.2 the difference it makes just 5" narrower is quite unbelievable when maneuvering through medieval French villages, even though the van is longer still easier than the last one.

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
I agree with lennyhb about the width. We had the Bailey 740SE and we loved it, the bed was so comfy and the dealership we bought it from were brilliant and good value for money, totally agree with TeeCee!. We sold it last year and are waiting for a new panel van conversion. The main reason we are changing is the width and with a Smart on tow, the length. We are probably a pair of wimps but want something we can take down narrow French roads and campsites without worrying! Everyone has different needs we really enjoyed the Bailey for the time we had it!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We have the early 740SE and apart from exterior storage access have no problems, the width has never bothered us and find it so much more roomy than anything else.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
To me the width of the body doesn't seem to make much difference our current van is 2.35 metres and the last one was the same.

What does seem to make a difference is the wider rear axle on the Pilote we have now, seems to make a difference on sharp corners, road junctions etc. Have to swing much wider to get round.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Don't have a problem with the width or the length but Alan is an HGV driver :D

TeeCee

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
romford, essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2011
It might be just me then...but one other thing I love about the Bailey 760SE is the 'extra' width! Yes...I know it makes the odd country lane a bit more exciting but that extra few inches really does seem to make a difference. (like it does in a lot of other cases!). Having said that....I'd love one with a slide out....but maybe buy a lottery ticket first!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't agree we have gone from 2.35 wide, 6.79 long, to 2.22 wide, 7.2 long and find the longer narrower van so much easier in tight situations, particularly in old French villages. As for living space the narrower van feels roomier that may be because we have changed to an A Class.

OP
OP
BMStewart2004
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Exp
This thread seems to have taken on a new life in the past day or so.
Since the original post we have been able to hire a 730 for our French holiday watching the TDF in the Alps.
Looks like we'll be having 3 or 4 days off grid on Col Du Glandon so that will make or break it :)
I just hope that the cassette lasts...

Scuba Steve

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
We have a Bailey 750 and it's brilliant, absolutely love it and had no problems, the extra width makes a huge difference!!!!!

TeeCee

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
romford, essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2011
Nice one Steve.....and if that's a real photo of you then a trip to the doc's is recommended!

Scuba Steve

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
To many Gorilla snot cocktails on New Years eve made me a bit green, not felt the same since
Love the carp profile pic, we do a bit of carp fishing, most have been 15-20lb but have have one 30lb

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back