Back2you tracker

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Reallyretired, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Just been looking at this

http://back2you.com/store/product_info.cfm?product_id=52

I saw it advertised in the motorcaravanners club mag. Just a single payment with no subscription but you have to monitor it yourself.

This one quite appealed to me as my van is in storage which is pretty secure, and it will text me if it's moved, whereas some seem to be only effective if you know the van's missing.

At £125 with no subscription it is pretty cheap. Anyone any experience of using it.

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

one question missing from the Q&A section.....

Q. will the police help to recover my vehicle ?

A. NO, they wont.

the police will only respond to a recognised tracker system with realtime transmissions so their in-car equipment can track it.

and it will only tell you where it WAS at the time of the text so constant phone calls are in order to keep up to date.

OK, you find the vehicle and its in the middle of a Itinerant camp...then what ?

3. aba

aba

i think as they do trade prices for more than 5 units maybe a funster discount could be had if there was enough interest.

seems ok and you can ring it to check its ok too.

4. aba

aba

thats when the petrol can comes out and we have a bonfire

5. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

This is perfectly true and I had thought of that, however my past experiences with the police when I have been a victim of crime do not cause me any optimism that they would do anything other than issue a crime number regardless of which tracker you had.
    At least with this I can remotely set off some extremely loud sirens in the van which may at least punish them a bit. :BigGrin:

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

from what i understand if it's a 'proper' tracker via a manned control centre then they inform the police and give them all the details and assistance needed.

wouldnt look very good if the police just ignored the request as they would have signed up to the system.

7. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

If they were that bothered about looking good they wouldn't do (or leave undone) quite a lot of things:Angry:

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Probably on ebay half the price.

It's a trivial piece of kit for the Chinese to make, bit of mobile phone plus a GPS chip.

I'll bet there's an Android app of two that will send a text whenever it moves. Used for child trackers aren't they ?

9. Phill D

Phill D

2 points from me....

1. There is an appp that lets you know where your phone is if stolen so it follows that a simple device with a sim card would do the same. So i believe Brian is correct.

2. On a real tracker, a police number is required for the tracking company and the police to work together, knowing exactly from eithers system what vehicle they are trying to locate. Also many of them allow auto switch off of ignition by the tracking centre at the request of the police, thus avoiding the need for a police chase when they locate the vehicle. Also this system is reistered and recognised throughout most of Europe by that countries police.

I have a tracker with a one off payment which is as 2 above. Ok is was a one off £399 but top value. i guess it depends on budget and what you want from it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  10. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

Similar, very similar on Ebay - 180961386314 :Wink:

11. Xabia

Xabia Funster

My son bought the £125 one to monitor my 17 year old grandson who was getting his first car. He has set a speed limit for him and if he exceeds this limit it sends a text to my son telling him the speed reached, the time and where. So far it has proved it's worth.

I bought the one fromebay, it is exactly the same device. I can tell it to advise me if it moves, I can immobilise it if stolen, to be legal this operates after the thief has turned the ignition off and then tries to restart it. You then know where the vehicle is and can ask the local police to secure it until you can get there.

Really good bit of kit at a low price.

Mike

12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Ummm.. You can now get a first generation Galaxy for less than £50.
    Put a payg sim in it, download the free tracker app to it

Put it under a seat permanently connected to the leisure battery via a charger lead.. Might have to do a top up once a year but thats about it...
    And you will always have a spare phone in an emergency too !

13. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

What in-car equipment are the Police using?

As I understand it, someone (eg; the Tracker Company) tells them where to go, just the same as you call and tell them in it's in the Itinerant camp and go with them to get it back as you have already reported it as stolen.....

14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Sorry but they ( the police ) now have several mobiles with tracking devices incorporated in the radio consul unit.
    All the major players use the same frequencies but different encryption so just the one receiver is required with a switchable tone decoder :Smile:

15. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Hi Jaws, you up late as well......:Laughing:

My (now 1st) best man, :RollEyes: is now a Detective Chief Super in the Met.

As I understand from him, their Vehicle Crime Squad have access to tracker info directly. Routine patrol cars and Beat Officers have not. This technology is normally only used if the vehicle in question was of "special interest" or was directly part of a Police Operation.

If I call my local Plod, and say my van has gone they do not have access directly to tracker info location devices without a third party being involved.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..
    being in the position I am I do have to work closely on occasion :Wink:

I have sat in a car with two ummmm 'people in uniform' who tracked a stolen bike to a lock up less than an hour after it was lifted.. They used info from a telephone service provider first ( so yes, you are right and a third party was involved, but only in a generic way ), then switched to the device that was built in to the consul, and finally swapped to a hand held unit when we entered a block of garages

That was over two years ago.. So a couple of possibilities... Due to cuts they no longer have the kit, orrrrr... ( more likely :Wink: ) those with scrambled egg on their hats are not exactly 'up' with what goes on at the sharp end :BigGrin:

Of course equally possible is that the met lads simply never had it in the first place ( though I do find that hard to believe or understand given the vehicle crime figures in some of the areas in the GLA )

• Like Like x 1
  17. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Not just similar, seems identical at less than half price. At that price I'll give it a go - ordered.:Smile:

edit, just noticed no SIM, still can get PAYGO from Asda, non expiring at 99p

18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Be careful with that kit..

The one that SEEMS cheap is not complete.

There is no activating/deactivating key fob and no siren ( possibly other parts missing too ? )

This is the supplied parts list:

1 X GPS Tracker GPS103A
    1 X GPS Antenna
    1 X GSM Antenna
    1 X Relay
    1 X Harness
    1 X User Manual
    1 X CD (GPS Manage Software)

This item ( 261131096885 )

lists the following as supplied:

1 X GPS/GSM/GPRS TRACKER TK103B
    1 X GPS Antenna (5 meters long)
    1 X GSM Antenna (3 meters long)
    1 X Remote Control
    1 X Harness
    1 X Microphone
    1 X Relay
    1 X Software CD
    1 X User Manuals (English)
    1 x Siren
    1 x Shock Sensor

19. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The cheap one does have the microphone but not siren or remote, however I don't really want the remote control (it can be armed/disarmed by text so not vital and a bit less obvious than a fob which will probably be kept on the keys or lost) and I can get a 100dB siren for £6. Shock sensor might be useful though, but there is one on the alarm of course.

20. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

So you are going to trust a Cheap Chineese peice of kit wired and left on your 12v battery 247 to make sure your van when and a very big IF gets stolen you might and thats a might big MIGHT get it back in some sort of useable condition..

I would hedge a bet that your van will be at more of a risk of catching fire with the Cheap Chineese bit of kit than of being stolen without it?

Just a thought,,,

But if you want my advice, if you feel you need it, speak to eddie vanbitz and get a proper jobbie, although Im probably being alittle unfair on our Chineese cousins. :Smile: