Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just been looking at this

Link Removed

I saw it advertised in the motorcaravanners club mag. Just a single payment with no subscription but you have to monitor it yourself.

This one quite appealed to me as my van is in storage which is pretty secure, and it will text me if it's moved, whereas some seem to be only effective if you know the van's missing.

At £125 with no subscription it is pretty cheap. Anyone any experience of using it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one question missing from the Q&A section.....

Q. will the police help to recover my vehicle ?

A. NO, they wont.

the police will only respond to a recognised tracker system with realtime transmissions so their in-car equipment can track it.

and it will only tell you where it WAS at the time of the text so constant phone calls are in order to keep up to date.

OK, you find the vehicle and its in the middle of a Itinerant camp...then what ?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i think as they do trade prices for more than 5 units maybe a funster discount could be had if there was enough interest.

seems ok and you can ring it to check its ok too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009

A. NO, they wont.

the police will only respond to a recognised tracker system with realtime transmissions so their in-car equipment can track it.

and it will only tell you where it WAS at the time of the text so constant phone calls are in order to keep up to date.

OK, you find the vehicle and its in the middle of a Itinerant camp...[HI]then what ?[/HI]

thats when the petrol can comes out and we have a bonfire

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

A. NO, they wont.

OK, you find the vehicle and its in the middle of a Itinerant camp...then what ?

This is perfectly true and I had thought of that, however my past experiences with the police when I have been a victim of crime do not cause me any optimism that they would do anything other than issue a crime number regardless of which tracker you had.
At least with this I can remotely set off some extremely loud sirens in the van which may at least punish them a bit. ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
from what i understand if it's a 'proper' tracker via a manned control centre then they inform the police and give them all the details and assistance needed.

wouldnt look very good if the police just ignored the request as they would have signed up to the system.

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
from what i understand if it's a 'proper' tracker via a manned control centre then they inform the police and give them all the details and assistance needed.

wouldnt look very good if the police just ignored the request as they would have signed up to the system.

If they were that bothered about looking good they wouldn't do (or leave undone) quite a lot of things:Angry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just been looking at this

Probably on ebay half the price.

It's a trivial piece of kit for the Chinese to make, bit of mobile phone plus a GPS chip.

I'll bet there's an Android app of two that will send a text whenever it moves. Used for child trackers aren't they ?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Probably on ebay half the price.

It's a trivial piece of kit for the Chinese to make, bit of mobile phone plus a GPS chip.

I'll bet there's an Android app of two that will send a text whenever it moves. Used for child trackers aren't they ?

2 points from me....

1. There is an appp that lets you know where your phone is if stolen so it follows that a simple device with a sim card would do the same. So i believe Brian is correct.

2. On a real tracker, a police number is required for the tracking company and the police to work together, knowing exactly from eithers system what vehicle they are trying to locate. Also many of them allow auto switch off of ignition by the tracking centre at the request of the police, thus avoiding the need for a police chase when they locate the vehicle. Also this system is reistered and recognised throughout most of Europe by that countries police.

I have a tracker with a one off payment which is as 2 above. Ok is was a one off £399 but top value. i guess it depends on budget and what you want from it.

Last edited:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Similar, very similar on Ebay - 180961386314 :winky:

My son bought the £125 one to monitor my 17 year old grandson who was getting his first car. He has set a speed limit for him and if he exceeds this limit it sends a text to my son telling him the speed reached, the time and where. So far it has proved it's worth.

I bought the one fromebay, it is exactly the same device. I can tell it to advise me if it moves, I can immobilise it if stolen, to be legal this operates after the thief has turned the ignition off and then tries to restart it. You then know where the vehicle is and can ask the local police to secure it until you can get there.

Really good bit of kit at a low price.

Mike

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ummm.. You can now get a first generation Galaxy for less than £50.
Put a payg sim in it, download the free tracker app to it

Put it under a seat permanently connected to the leisure battery via a charger lead.. Might have to do a top up once a year but thats about it...
And you will always have a spare phone in an emergency too !

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

A. NO, they wont.

the police will only respond to a recognised tracker system with realtime transmissions [HI]so their in-car equipment can track it.[/HI]

What in-car equipment are the Police using?

As I understand it, someone (eg; the Tracker Company) tells them where to go, just the same as you call and tell them in it's in the Itinerant camp and go with them to get it back as you have already reported it as stolen.....

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry but they ( the police ) now have several mobiles with tracking devices incorporated in the radio consul unit.
All the major players use the same frequencies but different encryption so just the one receiver is required with a switchable tone decoder :Smile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Sorry but they ( the police ) now have several mobiles with tracking devices incorporated in the radio consul unit.
All the major players use the same frequencies but different encryption so just the one receiver is required with a switchable tone decoder :Smile:

Hi Jaws, you up late as well......:roflmto:

My (now 1st) best man, :RollEyes: is now a Detective Chief Super in the Met.

As I understand from him, their Vehicle Crime Squad have access to tracker info directly. Routine patrol cars and Beat Officers have not. This technology is normally only used if the vehicle in question was of "special interest" or was directly part of a Police Operation.

If I call my local Plod, and say my van has gone they do not have access directly to tracker info location devices without a third party being involved.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..
being in the position I am I do have to work closely on occasion :winky:

I have sat in a car with two ummmm 'people in uniform' who tracked a stolen bike to a lock up less than an hour after it was lifted.. They used info from a telephone service provider first ( so yes, you are right and a third party was involved, but only in a generic way ), then switched to the device that was built in to the consul, and finally swapped to a hand held unit when we entered a block of garages

That was over two years ago.. So a couple of possibilities... Due to cuts they no longer have the kit, orrrrr... ( more likely :winky: ) those with scrambled egg on their hats are not exactly 'up' with what goes on at the sharp end ::bigsmile:

Of course equally possible is that the met lads simply never had it in the first place ( though I do find that hard to believe or understand given the vehicle crime figures in some of the areas in the GLA )

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Be careful with that kit..

The one that SEEMS cheap is not complete.

There is no activating/deactivating key fob and no siren ( possibly other parts missing too ? )

This is the supplied parts list:

1 X GPS Tracker GPS103A
1 X GPS Antenna
1 X GSM Antenna
1 X Relay
1 X Harness
1 X User Manual
1 X CD (GPS Manage Software)

This item ( 261131096885 )

lists the following as supplied:

1 X GPS/GSM/GPRS TRACKER TK103B
1 X GPS Antenna (5 meters long)
1 X GSM Antenna (3 meters long)
1 X Remote Control
1 X Harness
1 X Microphone
1 X Relay
1 X Software CD
1 X User Manuals (English)
1 x Siren
1 x Shock Sensor

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Be careful with that kit..

The one that SEEMS cheap is not complete.

There is no activating/deactivating key fob and no siren ( possibly other parts missing too ? )

This is the supplied parts list:

1 X GPS Tracker GPS103A
1 X GPS Antenna
1 X GSM Antenna
1 X Relay
1 X Harness
1 X User Manual
1 X CD (GPS Manage Software)

This item ( 261131096885 )

lists the following as supplied:

1 X GPS/GSM/GPRS TRACKER TK103B
1 X GPS Antenna (5 meters long)
1 X GSM Antenna (3 meters long)
1 X Remote Control
1 X Harness
1 X Microphone
1 X Relay
1 X Software CD
1 X User Manuals (English)
1 x Siren
1 x Shock Sensor

The cheap one does have the microphone but not siren or remote, however I don't really want the remote control (it can be armed/disarmed by text so not vital and a bit less obvious than a fob which will probably be kept on the keys or lost) and I can get a 100dB siren for £6. Shock sensor might be useful though, but there is one on the alarm of course.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
So you are going to trust a Cheap Chineese peice of kit wired and left on your 12v battery 247 to make sure your van when and a very big IF gets stolen you might and thats a might big MIGHT get it back in some sort of useable condition..

I would hedge a bet that your van will be at more of a risk of catching fire with the Cheap Chineese bit of kit than of being stolen without it?

Just a thought,,,

But if you want my advice, if you feel you need it, speak to eddie vanbitz and get a proper jobbie, although Im probably being alittle unfair on our Chineese cousins. :Smile:

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
So you are going to trust a Cheap Chineese peice of kit wired and left on your 12v battery 247 to make sure your van when and a very big IF gets stolen you might and thats a might big MIGHT get it back in some sort of useable condition..

I would hedge a bet that your van will be at more of a risk of catching fire with the Cheap Chineese bit of kit than of being stolen without it?

Just a thought,,,

But if you want my advice, if you feel you need it, speak to eddie vanbitz and get a proper jobbie, although Im probably being alittle unfair on our Chineese cousins. :Smile:

Valid point. Eddies item is no longer available with the lifetime sub. I take your point about fire though, it's consumption is only 80mA so I will connect it with a 500mA cartridge fuse, which will blow before anything gets hot.:thumb:
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/500ma-20mm-Glass-Fuse-Quick/dp/B003O97HGE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1357496566&sr=8-3"]500ma 20mm x 5mm Glass Fuse Quick Blow: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics[/ame]

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

hi i have a back2you fitted 4, 3 years now it will let you locate it via long/lat find on google earth, you can activate internal microphone, panic button [up to 5 numbers] can activate geo-fence and motion detect, mine also has the engine immobiliser i can text engine to stop day/night. would i recommend it " yes" fitted by kieth marlow of autoarm sutton in ashfield notts:Doh:

ps also ask kieth about cat alarm device / will activate van alarn if interfered with.piece of mind comes with feeling safe ans secure
happy new year 2 all

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
we have a tracker in our van which is similar to this, it has a sim in it and i text it at least once every 3 months to keep the sim live it also has sensors on it so if its move or wheels lifted off the ground it will text me. Only problem is when i mentioned it on here someone put a link to a bit of kit that plugs intot he 12v socket and disables the sim signal. so hopefully if we do change the Motorhome i would invest in a proper tracker.

here it is here was in mh when we bought it
http://www.plantsecurity.co.uk/services/tracking.aspx

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
I bought a similar unit off of ebay, yes cheap and I think mine was from Hong Kong.

Remote control I didnt need one as I set mine to transmit on Habitat space door opening or vehicle move. I disable by a hidden switch, its also worth noting you can set a delay.

Battery usage is always up for debate on a motor home I use a small rechargeable battery 12v fire alarm type I charge it when we out and about but if it starts to run flat the unit sends me a text.

In summary for the money I was pleased, these units all have similar firmware and software having many functions that can be user configured:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Cheap units are absolutely no good, whatsoever. They will tell you where is is.....it may not be as accurate, and may be a few minutes behind but it will telll you where it is.

But what good is that to you when you know your vehicle is in a barn, and you are shouting at the police outside as they shrug their shoulders and state that they have no authority to investigate it. They cannot make a search, or gain a warrant on your hearsay - they need a recognised and accepted proven system that can be relied upon and linked into theirs. Which means you know where it is, you wasted your time and fuel finding it (the police won't find it - you will have the only access) - but unless it drives out, you cannot do anything about it!

Which gives the theives all the time they need to find, disconnect and strip your vehicle or emerge in 6 months with a new indentity. Not worth the saving of a couple of huindred punds when you are talking something the value of a motorhome.

I can supply real ones at a discount - but IIRC, Eddie vanbotz has a system which is slightly cheaper but of a similar capability which is available to funsters at a special rate. The rates are good - so give him a buzz!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back