Back From The Peak District....

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by W18BLA, Feb 27, 2011.

1. W18BLA

W18BLA Funster

Hey all

Well we are back from our trip to the Peak District where we stayed at "Rivendale" Camping site which in my opinion is not as i hoped for :Sad: We arrived on site at bang on the dot 2pm Thursday where i had to fill up the water for the MotorHome at a fillup point where someone was washing there dog, I was not impressed. Then we trundled to the pitch, across a wet muddy road, (Ok it is a old quarry) but not to my liking, Anyway lets make the most of it as we are there now,

Water on board time to run it through........ Shower tap is now a sprinkler lol. Don't panic as most know i am a caravan engineer so it wont be hard to stop lmao..... 1 hr later and i stopped it with some cardboard cut out and placed inside the tap as the cartridge has broke..
    Now i have never seen these taps before but i have to say i like alot atleast its only a cartridge i have to change HAPPY DAYS £11 delivered to my house and arrived yesterday...

Anyway back to the site.

Advertised as having a kids play area what a joke.... i have seen more kids playthings a pub in the middle of nowhere...

Then the laundrette with the Tumble dryer that dont dry :Eeek: they loved us for that as they washed 3 lots of cloths at the reception area lol....

I am sure the site is better in the summer but it was not the best and will be the last time we go..

Then there was the last day today when i ask for the key to open the dump area for me to dump my waste water.... No key and i was asked if i would dump it at home or away from site :Eeek:... So i did the best thing i could on this and Dumped it on there car park over a drain and was shouted at across car park although it was ok for the man to clean has tractor with a jet wash 10ft away. I just gave a pleasant smile and waved good bye..

So all in all a great start to 2011 MHF meets better be better lol...

Anyway home and dry and alot of JD was drunk.

Craig

2. shirlandy

shirlandy Funster

hi Craig i have seen this site advertised in the big pitch guide thought it sounded ok but glad of your info.regards Andy&Shirley:thumb::thumb:

3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Thanks Craig, forewarned is forearmed.

4. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin: At least you didn't get bored Craig.

5. johnpengers

johnpengers Funster

Thanks Graig,Have been looking at that site for a week in the summer,not anymore !!

Regards JohnP
    :thumb:

6. W18BLA

W18BLA Funster

Me bored never if that happens i just drink more lol.....

Roll on Newark thats all i say....

:Wink:

7. Dalek

Dalek Read Only Funster

Thats one site we looked at to meet up half way with my brother sometime, wont bother now :thumb:

Dale

8. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

Oh Craig sorry to hear about your first 2011 outing, hope you took plenty JD with you.

Kate

9. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

HI mate we where the same we done a runner from the Vic bikers pub wot a dump

10. W18BLA

W18BLA Funster

Sorry to hear yours was no good Martin lets hope Newark is more fun lol..

11. smudger

smudger Funster

HI mate we where the same we done a runner from the Vic bikers pub wot a dump

martin,shame on you,,,,,,,it was not a dump at all, it was a complete shitehole.:Sad:

12. drago35uk

drago35uk Funster

Been to Rivendale myself..........NEVER AGAIN!

13. Timetraveller

Timetraveller Funster

Thanks for info on Riverdale, had planned to go there for a couple of days next month, we'll look at another site now.:thumb:

14. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

Hi Craig

When somebody complains about a site that is mentioned in the Big Pitch Guide, I make it my duty to investigate whether the complaint is justified - because if it is, I take the site out of the Guide without any question whatsoever.

In this case, I have dis-sected your complaint to remove the items that have nothing to do with the site - e.g. you shower not working properly - and have then taken up the remaining points with the site for their response.

Your first comment was that the water point that you had to use was being used by someone washing a dog. OK, shouldn't have been happening - BUT there are plenty of other water-points around the site, so you were not forced specifically to use that one point.

Then you comment on the road being wet and muddy although to be fair you do say that the site was once a quarry - but you also forget to say that it is February, it had been raining and roads do get wet and muddy, like it or not.

Not enough toys in the kids play area - maybe so - but there are toys and there is a kids play area - from their web-site:

The junior play area is conveniently located in the middle of the pitching area and provides younger children with an entertaining obstacle course with Burma Bridge and Wobble board and swings. Please note parents should provide supervision whilst their children are using the play area.

You don't say how old your children are - so maybe they are not classed as 'juniors'.

You then comment on the tumble drier not working - but maybe what you didn't say is that you possibly didn't use the washing machine - you washed the laundry in the sink and it was still dripping wet when you put it into the tumble drier. You complained to the reception that the tumble drier wasn't working and they offered to tumble dry your laundry for you - which they did, happily.

Then you say that there was no key for the dump point - the reception say that it might have been mis-placed for a short while but that there was no way they were going to ask you to take it home etc. They do have problems with drainage on their site because of 'reed-bed' filtering etc - I quote from their web site:

A new motorhome wash-out facility has been completed permitting motorhomes of up to 44’ in length with drop-tanks to empty them on site. Please note whilst this facility is provided without charge for motorhomes staying overnight with bio-degradeable chemicals in their holding tanks, there is a charge made for the disposal of waste from holding tanks containing non-biodegradeable chemicals – so please arrive on site with empty tanks or bio-degradeable products in them. Environmentally-friendly additives are available from the shop offering considerable savings per litre of waste treated compared to the highly toxic (usually blue)formaldehyde-based products – please help us protect our environment whilst saving you money!

Finally you comment on the fact that someone was washing a tractor with a jet-wash whilst you emptied your tanks down a man-hole cover. I cannot comment on that except to say that the site owners are absolutely adamant that they do not have a jet wash on site - although they would quite like one.

The RV side of life has enough problems as it is getting sites to accept us - these people do and have done so for the past five years without complaint.

I find it sad that you did not feel that you could make your comments face-to-face with management on site rather than trying to slip it anonymously onto this web-site.

Dick from the Big Pitch Guide.

• Like Like x 1
  15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Very strange. You got two glowing reports from FUNsters, it's like you went to the wrong site.

Can't resist ! If only you'd listened to me :RollEyes:

16. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Glad you made the best of it.:Wink:

17. JJ

JJ Funster

You lot will insist on staying at camp sites... :Wink: :Wink: :Wink:

JJ :Rofl1:

18. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

The reason we were given for not being able to dump our waste was that the lock was frozen. A different day, a different excuse.:cry:

19. W18BLA

W18BLA Funster

I have edited above with my answers to your post above in bold,

I am a caravan/motorhomer for 15yrs + i understand the everyone has a different view on sites and what to expect, and with the other person also on here saying they were told the locks was frozen is a poor excuse....

If you like i will praise the site to high heaven and say everyone should go there we had a great time and the staff where fantastic and my kids had a great time in the kids play area. But i would be a liar and that is not what i do sorry...

I would be rather annoyed if someone told me a site was fantastic and amazing and for me to turn up and be unhappy....

Craig (Just my opinion)

20. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Well said Graig there's a lot on here that fink we dont have opinions or a sense of humer :thumb::thumb::thumb: