Back From The Peak District.... (1 Viewer)

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Hey all

Well we are back from our trip to the Peak District where we stayed at "Rivendale" Camping site which in my opinion is not as i hoped for :Sad: We arrived on site at bang on the dot 2pm Thursday where i had to fill up the water for the MotorHome at a fillup point where someone was washing there dog, I was not impressed. Then we trundled to the pitch, across a wet muddy road, (Ok it is a old quarry) but not to my liking, Anyway lets make the most of it as we are there now,

Water on board time to run it through........ Shower tap is now a sprinkler lol. Don't panic as most know i am a caravan engineer so it wont be hard to stop lmao..... 1 hr later and i stopped it with some cardboard cut out and placed inside the tap as the cartridge has broke..
Now i have never seen these taps before but i have to say i like alot atleast its only a cartridge i have to change HAPPY DAYS £11 delivered to my house and arrived yesterday...

Anyway back to the site.

Advertised as having a kids play area what a joke.... i have seen more kids playthings a pub in the middle of nowhere...

Then the laundrette with the Tumble dryer that dont dry :Eeek: they loved us for that as they washed 3 lots of cloths at the reception area lol....

I am sure the site is better in the summer but it was not the best and will be the last time we go..

Then there was the last day today when i ask for the key to open the dump area for me to dump my waste water.... No key and i was asked if i would dump it at home or away from site :Eeek:... So i did the best thing i could on this and Dumped it on there car park over a drain and was shouted at across car park although it was ok for the man to clean has tractor with a jet wash 10ft away. I just gave a pleasant smile and waved good bye..

So all in all a great start to 2011 MHF meets better be better lol...

Anyway home and dry and alot of JD was drunk.

Craig

Apr 19, 2009
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
hi Craig i have seen this site advertised in the big pitch guide thought it sounded ok but glad of your info.regards Andy&Shirley:thumb::thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thanks Craig, forewarned is forearmed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Thanks Graig,Have been looking at that site for a week in the summer,not anymore !!

Regards JohnP
:thumb:

OP
OP
W18BLA

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Me bored never if that happens i just drink more lol.....

Roll on Newark thats all i say....

:winky:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Thats one site we looked at to meet up half way with my brother sometime, wont bother now :thumb:

Dale

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Oh Craig sorry to hear about your first 2011 outing, hope you took plenty JD with you.

Kate

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs
HI mate we where the same we done a runner from the Vic bikers pub wot a dump

martin,shame on you,,,,,,,it was not a dump at all, it was a complete shitehole.:Sad:

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Been to Rivendale myself..........NEVER AGAIN!

Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for info on Riverdale, had planned to go there for a couple of days next month, we'll look at another site now.:thumb:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Craig

When somebody complains about a site that is mentioned in the Big Pitch Guide, I make it my duty to investigate whether the complaint is justified - because if it is, I take the site out of the Guide without any question whatsoever.

In this case, I have dis-sected your complaint to remove the items that have nothing to do with the site - e.g. you shower not working properly - and have then taken up the remaining points with the site for their response.

Your first comment was that the water point that you had to use was being used by someone washing a dog. OK, shouldn't have been happening - BUT there are plenty of other water-points around the site, so you were not forced specifically to use that one point.

Then you comment on the road being wet and muddy although to be fair you do say that the site was once a quarry - but you also forget to say that it is February, it had been raining and roads do get wet and muddy, like it or not.

Not enough toys in the kids play area - maybe so - but there are toys and there is a kids play area - from their web-site:

The junior play area is conveniently located in the middle of the pitching area and provides younger children with an entertaining obstacle course with Burma Bridge and Wobble board and swings. Please note parents should provide supervision whilst their children are using the play area.

You don't say how old your children are - so maybe they are not classed as 'juniors'.

You then comment on the tumble drier not working - but maybe what you didn't say is that you possibly didn't use the washing machine - you washed the laundry in the sink and it was still dripping wet when you put it into the tumble drier. You complained to the reception that the tumble drier wasn't working and they offered to tumble dry your laundry for you - which they did, happily.

Then you say that there was no key for the dump point - the reception say that it might have been mis-placed for a short while but that there was no way they were going to ask you to take it home etc. They do have problems with drainage on their site because of 'reed-bed' filtering etc - I quote from their web site:

A new motorhome wash-out facility has been completed permitting motorhomes of up to 44’ in length with drop-tanks to empty them on site. Please note whilst this facility is provided without charge for motorhomes staying overnight with bio-degradeable chemicals in their holding tanks, there is a charge made for the disposal of waste from holding tanks containing non-biodegradeable chemicals – so please arrive on site with empty tanks or bio-degradeable products in them. Environmentally-friendly additives are available from the shop offering considerable savings per litre of waste treated compared to the highly toxic (usually blue)formaldehyde-based products – please help us protect our environment whilst saving you money!

Finally you comment on the fact that someone was washing a tractor with a jet-wash whilst you emptied your tanks down a man-hole cover. I cannot comment on that except to say that the site owners are absolutely adamant that they do not have a jet wash on site - although they would quite like one.

The RV side of life has enough problems as it is getting sites to accept us - these people do and have done so for the past five years without complaint.

I find it sad that you did not feel that you could make your comments face-to-face with management on site rather than trying to slip it anonymously onto this web-site.

Dick from the Big Pitch Guide.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am sure the site is better in the summer but it was not the best and will be the last time we go..
Craig

Very strange. You got two glowing reports from FUNsters, it's like you went to the wrong site.

Can't resist ! If only you'd listened to me :RollEyes:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
The reason we were given for not being able to dump our waste was that the lock was frozen. A different day, a different excuse.:cry:

OP
OP
W18BLA

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Hi Craig

When somebody complains about a site that is mentioned in the Big Pitch Guide, I make it my duty to investigate whether the complaint is justified - because if it is, I take the site out of the Guide without any question whatsoever.

In this case, I have dis-sected your complaint to remove the items that have nothing to do with the site - e.g. you shower not working properly - and have then taken up the remaining points with the site for their response.

Your first comment was that the water point that you had to use was being used by someone washing a dog. OK, shouldn't have been happening - BUT there are plenty of other water-points around the site, so you were not forced specifically to use that one point. - I Asked about other points and was pointed to that one and as also ask if there was another near my pitch and was told "Use that one it's easier"

Then you comment on the road being wet and muddy although to be fair you do say that the site was once a quarry - but you also forget to say that it is February, it had been raining and roads do get wet and muddy, like it or not. - " Didn't need to say it was February as my post was for the weekend just gone and everyone knows, Not posted anywhere i could see that it is a muddy pot-hole site"

Not enough toys in the kids play area - maybe so - but there are toys and there is a kids play area - from their web-site:

The junior play area is conveniently located in the middle of the pitching area and provides younger children with an entertaining obstacle course with Burma Bridge and Wobble board and swings. Please note parents should provide supervision whilst their children are using the play area.

You don't say how old your children are - so maybe they are not classed as 'juniors'.- My Kids are 5 and 8 Juniors in my eyes"

You then comment on the tumble drier not working - but maybe what you didn't say is that you possibly didn't use the washing machine - you washed the laundry in the sink and it was still dripping wet when you put it into the tumble drier. You complained to the reception that the tumble drier wasn't working and they offered to tumble dry your laundry for you - which they did, happily. Agree they did dry our cloths so they should and we did use there washer so thats a lie they said the dryer was not working, There comment also to us was "We are not a launderette" No your not but you have the facilities so don't argue if they are not working"

Then you say that there was no key for the dump point - the reception say that it might have been mis-placed for a short while but that there was no way they were going to ask you to take it home etc. They do have problems with drainage on their site because of 'reed-bed' filtering etc - I quote from their web site: I was asked to take it home and was asked to by staff

A new motorhome wash-out facility has been completed permitting motorhomes of up to 44’ in length with drop-tanks to empty them on site. Please note whilst this facility is provided without charge for motorhomes staying overnight with bio-degradeable chemicals in their holding tanks, there is a charge made for the disposal of waste from holding tanks containing non-biodegradeable chemicals – so please arrive on site with empty tanks or bio-degradeable products in them. Environmentally-friendly additives are available from the shop offering considerable savings per litre of waste treated compared to the highly toxic (usually blue)formaldehyde-based products – please help us protect our environment whilst saving you money!

Finally you comment on the fact that someone was washing a tractor with a jet-wash whilst you emptied your tanks down a man-hole cover. I cannot comment on that except to say that the site owners are absolutely adamant that they do not have a jet wash on site - although they would quite like one. There was someone washing a agricultural vehicle i am sorry it looked like a tractor and it was spraying like a jet wash sorry i was not 100% on that..

The RV side of life has enough problems as it is getting sites to accept us - these people do and have done so for the past five years without complaint.

I find it sad that you did not feel that you could make your comments face-to-face with management on site rather than trying to slip it anonymously onto this web-site. I did comment to management and they did help in some of my problems but i am just letting people know our problems with the site and i feel everyone has a right to do this.

I have edited above with my answers to your post above in bold,

I am a caravan/motorhomer for 15yrs + i understand the everyone has a different view on sites and what to expect, and with the other person also on here saying they were told the locks was frozen is a poor excuse....

If you like i will praise the site to high heaven and say everyone should go there we had a great time and the staff where fantastic and my kids had a great time in the kids play area. But i would be a liar and that is not what i do sorry...

I would be rather annoyed if someone told me a site was fantastic and amazing and for me to turn up and be unhappy....

Craig (Just my opinion)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I find it sad that you did not feel that you could make your comments face-to-face with management on site rather than trying to slip it anonymously onto this web-site.

How on earth can he "slip it in anonymously" on here ?

You could have saved a lot of typing by just saying "You are a liar" because that is how your message comes across.

But I must admit, I am confused by two FUNsters giving the site the thumbs up.

Is he a liar then ?

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Is he a liar then ?

That is totally un-necessary comment - and totally unfair - I did not say that - nor did I imply it!

Craig has expressed his views of the site as he saw it - and that is fair enough comment - however, when I put a site into the Big pitch Guide - I need 'balanced' comment on the site - we have already had 5 years of good comment on this site and suddenly there is a bad report appears - so needless to say, it has to be checked out thoroughly.

Both sides of the story need to be checked before you can gain a balanced judgement - and I felt that the opposite side of the story to Craig's should also receive a hearing - which has now been done.

People are free to make their own judgement - and most people on here do - but they should be given ALL the facts of the case - not just those that make the story a little more interesting.

Dick

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That is totally un-necessary comment - and totally unfair - I did not say that - nor did I imply it!
Dick

I think you were very biassed towards your site. You tossed every argument you could against a FUNster making up what might have happened with no knowledge of the reality ( the washing machine, the age of his kids ). He's detailed it well enough.

Where I'm sitting it's FUN and FUNsters first, clearly where you sit it's your sites are innocent until proven guilty.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Other than the site how did you find the surrounding area?
Wyn

It's "my" area. Where I've driven and ridden for years. That part is just isolation. If you like to be on a main road miles from anywhere that's the place for you.

But ten or so miles NE and you'll find this:
http://www.greenhillsholidaypark.co.uk/
A nice walk into Bakewell which is a quaint town with of course The Bakewell Pudding Shop and loads of other shops and eateries.

15 miles north and you have the splendour of the Peak District hill at Castleton.
http://www.castleton.co.uk/

20 miles north and see the Snake Pass and the Dambusters training grounds.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I think you will find Brian that if Dick has a site listed that gets a bad report, he checks it out and if the report is justified it is dropped from the book, and i dont think Dick classes them as 'his' sites but he has spent a lot of time putting his guide together for larger vehicles and i can understand him not wanting to find he has sites that do not come up to par - just the same as other site guides dont want them and considering there were 2 similar reports for the same site.

That being said it is still 'winter' and sites are not manned and fully open at this time of year.

Maybe Dick should of pm'd Craig and the two ofus rather than asked on the open forum then others couldnt confuse the item with their intervention

By the way the sites you put up look very nice

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think you will find Brian that if Dick has a site listed that gets a bad report, he checks it out and if the report is justified it is dropped from the book

That's not what prompted my response, it was the intense attack on a FUNster. There's screen full and it's signed Dick from the Big Pitch Guide.

This is FUN, I'm after reasonable treatment for FUNsters.

Brian from MotorHomeFun.

And I'm still puzzled by the two posts recommending the site. I keep an ope mind.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
My sole reason for responding to Craig was looking after the interest of MY members - the members of the Big Pitch Guide.

Chatter says that maybe I should have put my thoughts into a 'pm' - maybe I should BUT that would not have put forward a balanced view of the site response.

They told me that they had no idea that the party left with a complaint - as far as the site management were concerned everything had been sorted - and they were more than a little upset when I told them of the complaint.

I have said it before on here and I will say it for as long as I am allowed to - I protect the interest of MY members and at the same time I try to protect the interest of the sites that look after my members.

Throughout this Country we are desperately short of sites willing to take RVs and for those sites that willingly take RVs, I willingly look after their interest as well.

End of Story

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Well, there's nowt so queer as folk!

l have been on camp sites in the past, and what l would call, peaceful, well kept, and quaint,
could be translated by some as, boring, regimental, and out of the way.

So, l believe there is two sides to every story, and both sides should be investigated.

l am a member of the BPG, and l would be a little upset if a site was reported as, "a gem" if it was, as rough as gorse.

I personally think Dick has a point, and should check out the site in question. Equally Wibbla has a valid point, if he thinks it's not up to scratch.

But, when things go wrong, complaints tend to intensify the problems, and equally, when praised, it's magnified. Remember how big the fish was that got away?

If you were in Greece and it never stopped raining all the time you were there, it would be dreadful.
If you were in Lowestoft, in the scorching sunshine, it would be heaven.

Is Suffolk better than Greece, or just at that time?

Have a bit of empathy.

Craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back