babys going away for a while

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by SC 05 OUT, Nov 10, 2012.

1. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

Im just of to take my m/h in for a full preventive reseal, its 7 ish years old old now and whislt ist dry I want it to stay that way. So Im off to camper UK to drop it off and it should be done by Thursday, then next week it hopfully going in for a valate and polish to protect it for winter, I might overspray it with finagins winter protector stuff to help it as well when its back as I cant see me getting away again befor well past the new year. But its been a good year out every other weekend since March and a trip to France so Im pleased with this years traveling.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

What's the going rate for a reseal for a van that size and what's involved?
    Also I was wondering what makes you think you need one ,do the seals on vans perish.
    Cheers Vlad.

• Like Like x 1
  3. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :Smile:

4. bungy

bungy Funster

glad im not the only one wanting to know:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. haganap

Come on Scout the susspense is killing us three ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. mick noe

mick noe Funster

ditto 4

• Like Like x 1
  7. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

Sorry to delay answer but the internet went down again

Ok
    Like most autotrails the sealant around the seams is looking unsightly, it’s cracking and peeling. Whilst this is mostly cosmetic and no damp it present it seemed wise to have it removed and re-done. This decision was compounded by the need for a proper valet and polish as the rear gel coat has lost it shine and it’s going in for that in a week or so. It therefore was a no brainer to have the entire cosmetic work done first, there are a few very small paint chips and a small chip to the gas bottle surround glass fibre all being made good. Whilst it’s in I’m having a seal put around all lockers and roof lights again just preventative but I believe this it is worth having done on a van of this age. Finally on one of the windows the wallboard paper has rippled, you see this lots on autotrails, I’m not sure if it happens on other makes of van or not, but the inner surround is being removed and the board is being sorted. So all in all mostly cosmetic work to her back into “as new” shape then off to be cleaned and polished to finish her off.

This way next year I will have a van I know wont leak in pristine condition that I can be proud of.

As to the price its day and a half’s labour and good few tubes of sealant and is costing me £600 Inc vat, I got several quotes this was the middle one, but more importantly it was from a company that comes as highly recommended.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  8. haganap

wow

Thank god for that, I never slept a wink last night :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Sounds a really good idea. Something in a couple of years that I would consider myself if I was going to be keeping the wagon for any length of time.

Have you considered waxoil as well?
    That was the first thing I was going to get done next year, but this year was cambelt, next year will be new tyres all round.
    So maybe the year after I would go for the reseal if I were keeping the van. At the moment, I see no reason why not. Its a beauty and the only way to get anything out your van is by keeping it and using the money you would spend on a new one by working less and getting out more :thumb:

be great to see the finished results,
    Does the £600 include the valet and chip removal?

9. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

The valeting being done by our very own manda300gt his place is very near to me so thats extra, but the rest is in the price, the paint chips are only going to be touched up not repainted, but the chip in the G/F is around the size of a 50p so tats being done.

As you rightly say its no good not having proper maintaiace done, wheters its cam belt, tyres, or body work. Im a true beliver in keeping things right just in case you want to sell. I did miss a corker of an Arapaho not many weeks ago becase mine was not looking as if it had been looked after and I felt it would not reach the proper value.

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

What work have they quoted for doing the resealing ?

Are they doing a 'proper' job and removing the hab windows, roof light(s), vents etc and renewing the mastic. ?

if not then personally I think it's too expensive..

11. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

no the hab windows are not being re-sealed the only window work being do is remove inner trim, fix the paper face on the board and refit trim.

too much? you wont have been happy then with a £1500 qoute for the same work!! which i got from another company. I did have cheaper quotes but I went a company whom I have had previous experance and who has came highly recommended to me. Remember 20% of the price is vat,

The hourly rate is IIRC £50 ph inc vat

• Like Like x 1
  12. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Jim windows come with there own seal now - a rubber bubble gasket, it's only us self builders that use tube sealent as well :Wink::BigGrin:The big boys trust the buble :Doh:
    The only seals I can think of that Scout may be having done are the ones between the joints in the panels and I think that will just be a case of trimming excess seal that has squashed out masking up and putting new seal on -- no way will they be seperating any panels,scraping out/cleaning /resealing if they did they would just be asking for trouble :Eeek:
    Jim I think we are onthe same wavelengh :Wink::BigGrin:
    terry

13. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

exactly correct, as Ive allready said, mainly cosmetic, nothing wrong in having a smart looking van, its something given time, a large shed, and lots pataince (non of which I have) I could have done myself but I choose not to,:thumb:

you boys into surfin then or just fishin:Eek!:

• Like Like x 1
  14. bungy

bungy Funster

seems reasonable to me...but then, like you, id prefer to pay a bit more for peace of mind, and no one can determine that price but yourself :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  15. scotjimland

If not the windows, what about the roof light and vents(if any) .. they should be resealed every 5 years or so .. or is your van quite new ?

I didn't realise the dealers rates were so much.. .. then again, never used one.. so I wouldn't know .. But fair enough, if you are happy with the work being quoted for .. that's what matters. :Smile:

16. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

I talked to the fitter about taking them out completely, he did damp check and as there was no sign of any damp, we decided just to clean around the parameter and do an over seal on the edges. All vents/ lockers etc are being treated in this way, the vans 7 yeas old in the spring and autotrails in particular seem to suffer from the sealant cracking along the joint covers. Last show I went too I purposely looked at vans my age and they were all the same, in fact the fitter said mine was one the better ones and the only work "they" recommended having done was over the wheel arches, however I decided to have the whole van done.

I suppose my paranoia comes from having had damp caravans in the past

• Like Like x 2
  17. scotjimland

me too.. and once bitten twice shy ..

I had to rebuild the whole back end of a van due to damp... the frames were like grey sawdust, it was only being held together by the ally panel.. Not a hard job, but boy is it time consuming .. I'd hate to pay a dealer for that kind of work.. you'd be talking telephone numbers :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  18. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

I know, thats way prevention is better than cure:thumb: