LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Im just of to take my m/h in for a full preventive reseal, its 7 ish years old old now and whislt ist dry I want it to stay that way. So Im off to camper UK to drop it off and it should be done by Thursday, then next week it hopfully going in for a valate and polish to protect it for winter, I might overspray it with finagins winter protector stuff to help it as well when its back as I cant see me getting away again befor well past the new year. But its been a good year out every other weekend since March and a trip to France so Im pleased with this years traveling.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
What's the going rate for a reseal for a van that size and what's involved?
Also I was wondering what makes you think you need one ,do the seals on vans perish.
Cheers Vlad.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
What's the going rate for a reseal for a van that size and what's involved?
Also I was wondering what makes you think you need one ,do the seals on vans perish.
Cheers Vlad.

what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Sorry to delay answer but the internet went down again

Ok
Like most autotrails the sealant around the seams is looking unsightly, it’s cracking and peeling. Whilst this is mostly cosmetic and no damp it present it seemed wise to have it removed and re-done. This decision was compounded by the need for a proper valet and polish as the rear gel coat has lost it shine and it’s going in for that in a week or so. It therefore was a no brainer to have the entire cosmetic work done first, there are a few very small paint chips and a small chip to the gas bottle surround glass fibre all being made good. Whilst it’s in I’m having a seal put around all lockers and roof lights again just preventative but I believe this it is worth having done on a van of this age. Finally on one of the windows the wallboard paper has rippled, you see this lots on autotrails, I’m not sure if it happens on other makes of van or not, but the inner surround is being removed and the board is being sorted. So all in all mostly cosmetic work to her back into “as new” shape then off to be cleaned and polished to finish her off.

This way next year I will have a van I know wont leak in pristine condition that I can be proud of.

As to the price its day and a half’s labour and good few tubes of sealant and is costing me £600 Inc vat, I got several quotes this was the middle one, but more importantly it was from a company that comes as highly recommended.

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Sorry to delay answer but the internet went down again

Ok
Like most autotrails the sealant around the seams is looking unsightly, it’s cracking and peeling. Whilst this is mostly cosmetic and no damp it present it seemed wise to have it removed and re-done. This decision was compounded by the need for a proper valet and polish as the rear gel coat has lost it shine and it’s going in for that in a week or so. It therefore was a no brainer to have the entire cosmetic work done first, there are a few very small paint chips and a small chip to the gas bottle surround glass fibre all being made good. Whilst it’s in I’m having a seal put around all lockers and roof lights again just preventative but I believe this it is worth having done on a van of this age. Finally on one of the windows the wallboard paper has rippled, you see this lots on autotrails, I’m not sure if it happens on other makes of van or not, but the inner surround is being removed and the board is being sorted. So all in all mostly cosmetic work to her back into “as new” shape then off to be cleaned and polished to finish her off.

This way next year I will have a van I know wont leak in pristine condition that I can be proud of.

As to the price its day and a half’s labour and good few tubes of sealant and is costing me £600 Inc vat, I got several quotes this was the middle one, but more importantly it was from a company that comes as highly recommended.

wow

Thank god for that, I never slept a wink last night :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sounds a really good idea. Something in a couple of years that I would consider myself if I was going to be keeping the wagon for any length of time.

Have you considered waxoil as well?
That was the first thing I was going to get done next year, but this year was cambelt, next year will be new tyres all round.
So maybe the year after I would go for the reseal if I were keeping the van. At the moment, I see no reason why not. Its a beauty and the only way to get anything out your van is by keeping it and using the money you would spend on a new one by working less and getting out more :thumb:

be great to see the finished results,
Does the £600 include the valet and chip removal?

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
wow

Thank god for that, I never slept a wink last night :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sounds a really good idea. Something in a couple of years that I would consider myself if I was going to be keeping the wagon for any length of time.

Have you considered waxoil as well?
That was the first thing I was going to get done next year, but this year was cambelt, next year will be new tyres all round.
So maybe the year after I would go for the reseal if I were keeping the van. At the moment, I see no reason why not. Its a beauty and the only way to get anything out your van is by keeping it and using the money you would spend on a new one by working less and getting out more :thumb:

be great to see the finished results,
Does the £600 include the valet and chip removal?

The valeting being done by our very own manda300gt his place is very near to me so thats extra, but the rest is in the price, the paint chips are only going to be touched up not repainted, but the chip in the G/F is around the size of a 50p so tats being done.

As you rightly say its no good not having proper maintaiace done, wheters its cam belt, tyres, or body work. Im a true beliver in keeping things right just in case you want to sell. I did miss a corker of an Arapaho not many weeks ago becase mine was not looking as if it had been looked after and I felt it would not reach the proper value.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What work have they quoted for doing the resealing ?

Are they doing a 'proper' job and removing the hab windows, roof light(s), vents etc and renewing the mastic. ?

if not then personally I think it's too expensive..

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp

Are they doing a 'proper' job and removing the hab windows, roof light(s), vents etc and renewing the mastic. ?

no the hab windows are not being re-sealed the only window work being do is remove inner trim, fix the paper face on the board and refit trim.

too much? you wont have been happy then with a £1500 qoute for the same work!! which i got from another company. I did have cheaper quotes but I went a company whom I have had previous experance and who has came highly recommended to me. Remember 20% of the price is vat,

The hourly rate is IIRC £50 ph inc vat

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Hi Jim windows come with there own seal now - a rubber bubble gasket, it's only us self builders that use tube sealent as well :winky:::bigsmile:The big boys trust the buble :Doh:
The only seals I can think of that Scout may be having done are the ones between the joints in the panels and I think that will just be a case of trimming excess seal that has squashed out masking up and putting new seal on -- no way will they be seperating any panels,scraping out/cleaning /resealing if they did they would just be asking for trouble :Eeek:
Jim I think we are onthe same wavelengh :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Hi Jim windows come with there own seal now - a rubber bubble gasket, it's only us self builders that use tube sealent as well :winky:::bigsmile:The big boys trust the buble :Doh:
The only seals I can think of that Scout may be having done are the ones between the joints in the panels and I think that will just be a case of trimming excess seal that has squashed out masking up and putting new seal on -- no way will they be seperating any panels,scraping out/cleaning /resealing if they did they would just be asking for trouble :Eeek:
Jim I think we are onthe same wavelengh :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

exactly correct, as Ive allready said, mainly cosmetic, nothing wrong in having a smart looking van, its something given time, a large shed, and lots pataince (non of which I have) I could have done myself but I choose not to,:thumb:

you boys into surfin then or just fishin:whatthe:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
no the hab windows are not being re-sealed the only window work being do is remove inner trim, fix the paper face on the board and refit trim.

too much? you wont have been happy then with a £1500 qoute for the same work!! which i got from another company. I did have cheaper quotes but I went a company whom I have had previous experance and who has came highly recommended to me. Remember 20% of the price is vat,

seems reasonable to me...but then, like you, id prefer to pay a bit more for peace of mind, and no one can determine that price but yourself :thumb:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

If not the windows, what about the roof light and vents(if any) .. they should be resealed every 5 years or so .. or is your van quite new ?

I didn't realise the dealers rates were so much.. .. then again, never used one.. so I wouldn't know .. But fair enough, if you are happy with the work being quoted for .. that's what matters. :Smile:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
If not the windows, what about the roof light and vents(if any) .. they should be resealed every 5 years or so .. or is your van quite new ?

I didn't realise the dealers rates were so much.. .. then again, never used one.. so I wouldn't know .. But fair enough, if you are happy with the work being quoted for .. that's what matters. :Smile:

I talked to the fitter about taking them out completely, he did damp check and as there was no sign of any damp, we decided just to clean around the parameter and do an over seal on the edges. All vents/ lockers etc are being treated in this way, the vans 7 yeas old in the spring and autotrails in particular seem to suffer from the sealant cracking along the joint covers. Last show I went too I purposely looked at vans my age and they were all the same, in fact the fitter said mine was one the better ones and the only work "they" recommended having done was over the wheel arches, however I decided to have the whole van done.

I suppose my paranoia comes from having had damp caravans in the past

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I talked to the fitter about taking them out completely, he did damp check and as there was no sign of any damp, we decided just to clean around the parameter and do an over seal on the edges. All vents/ lockers etc are being treated in this way, the vans 7 yeas old in the spring and autotrails in particular seem to suffer from the sealant cracking along the joint covers. Last show I went too I purposely looked at vans my age and they were all the same, in fact the fitter said mine was one the better ones and the only work "they" recommended having done was over the wheel arches, however I decided to have the whole van done.

[HI]I suppose my paranoia comes from having had damp caravans in the past[/HI]

me too.. and once bitten twice shy ..

I had to rebuild the whole back end of a van due to damp... the frames were like grey sawdust, it was only being held together by the ally panel.. Not a hard job, but boy is it time consuming .. I'd hate to pay a dealer for that kind of work.. you'd be talking telephone numbers :Eeek:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
me too.. and once bitten twice shy ..

I had to rebuild the whole back end of a van due to damp... the frames were like grey sawdust, it was only being held together by the ally panel.. Not a hard job, but boy is it time consuming .. I'd hate to pay a dealer for that kind of work.. you'd be talking telephone numbers :Eeek:

I know, thats way prevention is better than cure:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back