b584 or bc 584 ?

Discussion in 'Hymer' started by lebesset, May 31, 2009.

1. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

am thinking of buying a used M/H of this layout

I see both of these advertised ...can someone tell me what is the difference ... interior photo's look identical to me!

2. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I presume you are referring to Hymer? In which case I would guess the the references are to B Klasse and B Classic (B and BC). More recently these have been referred to as B SL and B Classic. The B, or B SL is the better finished version. B Classic is a cheaper option. Since the introduction of Alko rear chassis on the Fiat-based vehicles (late 90s / early 2000s), there has been a technical difference too. B Klasse / B SL are built on a double-floored Alko chassis. B Classic use the original Fiat chassis throughout and therefore do not have double floors. As one further potential complication, Mercedes-based versions were called SXXX during the 90s and B Starline in the early 2000s. These are finished to the same standard as the B Klasse / B SL, but do not use the Alko double floor rear chassis.

Hope I have answered the right question.

Philip

3. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

thanks for that ......like to make it complicated , don't they !
    do you happen to know what the difference in the finish is ? looking at photo's cant spot anything ...I have a feeling that people put in pics of a similar model sometimes :Smile:

4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I agree it is hard to see the difference in pictures. Often, the catalogue photos show extras like leather upholstery so it is hard to make a real comparison. I think the best plan is to look at real vans rather than pics. I suspect many of the differences between B SL and B CL (or Classic) are not immediately visible - technical stuff and the like. Also, I guess it depends on whether you are comparing new or second hand and specs change over time. On the Hymer AG web site currently, if one compared the B SL 514 with the B CL 514 for example, there is around €10,000 difference in list price.
    It would be worth your while talking to a few expert Hymer dealers - independents as well as Brownhills Hymer (the official importer). Three independents that I am aware of are in the links below.

Edgehill Motorhomes

Hambilton Engineering

Deepcar

Philip

5. xpo

xpo Read Only Funster

Can't see the piccys you referred to but our B class 584 with an Al-Ko chassis has the water tanks etc under the floor , the kitchen cupboard fronts are curved, when we recently looked at a similar 584 Classic it did not have the Al-Ko chassis the fresh water tank was built into the cupboard behind the table and the kitchen cupboard unit had a straight front.

6. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

We have the 584 Classic and as xpo says the only difference we can see is that we don't have the Al-Ko chassis, and so the price for the Classic is less.
    We have travelled extensively with our van Morocco/Spain/Greece/Italy etc and have had faultless journeys so think its just finding which 584 suits you. Carol