awnings

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Steve Oraa, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Steve Oraa

Steve Oraa Read Only Funster

Hi all, I am in south west Spain and I need to sort out an awning for our Peugeot Boxer, Swift Royale 1995 model. It is fitted with a Fiamma roll out awning but I need something like an add on 'conservatory' type. I am new to all this and would appreciate any advice offered. I have been told that a heavy cotton type is better for Spain because of the winds although I'm not sure.
    Steve.

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the heavy duty old type driveaway awnings are certainly robust but very heavy and bulky to travel with. I much prefer the khyam motordome, as it has all the benefits of a strong aluminium frame but also a lightweight flysheet. most of the modern alternatives have thin fibreglass poles designed to bend with the wind, leading to weak points

3. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

2 yrs ago we spent Jan,Feb,March at Marjal-we had taken a cheap,lightweight,conservatory type,or Porch awning and kept it up all the time to see how it would last-we left it in a skip as we drove out :LOL:
    However,we have now bought a Kampa air awning and can't wait to try that. Recently, in high winds,we heard no noise from this awning and felt confident that it would do well in Spain. I have read reports that air awnings 'give' in high winds-I have also read opinions that they would not fair well in high winds.