Automatic V Manual on Motorhome (4 Viewers)

Auyomatic or Manual

• Automatic

Votes: 101 78.3%
  • Manual

Votes: 28 21.7%

• Total voters

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
I've just voted for Automatic.
It was one of the features we looked for when searching mobile.de. The convenience of not having to bother about changing gear was attractive. Also, Mr has been driving an automatic car for the past 10 years, and says he wouldn't go back to a manual.
Ours is a 3 litre, 177bhp, 4.25t. with cruise control. It also has a hill assist facility. Mpg? No idea.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
We have a 130hp Fiat auto which, on balance, I like. Two negatives though:

The van almost stops when changing up from 1st to 2nd. I'm used to it now, but disconcerting for folk behind on roundabouts etc.

Reversing with finesse is difficult. I need a double height ramp (the higher one is on bricks) on one rear wheel when parking at my house to keep the van almost level. It's hard to control speed, you are either accelerating or braking. No opportunity to "slip the clutch". As a consequence, I went off the back once. Trashed the ramps, and knocked down a fence. I was lucky not to reverse down a 30 degree garden slope into the house!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Reversing with finesse is difficult.
One of the occasions when it's best to slip the Fiat Comfortmatic into manual I guess.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
One of the occasions when it's best to slip the Fiat Comfortmatic into manual I guess.
That won't make any difference.
With both Fiats & Fords, reverse gear is higher than first regardless of being comformatic or manual never wise to reverse onto ramps if you value your clutch

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Use the brake to control it. Hold the van on the hand or foot brake, increase revs until it is trying hard to move, keep throttle steady, use brake to control movement. Don't spend too long doing it because, just as in a manual manual (as opposed to the Comfortmatic robotic manual) you are slipping the clutch.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I dont know why they call them automatic instead of self changing , as the lack of torque converter makes them behave totally different to a true auto .

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You are lucky
We had no choice, my wife couldn't push the clutch in all the way so we have to accomodate the extra expense and weight of the auto !
, I bought the merc auto so that my wife would drive it.BUT she absolutely refuses to even have it explained how the van function, luightd starter, etc,
God know what happens if I am incapacitated . We stay there forever????????

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
We've had BMW automatic cars for the last 20years and they are fantastic. We now have a Nissan Navara automatic, which is also great to drive. Three years ago we bought a Toyota Yaris as a 2nd vehicle which had a semi automatic gear box, similar to the comfortmatic. It was ok but it was lumpy and would roll back on hills. So when it came to choosing our latest motorhome and getting the wife to drive it, it had to be on a Mercedes with a proper Automatic box. Verdict? Outstanding and oh so smooth.

Pete

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
I always thought automatics were for old folks! But seemingly drifting rapidly into that category and after 18 months of owning one I think it is the speediest thing since muesli and weetabix. The Merc. 3 litre V6 coupled with 7 Gtronic and cruise is as smooth as silk and when requested will leave tailgaters standing. It is especially good on continental motorways where you can maintain a constant speed and relax.

May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Free if you use the money you save by buying your van from Europe
Sorry if this is a bit late after the original post, but am I missing something here? Is there any way of buying a new van in Europe (direct from factory?) at a reduced cost?

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sorry if this is a bit late after the original post, but am I missing something here? Is there any way of buying a new van in Europe (direct from factory?) at a reduced cost?
You can potentially save lots of money if you buy from a European dealer.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You would usually buy from a dealer in Europe BUT yes I believe it is possible to save some cash, dont take our word for it though and get a price of both.

Martin

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I actually don’t know why anybody prefers a manual! Boy racers excepted:)

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Yes, you can buy one from any dealer in Europe, we dealt with Campirama in Belgium. Problem is, Brexit has so drastically reduced the value of the pound so savings are not so great. Just search their websites for prices, also look at Palmowski.de and Durrawang, which are also good, but there are many many more obviously.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Surely that depends how good the automatic is, in years gone by some were pretty dire and even now the Agile on the IVECO daily does not enjoy the best reputation and on that basis I would have a manual over it, or am I a "boy racer" can live in hope(y)

Martin

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Following on from above, we worked out an exact spec for what we wanted and simply emailed UK and continental dealers. We had a couple of good quotes back from the continentals within days, but NOT from the so called leading UK dealer !!!!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes, you can buy one from any dealer in Europe, we dealt with Campirama in Belgium. Problem is, Brexit has so drastically reduced the value of the pound so savings are not so great. Just search their websites for prices, also look at Palmowski.de and Durrawang, which are also good, but there are many many more obviously.

Indeed used Flairs and Concordes for example are fetching a lot of money (or asking anyway) on mobile.de

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Following on from above, we worked out an exact spec for what we wanted and simply emailed UK and continental dealers. We had a couple of good quotes back from the continentals within days, but NOT from the so called leading UK dealer !!!!
Never heard that before

NOT:LOL:

My e-mails to a UK dealer were going into their "junk" folder for a year while the dealers in Germany were answering overnight, don't know where my money will be going(y)

Martin

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Is that just motorhome or everything. At work if it’s a job with a lot of reversing I much prefer a manual, I guess it depends on the solar of driving you do.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

But Brexit has not devalued the pound to a level it was back in late 2000's

Why do people always blame Brexit?

Just negotiate a better deal.

Apple, like many manufacturers blamed Brexit for Price increases. But I dont recall them doing the same back in the day, 30th December 2008 when £1 just about got you a Euro?, when we were almost at parity, long before "Brexit".

One of our Suppliers (liebherr) last year, hiked their prices to us by 20%. We just dont use them anymore, simple.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I prefer an Automatic, but a true Automatic.

Our Fiat is a Manual. But we have had Robotised Manuals (think Sprintshift, Agile, Comfortmatic etc). We have also had Automatic Torque converter motorhomes. I also own two Sprinter Traveliners. One is 5G-Tronic, the other 7G-Tronic. The Seven speed is brilliant.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
But Brexit has not devalued the pound to a level it was back in late 2000's

Why do people always blame Brexit?

Just negotiate a better deal.

Apple, like many manufacturers blamed Brexit for Price increases. But I dont recall them doing the same back in the day, 30th December 2008 when £1 just about got you a Euro?, when we were almost at parity, long before "Brexit".

One of our Suppliers (liebherr) last year, hiked their prices to us by 20%. We just dont use them anymore, simple.
Brexit or not the £ is currently not worth what it was compared to the €, in 2006 for example when we bought our van the rate was about 1.45 so our £52K would have been €75k in Germany, now the same van is about €66k (OK gone down over 6 years) but that would now need around £58k to buy in Germany in €'s so do we sell for more than we paid for it(y):LOL: this currency thing works two ways.

Martin

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I have had auto cars for donkeys years 1st a Ford Granada in 1985 and since then and currently Mercs of various marks

All three of my MoHos have been auto 1st a Rapido Merc with a robotised box and then a Fiat Knaus also with a robotised box, had no issues with either of them, however my current MoHo is a Hymer on a Merc with a "true" auto box which seems a bit smoother that the robotised ones and with 7 gears is a bit more flexible :)

Autos rule OK!! :cautious:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Surely that depends how good the automatic is, in years gone by some were pretty dire and even now the Agile on the IVECO daily does not enjoy the best reputation and on that basis I would have a manual over it, or am I a "boy racer" can live in hope(y)

Martin
Were talking proper autos Martin, none of your iffy Agile stuff mate

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a 6 speed torque converter auto box on my car and a 6 speed manual on the motorhome.
I cant say I really find much difference when I swap from one to the other.
I like the fact that there is much less to go wrong with the manual.
I gather the comfortmatic, potentially the worst of both worlds, may be a problem on roundabouts. The French love their roundabouts. I would not refuse to buy a motorhome just because it had comfortmatic, in my experience it doesnt take many miles to become familiar with the characteristics of any vehicle.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Is that just motorhome or everything. At work if it’s a job with a lot of reversing I much prefer a manual, I guess it depends on the solar of driving you do.
Everything, why do you prefer reversing with a manual? Auto for everything with me apart from motorbikes!:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back