Automatic V Manual on Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Auyomatic or Manual

• Automatic

Votes: 101 78.3%
  • Manual

Votes: 28 21.7%

• Total voters
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Think I would like an auto if I could ever afford a newer van I certainly want to change our car for an auto.
Can I ask @Lenny HB why your changing your van it looks a beauty ?

Also @Robert Clark Your van also looks great why would you want to change yours ? And what vans are up for consideration ?

Sorry if I am being too nosey

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Which do you guys prefer?

How does an automatic cope on very steep ferry ramps or other places where high revs and low speed is required. Have experienced no problem

How does MPG compare ? Very similar

Can you use Comfotmatic and cruise control together? Yes

On steep downhills I can use my engine to slow down by changing down a gear - what happens on an automatic? There are various buttons with Comfortmatic which help control - you can also slip it into manual - and you still have brakes!

Would appreciate your exprience - Brilliant but don't make your decision on the basis of a short test drive 'cos you won't like it.

EDIT; To be clear, I'm asking about the Comfortmatic robotised gearbox

Thanks
Robert
We previously had a manual 3.0L 160 (4250Kg GVW) and now have a Comfortmatic 3.0L 180 (4200 GVW) and after a little getting used to would not now go back to manual.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Think I would like an auto if I could ever afford a newer van I certainly want to change our car for an auto.

Also @Robert Clark Your van also looks great why would you want to change yours ? And what vans are up for consideration ?

Sorry if I am being too nosey

Hi Paul
Although my van is a good one, it was not built to my own spec.
I've loved owning it and have had some great adventures, but it will soon be 2 years old, so time to consider a change, enabling me to have exactly the spec I want.
Currently considering an N&B Arto - going to have a look at one tomorrow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Don't know if you have had the opportunity to visit the factory/showroom at Polch, we combined a holiday on the Moselle with a visit. An amazing place, every model on show, some great garage fittings etc that you just don't see here. Fabulous vans and build quality, just too "big" for us. Good luck!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Paul
I've loved owning it and have had some great adventures, but it will soon be 2 years old, so time to consider a change, enabling me to have exactly the spec I want.
Very nice!
Make sure you leave the credit card at home. :D

Richard.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Think I would like an auto if I could ever afford a newer van
I see you are only a youngster, once the mortgage is paid off and kids have left it is much easier to waste money on new vans, the downside is you don't have so long left to enjoy it.:D
We were not really intending to change but did want a van with a better payload, nicer kitchen layout and a bit posher. Got a deal we couldn't refuse, a trade of not a lot less than we paid for the van and a big discount off the new one, gone for a Hymer B678 Dynamic Line, hope to be popping over to Belgium in a few weeks to pick it up.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I see you are only a youngster, once the mortgage is paid off and kids have left it is much easier to waste money on new vans, the downside is you don't have so long left to enjoy it.:D

We were not really intending to change but did want a van with a better payload, nicer kitchen layout and a bit posher. Got a deal we couldn't refuse, a trade of not a lot less than we paid for the van and a big discount off the new one, gone for a Hymer B678 Dynamic Line, hope to be popping over to Belgium in a few weeks to pick it up.
May I ask how much deposit you had to pay on ordering?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
A personal experience?. 3 R-V`s. (4 if you count the rental) Auto`s "slush boxes" all. Excellent to drive, Expensive to maintain!. Now down-sized to a Fiat 2.3 with 6sp manual box which has been Rebuilt twice!.

I am assuming that the "Comformatic" is a robotised version of my "6 speed box" so I would be reluctant to have one. Expecting the (inevitable) extra (Repair) costs of the "Automation" on top of the Expense of the Standard Fiat Box would be horrendous!.

My god daughter`s husband runs a small fleet of high mileage Mercedes Sprint-shift Vans, and swears by them, far less than he swears at them. So I reckon that my Next move would be an "A" class on the Mercedes base with an Auto (sprint shift) box, `cos i cannot justify a new motor-home and the complexity of the transmissions is becoming stupid.

But as I said that is a personal thought?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
All my recent cars have been autos. On the UK's congested roads a clutch can sometimes be literally too painful for my knackered left knee. My VW Westy campervan has a conventional automatic gearbox with torque converter. I had to import it from Germany because there wasn't one for sale in the UK. Once it gets up to cruising speed and the torque converter locks up it is very economical and has a 1200 km range on one tankful, similar to the manual version.

Ten years later I am still happy with it, but SpeedyDuxette insisted we must trade up to a larger PVC with washroom and fixed bed layout. Unfortunately all the pre-ordered stock and demonstrators we viewed only had manual gearboxes. Dealers in my region seem unwilling to take the risk of pre-ordering a few with the Comfortmatic gearbox. I've now ordered a PVC with the 150 engine option and Comfortmatic. This thread has given me a bit of reassurance that I have done the right thing choosing a Fiat instead of another VW based MH which in any case would have been significantly above my budget. Thanks - to all who contributed their experience of the Comfortmatic.

Only 3 months to go now until delivery and I'm getting excited!

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
....but SpeedyDuxette insisted we must trade up to a larger PVC with washroom and fixed bed layout....Only 3 months to go now until delivery and I'm getting excited!
Just being curious, which PVC did you go for ? Those two requirements mirrored my own and I ended up choosing an AS Kingham.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Just being curious, which PVC did you go for ? Those two requirements mirrored my own and I ended up choosing an AS Kingham.

After a lot of research, we finally decided on a 5.4m Rapido V43. I liked the V55 with transverse washroom and clever patented "modulspace" wardrobe but a 6m length is a bit too tricky to park if used as a daily driver. I no longer have a car because the Westy can go anywhere and can even "limbo" under height barriers.

Factors that ruled out PVC direct competitors included absence of spare wheel, the ubiquitous double tambour plastic washroom doors, too small fridge, no wardrobe, no flyscreen, options more expensive, less payload, or dealer too far away. The nearest AS would be the Symbol, but the layout does not suit us and it lacks storage. Shame, because I really like the AS flush glass windows and exterior styling.

I am hoping that this PVC will be the one I want to keep for the next 10 years. Fingers crossed!

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Hi Paul
What were your impressions of the N&B Arto compared to your current M/H?

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Hi,

Could whoever put the voting panel onto this thread please correct the spelling??? It kills me every time I look at it!! :))

Also, how about a third choice: Comfortmatic or Semi-automatic? I would always choose that over a traditional auto box, as the losses from the torque converter are quite considerable, and hit you in the wallet with higher fuel consumption!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Tiptronic box has the knockdown facility, just nudge the lever to the left a couple of times and it goes down two gears, good on steep hills. However ICELAND delivery drivers were calling Mercedes out with fault, Because they had accidentally nudged the lever left with their knee, locking it in whatever gear it was in or the one below . It would not change up and they thought it had broken. The company told the drivers to read the manual, ????????????? first. My friend had a Westphalia Columbus, Fiat and he has to lock it in low to get into his drive. It would not have it otherwise.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi,

Could whoever put the voting panel onto this thread please correct the spelling??? It kills me every time I look at it!! :))

Also, how about a third choice: Comfortmatic or Semi-automatic? I would always choose that over a traditional auto box, as the losses from the torque converter are quite considerable, and hit you in the wallet with higher fuel consumption!
I think you need to look at your own spelling before commenting on others.:D

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
I've always thought that automatics were for dozey old folks. But am now 100% converted. Our new Hymer has the Merc V6 3 litre with 7G ironic and cruise...it's just magic, so smooth and quiet and relaxing on long runs. Guess I must have become a dozey old git.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Where did you get the extra 10hp?:D2
The nice salesman said I could have it
in exchange for me taking him a Fray Bentos Pie when I go to collect the van.
They're made with horses aren't they?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Now come on Robert. Don't leave us all hanging. We need to know make , model, extras ordered, who bought from, and discount obtained. You know what nosy sods we all are :D2

I'm happy to tell all - But Mrs C says don't be nosey

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I've always thought that automatics were for dozey old folks. But am now 100% converted. Our new Hymer has the Merc V6 3 litre with 7G ironic and cruise...it's just magic, so smooth and quiet and relaxing on long runs. Guess I must have become a dozey old git.

Apologies, but I couldn't resist highlighting the irony in a post partially about dozey old folk :D

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Wot @peterc10 said. ;)
We need to know what you're getting. :LOL:

Richard.

IMG_6626.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun