Aquarolls Abroad

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Gin Palace, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Gin Palace

Gin Palace Read Only Funster

hi
    First timers abroad shortly and wondering about water top up as staying on some sites for long periods
    Do many people take aquarolls or is it just easier to take a long hosepipe/smaller water carriers for filling up?

2. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Longish hosepipe and watering can. But then we rarely stay on sites for long periods. If we wanted to do that we would have got a caravan. :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

We normally use a collapsible bucket and a funnel, one for waste and a different one for fresh water. Many sites don't have a proper MH service point and the last two we have been on didn't have any outside water taps and you had to take water from the washing up sinks. A lot of folk use a watering can, they are fine if you have the space to store them.

4. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

Hi there! We have travelled abroad a lot with a caravan but this year will be the first with a motorhome. Yes, we will be using aires etc, but we are going for 4-5 weeks and would like to spend some time relaxing rather than being on the road every (or other) day! So yes, we will be taking our aquaroll as we have used it when sited for a few days on rallies etc and found it much easier! It lives in the shower whilst travelling so it's not in the way. And having a Bailey means we have a Whale connection on the outside of the motorhome anyway. You'll have all sorts of reply on here, but it's what suits you the best that's important! Have a wonderful trip!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gin Palace

We are in no rush travelling for 9mths

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gin Palace

Thank you yes we also like to relax! have a great trip! (y)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  8. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

I use a large watering can and just top up every now and then but it does take up a fare amount of space so two of those collapsible thingys @MinxyGirl recommends are ideal, one for each hand, also gives your arms a bit of exercise;) Try lifting them up as far as you can while walking back:D It's good for you(y)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  9. deanroofing

deanroofing Funster

If your off for 9 months Deffo take a aquaroll at some stage you'll need it.

10. chaser

chaser Funster

When we bought the new to us mh first thing I bought was an aquaroll carried it about for a year, never used it, so don't take it anymore, it's in the back of the shed still unused.
    The collapsible ones I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, had a couple of them, filled them with wine at one of the vineyards that did bulk, both burst , managed to salvage one lot before we got home but the other one lost the lot:(

• Like Like x 1
  11. chaser

chaser Funster

Even if you are parked on a site for a while, there's nothing to stop you driving round to the tap

12. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Not sure they would be much good for us. How do you pour into the filler for the tank?

13. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

In France you can buy a lightweight, slim 10 litre watering can for about €5 All the French use them! We bought one in 2013 and use it all the time........ simple, cheap, easy..........and healthy (exercise!) (y)

14. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

I carry 3 various lengths of hoses which can be coupled together if anywhere near a tap and also an aqua roll all depends on site or if we are going out for the day will use MH point

15. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Fill up when you arrive on site before you pitch up then use a watering can for topping up. We have done many long trips abroad in our mh and have never used an aquaroll.

16. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Yep watering can is good for 3 reasons. With a long spout you don't spill much water pouring it in the tank. As others have said you get a bit of exercise walking off lunch or dinner. And you get to chat to other happy campers as you walk through the site.

You don't say where you are going but most sites in Europe have lots of water points, sometimes one per pitch, so a hose will often reach anyway

17. Terry and Jan

Terry and Jan Funster

Make sure you have a selection of tap connectors, failing that a good hose clip or cable ties.

18. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Aquaroll for me, we do have the whale filler point in the motorhome so just drop the pump in the Aquaroll and plug in. When I get to site/aire I want to get parked up or straight onto a pitch and then fill water at leisure.

Martin

• Like Like x 2
  19. sedge

sedge Funster

We carry a hose and various connectors, and also a 10 litre (or it may be an old 2 gallon one! LOL) rigid polythene water container. It's not very wide or large anyway so stores easily in a side locker without being too big. We have also had - ever since we had the first van in 2009 - a large funnel with a flexible pointy end. That shoves into the inlet on the van and we pour the water in from the container. I'm an absolute wimp, and I can do it - so I'm sure 99% of others could too. I would have EXTREME difficulty lifting or carrying, anything more than that.

Sometimes even if we need a fair bit of water, we do it like that if we can't be bothered to go to the trouble of driving to the service point (assuming the tap ain't near enough for the hose) - and it's not a bad job since we can share it, turn and turn about.

20. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

Sounds a bit like sour grapes to me :LOL: