Apr 30, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Newbie!
hi
First timers abroad shortly and wondering about water top up as staying on some sites for long periods
Do many people take aquarolls or is it just easier to take a long hosepipe/smaller water carriers for filling up?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We normally use a collapsible bucket and a funnel, one for waste and a different one for fresh water. Many sites don't have a proper MH service point and the last two we have been on didn't have any outside water taps and you had to take water from the washing up sinks. A lot of folk use a watering can, they are fine if you have the space to store them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Hi there! We have travelled abroad a lot with a caravan but this year will be the first with a motorhome. Yes, we will be using aires etc, but we are going for 4-5 weeks and would like to spend some time relaxing rather than being on the road every (or other) day! So yes, we will be taking our aquaroll as we have used it when sited for a few days on rallies etc and found it much easier! It lives in the shower whilst travelling so it's not in the way. And having a Bailey means we have a Whale connection on the outside of the motorhome anyway. You'll have all sorts of reply on here, but it's what suits you the best that's important! Have a wonderful trip!

OP
OP
Gin Palace

Gin Palace

Free Member
Apr 30, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Newbie!
Hi there! We have travelled abroad a lot with a caravan but this year will be the first with a motorhome. Yes, we will be using aires etc, but we are going for 4-5 weeks and would like to spend some time relaxing rather than being on the road every (or other) day! So yes, we will be taking our aquaroll as we have used it when sited for a few days on rallies etc and found it much easier! It lives in the shower whilst travelling so it's not in the way. And having a Bailey means we have a Whale connection on the outside of the motorhome anyway. You'll have all sorts of reply on here, but it's what suits you the best that's important! Have a wonderful trip!
Thank you yes we also like to relax! have a great trip! (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you want a collapsible water carrier, Toolstation have some on sale at the moment:

Broken Link Removed

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I use a large watering can and just top up every now and then but it does take up a fare amount of space so two of those collapsible thingys @MinxyGirl recommends are ideal, one for each hand, also gives your arms a bit of exercise;) Try lifting them up as far as you can while walking back:D It's good for you(y)

Last edited:

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
If your off for 9 months Deffo take a aquaroll at some stage you'll need it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When we bought the new to us mh first thing I bought was an aquaroll carried it about for a year, never used it, so don't take it anymore, it's in the back of the shed still unused.
The collapsible ones I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, had a couple of them, filled them with wine at one of the vineyards that did bulk, both burst , managed to salvage one lot before we got home but the other one lost the lot:(

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Even if you are parked on a site for a while, there's nothing to stop you driving round to the tap

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
In France you can buy a lightweight, slim 10 litre watering can for about €5 All the French use them! We bought one in 2013 and use it all the time........ simple, cheap, easy..........and healthy (exercise!) (y)

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
I carry 3 various lengths of hoses which can be coupled together if anywhere near a tap and also an aqua roll all depends on site or if we are going out for the day will use MH point

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Fill up when you arrive on site before you pitch up then use a watering can for topping up. We have done many long trips abroad in our mh and have never used an aquaroll.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yep watering can is good for 3 reasons. With a long spout you don't spill much water pouring it in the tank. As others have said you get a bit of exercise walking off lunch or dinner. And you get to chat to other happy campers as you walk through the site.

You don't say where you are going but most sites in Europe have lots of water points, sometimes one per pitch, so a hose will often reach anyway

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Aquaroll for me, we do have the whale filler point in the motorhome so just drop the pump in the Aquaroll and plug in. When I get to site/aire I want to get parked up or straight onto a pitch and then fill water at leisure.

Martin

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We carry a hose and various connectors, and also a 10 litre (or it may be an old 2 gallon one! LOL) rigid polythene water container. It's not very wide or large anyway so stores easily in a side locker without being too big. We have also had - ever since we had the first van in 2009 - a large funnel with a flexible pointy end. That shoves into the inlet on the van and we pour the water in from the container. I'm an absolute wimp, and I can do it - so I'm sure 99% of others could too. I would have EXTREME difficulty lifting or carrying, anything more than that.

Sometimes even if we need a fair bit of water, we do it like that if we can't be bothered to go to the trouble of driving to the service point (assuming the tap ain't near enough for the hose) - and it's not a bad job since we can share it, turn and turn about.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
When we bought the new to us mh first thing I bought was an aquaroll carried it about for a year, never used it, so don't take it anymore, it's in the back of the shed still unused.
The collapsible ones I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, had a couple of them, filled them with wine at one of the vineyards that did bulk, both burst , managed to salvage one lot before we got home but the other one lost the lot:(

Sounds a bit like sour grapes to me :LOL:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hose 25mts.. but if too far from the tap, an Aquaroll, I use a 12v pump to transfer from it to the tank.. a lot easier than carrying endless wateringcans from a far off tap.. also means a kid can fetch water .. in fact they love doing it with an Aquroll

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I was determined not to carry an Aquaroll in the MH but in recent years we've spent quite a long time on site with tugger friends and, more recently, we've trailered a Smart car. The upshot is that I carry an Aquaroll on the cycle carrier and I've fitted an additional filler point in the form of a Whale with integral pump connection. IMO nothing beats the Aquaroll for ease of shifting water. Apart from a very long hosepipe :D.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I wonder if it was something to do with the wine as we've used these for yonks and often used to leave the water in them for a few days if we were only going to be using it for hair washing etc, never ever had one burst!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
OP
OP
Gin Palace

Gin Palace

Free Member
Apr 30, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Newbie!
so if I take a hosepipe of different lengths with different connectors, a watering can an Aquaroll and collapsible water carriers I should be covered! ::bigsmile: Thank you everyone that replied!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back