Application for foreign birth registration approved!!!!! (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
Gingernuts
Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Welcome to the ‘unlimited’ club! ✔️

My membership is marriage derived… 😇
My granny (dads mum) was born near Larne, norn iron ( both passed away now)
It was only through this site that I investigated and found out I was entitled to an Irish passport 😁😁😁

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Welcome to the club 😊

4 months in to our first trip using my new passport 🥳

Great isn’t it!!! 👍🏻

We left UK beginning of Sept ‘23, due back early June… (we flew back home for 20 days over Christmas)

A few months in the UK whilst everyone else goes to Europe, then back at it from late Aug ‘24…. It’s a tough existence. 🤪🤣

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I suppose it works both ways though, a guy I worked with had a bit of trouble getting travel visas etc in the 80's and 90's as his Dad had been in the army and when questioned on "place of birth", Libya hadn't gone down too well in some instances !
As did my Dad.

He was born in Rawalpindi, then in British India.
To Cornish and Irish parents, both also born in India.
(Which means I don't qualify for an Irish passport. I've tried)

Really messes up computer systems,
When they put in Rawalpindi they get Pakistan.

"So, when were you last in Pakistan Sir?"
"I've never been to Pakistan".
"But you were born there Sir"
"No I wasn't, I was born in India"
"Rawalpindi is in Pakistan Sir"

And so on, in an endless loop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
After “only” 11 months my foreign birth registration has been approved!!
My certificate is on its way so I can apply for an Irish passport when it arrives🥳
No more “90 days” for me woohoo!
👍😁😎
Brilliant, put my paperwork in for birth register In August last year was told 9 month waiting list ,it now says 2years on the new hub.well done.
👍

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
My darling carer waited 11 months but that was much better than the expected two year wait. I believe the head honcho put a lot more people on it to clear the backlog.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
As did my Dad.

He was born in Rawalpindi, then in British India.
To Cornish and Irish parents, both also born in India.
(Which means I don't qualify for an Irish passport. I've tried)

Really messes up computer systems,
When they put in Rawalpindi they get Pakistan.

"So, when were you last in Pakistan Sir?"
"I've never been to Pakistan".
"But you were born there Sir"
"No I wasn't, I was born in India"
"Rawalpindi is in Pakistan Sir"

And so on, in an endless loop.
The same here, my ancestors served in India from the mid 1800's Great, Great Grandfather's from France, Kilkenny, London and Norfolk, my Mums birth was registered at the French embassy in India as a French National, however you have to prove a connection to France, lived and or voted (which she hasn't) or you lose the right of abode and consequently I can't use her French birth certificate to get myself a French passport.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have a French father but I renounced my French nationality at age 18 to avoid conscription to the French army, I may be able to get it back and Mrs. Odd has an Irish father so between us we should be ok. Unfortunately due to caring for FIL we haven't left the country for years.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Well done.
Having fun trying to establish Gran's birth or even who she is, marriage certificate gives one set of parents, death certificate gives another 🤣 it's weird. Surname could be a misspelling on death but not changing the Christian names. Much more research is needed.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes, birth, marriage, divorce, remarage and that was just one 😳

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Having fun trying to establish Gran's birth
If your Gran was born over 100 years ago you may find her on the findmypast database, I would be inclined to believe the marriage certificate rather then the death certificate as the person registering her death may not have had accurate information.

Upvote 0

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Woohoo got my fbr certificate from the Irish govt today! 🥳🥳🥳
I am now officially an Irish citizen.
Now just got to apply for an Irish passport😎
Éirinn go Brách! It's great to be surrounded by so many of my 'fellow countrymen' on this site now! 😂😂

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Well done.
Having fun trying to establish Gran's birth or even who she is, marriage certificate gives one set of parents, death certificate gives another 🤣 it's weird. Surname could be a misspelling on death but not changing the Christian names. Much more research is needed.
Then you’ll be iriszsue 🤣🤣

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
If your Gran was born over 100 years ago you may find her on the findmypast database, I would be inclined to believe the marriage certificate rather then the death certificate as the person registering her death may not have had accurate information.

i agree. On my gran’s death certificate my father gave her place of birth as Malta, instead of Gibraltar. He knew that, so must have been very upset at the time of registration.

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
When registering my Mums death in Ireland I gave all the answers but was stumped on my Grandmothers maiden name. Rang cousins in Holland to see if they knew as same Grandmother. None of us knew so registrar accepted her married surname. (My Mother's maiden name).

That's how different surnames appear on death certificates. I would go with marriage certificate details.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
i agree. On my gran’s death certificate my father gave her place of birth as Malta, instead of Gibraltar. He knew that, so must have been very upset at the time of registration.
And
Death registered by my granddad, he may well have been distraught but doubt it. Have searched database for a birth but her details may have been destroyed when so many records were lost in Ireland
Have found a possible on a census, but can't find a DoB anywhere

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
And
Death registered by my granddad, he may well have been distraught but doubt it. Have searched database for a birth but her details may have been destroyed when so many records were lost in Ireland
Have found a possible on a census, but can't find a DoB anywhere
You may want to consider doing an ancestry DNA test, if you create a family tree on ancestry you may find distant cousins who's trees will fill in the gaps. Family history is a hobby of mine and I've filled a lot of gaps in my tree by this method.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back