Anyone paid this much for electric hookup........................

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by jaygee, Jun 29, 2014.

1. jaygee

jaygee Funster

We've just stayed at The Riverside Holiday Village near Wallasea Island Nr Southend.
    We booked in for the first night & i paid the pitch fee of £24. When I got back top the van Tony asked why it was £24 when their web site says £16. The only thing I could think of was that I had said yest to electric hook up as thought it would only be a couple of quid.
    We decided to stay another night so when I went back to the office to pay I asked how much the hook up was and was told............ £8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I told the receptionist that in all my travels around the UK and abroad this was the most extortionate price for electric hookup I'd ever come across. She said "well it's our standard charge".
    Ok I said , then we won't have hook up tonight (we've got solar panels anyway & I'd already had an earful from Tony for paying for electric when we didn't need it!).
    Fine she says, but you'll have to move to a different field.
    Now as the huge field we were on had three vans on it (see photos) and at least 40 empty hookup points and we had everything set up I asked (very politely) would it be possible to just unhook the cable for tonight?
    She replied "NO and if you don't want to move then you can leave the site".
    Very reluctantly I paid the £8 but left a review of their customer service on UK Campsite!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Good for you! That is disgusting, and sheer profiteering. :eek:

3. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

I would be very happy if I got an £8 discount for not being on hook up. (y)
    It's usually only a couple of quid. In our experience.
    When you don't need to use hook up, as your well prepared with solar and traction batteries it's annoying. We've got webasto diesel heating, a fridge that's gas/electric and a gas cooker.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Thanks for the "heads up" Jaygee, we certainly won't be stopping there.
    Brisey.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Percy52

Percy52 Funster

Well I know not to go there then. It's one of ourlocal sites that we had been considering! Thanks.

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

You could in theory use more than £8 per 24hrs on a 16A EHU .. which can supply 3.68kw

calculated at 15p per unit.

3kw x 24hrs x £0.15 = £10.80

You may think unlikely, most will not use or abuse the supply.. but some do.. we have all seen it .. eg.. 3kw fan heater in an awning..

Modern vans have a lot more lecy items now than they did 20 years ago, .. cookers have electric hot plates, electric space and water heating,

I'm not defending profiteering, and £8 does seem excessive.. but merely pointing out that it is possible to use that amount.

Perhaps this site owner had his fingers burned with the huge leccy bill and thought enough is enough..
    it happened to our friends who have a CL .. had to borrow money to pay the bill.. so they installed meters.. best way forward for both supplier and consumer.

• Like Like x 3
  7. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Greetings,

When the law was introduced several years ago to prevent the overcharging of electricity to third parties, (as in this case) I thought that both of the big clubs would embrace the spirit of the law and install meters on their posts.
    How wrong could I be.
    Isn't it the case that all sites have to have their supply checked for safety and I would have thought that at such a time it would be an ideal opportunity to change over but not many sites have.

Even the big clubs, who have bought and upgraded quite a few sites in the last few years have carried on as before and installed the 'One size fits all' supply and to hell with the consequences, raking in vast profits from their members (and non members alike)

8. phase3begins

phase3begins Read Only Funster

Their website is very clear that pitch with EHU costs £24. Perhaps the cheaper non EHU area is less attractively sited?

• Like Like x 1
  9. dryad

dryad Funster

as scotjimland says, some motorhomes can take a massive draw from the leccy, but that's not the most expensive i've seen for ehu, there's a pub in britstops that allows overnighting for free but charges a tenner for leccy if you need it, still cheap though for a safe overnight stop..
    i personally only use hookup for charging my scooter/powerchair batteries and phone and camera if needed, at home it costs less than 10p for an overnight charge, but as the scooter etc is so important for my mobility i have no choice but to pay for that peace of mind..
    meters are the way to go i guess, but of course that means an outlay for the sites to change them and i'm assuming, rightly or wrongly that maybe after their initial outlay on all the facilities that we expect to get on a modern day campsite, they feel they've done enough, or just maybe if it's a smaller site they may just not have the funds to do so, and where they may lose out from the bigger users, they gain from the smaller users, swings and roundabouts, they break even in the end..

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Whatton

Whatton Read Only Funster

I stopped at a site in Germany with meters on the EHU, in the usual language confusion at check-in I didn't realise it was done on trust, and I had to supply start and finish readings when leaving. The guy on reception said it wasn't a problem and to give him 2 euros as that was what it normally worked out at. Seemed a fair way of doing it.

11. jaygee

jaygee Funster

What I couldn'r understand was that the 8E applied to caravan, motorhome, trailer or small tent but if you had a 5man tent then EHU was only £5:confused:

12. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Actually Jaygee I can completely understand it. Over the last two years when staying at sites in the summer I have seen caravanners and motorhomers who have not only brought a washing machine with them but a tumbledryer too. One particular caravanning family came to mind. They arrived on the first week of the school holidays last year, grandfather grandmother and two grandchildren. When we returned 3 weeks later, they had all their children and their childrens children on a total of 4 different pitches across the site and no they were not "travellers". The washing machine was used every single day we were there. I was quite shocked at the number of larger motorhomes I have seen with washing machines in them in the last two years too but then I might just be niaive.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WillH

WillH Funster

We were away Saturday night and paid £8 for a pitch at a very small site, a £3.50 discount for no hook-up.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Good luck leaving a bad review on UKCampsite. You can expect the review to disappear as quickly as you posted it.

15. dryad

dryad Funster

that really is taking the piss, and no doubt why ehu charges are getting higher then..

• Like Like x 1
  16. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Off to Silverstone for the Formula 1 GP, hook up is £60 for the weekend, at the 'Classic' later in July, about the same price, this covers 4 nights regardless of if you are there 1 night or 4. With the pitches, they charge per person per pitch, so anyone on their own is not penalised, but if there are 4 of you in the van, it gets expensive.

17. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  18. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Surely this must be an exception not the norm? Even if my machine was running constantly I don't think it would use £8 of electricity...but I expect there will be someone who will tell me it will :)

19. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

what with the washing machine telly, internet/laptop mobile phone charging, lights etc etc that kids use too I am sure it all adds up but some sites are very high on their electric charges

• Like Like x 1
  20. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Now I've had solar fitted, unless it is included in the site fee, or I need to run the a/c, I won't be paying extra for electricity again. Don't need it.

• Like Like x 2