Any thoughts on how brexit will affect full timing,? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Or half timers
Wondering what we can expect ?
Possibility of not more than three months in any country like in the States?
Will it affect you?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Didn't know that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
The answer to this, as for every other question asked in the past 4 months, is no-one knows.

But for me, as a true full-timer, the next step if a trip to Cahors to check on the rules for applying to become French (but with an eye on who knows what I will probably stay Brit as well).

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I remember being told about this when we were full time ..

to get around was told to
jump over a border then come back.. how they check up on you I don't know..

Staying for longer than 3 months

If you’re planning to stay in Spain for longer than 3 months you must register in person at the nearest Office for Foreigners (Oficina de Extranjeros) which is normally part of the Town Hall (Ayuntamiento), or at designated Police stations.

If you plan to live in Spain, visit the British Embassy website for advice and information.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Unless the open interior borders in the Schengen area are closed again; a Brit, once inside could stay as long as he liked. That is until all those cameras are hooked up across Europe and any roadside copper will let know your precise movements over time.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
For some time now I have flown home every 90 days. I keep my boarding pass as proof of same. It is surprising how cheaply you can get flights if booked well enough in advance. It keeps the travel and household insurance sweet. Many dont bother, but I know for a fact they are cracking down on it in Benidorm.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Or half timers
Wondering what we can expect ?
Possibility of not more than three months in any country like in the States?
Will it affect you?

Interesting question -one I'm not experienced enough to comment on - my thoughts are what sort of welcome awaits full timers , part timers or any UK motorhomers come to that in a little whiles time after their sudden shock of Brexit and when than turns quite possibly to Anger when their currency drops and their whole economy suffers as ours surly will and has!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it could be 3 months in any one year we shall have to see . or 3 months then no return for x amount of time .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
could also become harder to get fully comp insurance for vehicles or even third party . border insurance could be the way.
there is also will uk allow our pet dogs back in to uk.
we could imagine all sorts of problems . yet hardly any might happen .
duty paid items from eu could be restricted again . importing vehicles from eu could be almost stopped .
what bothers you the most and i,m sure we can frighten you with a made up story.
but remember we have to be competitive in the world pay cuts etc are certainly required if we are going to be . plus many are going to learn to sweep the floor wash the toilet doesnt matter even if they have a degree if you cant do them things you might be sacked or not employed.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Things only worry you if you let them...

Thirty days, ninety days, one year, six years... how does any country (other than the Disunited Kingdom) know how long I have been staying there?

Some folk take full notice of every single rule, by-law and regulation, even to the extent of only opening their cornflakes' box where it says "Open This End" and some folk just get on with relaxing, thinking a lot and looking after their lettuces. ;)

JJ :cool:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Things only worry you if you let them...

Thirty days, ninety days, one year, six years... how does any country (other than the Disunited Kingdom) know how long I have been staying there?

Some folk take full notice of every single rule, by-law and regulation, even to the extent of only opening their cornflakes' box where it says "Open This End" and some folk just get on with relaxing, thinking a lot and looking after their lettuces. ;)

JJ :cool:
.... and bubbling in the pool! :D

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Or cheap flights for family to fly out to join us

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think the answer will be "wait and see" as no one knows the terms of the divorce yet - or who will be doing the negotiating.

Once we know that it will be time to start making representations to the powers that be for this to be taken into consideration.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
How can we still have it if we leave?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If your dream full-timing MH is imported to the UK (many are) and sterling stays low you'll be paying more for it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
EHIC, whats wrong with health or travel insurance? We always have this and it pays off.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If your dream full-timing MH is imported to the UK (many are) and sterling stays low you'll be paying more for it.

Nothing to stop you buying out there

But you still have to pay for it in euros - and unless you have a stash somewhere you'll get less euros for your £s so it will cost you more. However once things settle down in a couple of weeks things may change again.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
EHIC, whats wrong with health or travel insurance? We always have this and it pays off.
We do too, but some people choose not to do that and take the risk by just having the EHIC card, also some health insurance policies insist that you use the EHIC first and only then your 'private' policy for anything not covered.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Nothing to stop you buying out there
there could be . even now try buying in gibralter . to transfer it to your name you need an address etc in gibralter . i bought a m,bike there in the end i just brought it back with it actually not registered in gib at all . after alot of fuss i got it done but many countries unless you are giving an address or citizen ship number you cant buy . never mind bring back to uk.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Won't affect us in the slightest. The British isles have more than enough places to entertain us & we've got no desire to go abroad ::bigsmile:, been there, everywhere, worldwide, seen that, done that & got the tee shirt. I really do feel sorry for those that like to head for the heat :whatthe: but, nothing is set in stone yet, just enjoy yourselves while you can. :sun:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
What keeps me awake at night is worrying about the impact on alcohol imports: at the moment you can import virtually as much as you want as long as it is for your own consumption and is VAT and duty paid in the EU.
I bring enough home with me from Spain to last the year and never buy any alcohol in the UK (except when in pubs of course).
It will cost me a fortune if the limit is reduced and i have to start buying my wine and beer here in the UK again. :eek:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
What keeps me awake at night is worrying about the impact on alcohol imports: at the moment you can import virtually as much as you want as long as it is for your own consumption and is VAT and duty paid in the EU.
I bring enough home with me from Spain to last the year and never buy any alcohol in the UK (except when in pubs of course).
It will cost me a fortune if the limit is reduced and i have to start buying my wine and beer here in the UK again. :eek:
i know what you mean . dont think i have been in a pub for years . bring a litre of wine and 3 cans of beer a day home . it well lasts the summer and goes into the wine celler.
havnt bought diesel in uk either for two years . another good reason for having a mini artic . big tanks and a good load capacity . left uk for spain two years running still on spanish diesel.
mind i do use uk petrol in my m,bikes that i do use alot . but we shall see how it goes from now on . perhaps load up afew more this coming winter . ha ha .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't understand this making up problems before they happen , the vote hasn't been over 24 hours yet and it looks as if nothing will happen for two years if ever, don't know about other countries but I don't think it will make one iota of difference to the run of the mill campsite owner or bar or cafe owner, whether you are British , full timing or from Timbuktu.
Edit missed out in france

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back