Any thoughts on how brexit will affect full timing,? (1 Viewer)

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
I agree with you but they have ' never ' contributed and come for short holidays. I am disagreeing with the cherry picking now you ( UK ) have chosen to longer contribute but are happy to use aires for long term use and normally bragging about having weeks of holidays and never paying for a site and deliberately looking for free aires.

Not a representative sample and they are not in the same numbers as UK residents but I personally know Australians and New Zealanders who have chosen to keep a motorhome in Europe while spending the majority of the year in the EU. They mainly use Aires, Stellplatzes and the like.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I'm sure there will be some sort of reciprocal arrangement sorted out. We can use the free French aires and they can use ours. :rofl:

I wish ol Costs me a fortune to visit the UK. I am bringing my french motorhome club with19 camping cars to Scotland for the second time in June 2017 and the camp sites are costing a fortune but they are happy to pay !

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
:doh:You are all gonna be herded into a big circle, and @JJ AND @Muncie and all the rest will circle and toss you scraps while singing "we told you so!"

IT WON'T MAKE ANY DIFFERANCE!!! to you or your situation!
despite the doom and gloom, plague of Frogs First born dying, End of civilization, pensions wasted house prices falling and other plain BS LIES!
Pardon me:doh: I forgot Genocide and WW3 :doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
:doh:You are all gonna be herded into a big circle, and @JJ AND @Muncie and all the rest will circle and toss you scraps while singing "we told you so!"

IT WON'T MAKE ANY DIFFERANCE!!! to you or your situation!
despite the doom and gloom, plague of Frogs First born dying, End of civilization, pensions wasted house prices falling and other plain BS LIES!
Pardon me:doh: I forgot Genocide and WW3 :doh:
As I said I so hope you are right as I have a son and two little grandchildren in the UK but so far it seems no one actually had a plan !

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As I said I so hope you are right as I have a son and two little grandchildren in the UK but so far it seems no one actually had a plan !
Politically it's a total shambles in the UK at the moment - though from what I read it isn't much better in France!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Politically it's a total shambles in the UK at the moment - though from what I read it isn't much better in France!

Not sure what you are reading but certainly there is a lots of unhappiness at new labour laws and they certainly need reforming but Hollande and Valls are holding tight. Not any different from normal here ! No shortage of fuel but just the odd strike day :) I have seen some of the internet reporting and some of it is fake !

Reactions: DBK

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Do you leave your MH when you fly home Snowbird? It was my understanding that the three-month rule applied to vehicles as well though I'm not sure. And before anyone says it, yes I kmow its too big to fit on the plane (unless its a Hercules) ☺

I think you will find vehicles strangely enough are allowed for 6 months in one country before they have to be imported.

Reactions: SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I think you will find vehicles strangely enough are allowed for 6 months in one country before they have to be imported.
Thanks Snowbird, I wasn't sure as my father had a UK-registered car in Spain and I couldn't remember how long he had to register it over there.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
But it would seem you still want the advantages this union of countries provide such as free camping
Bit like people who still want to take advantage of our free NHS, even thou they don't live here ;)

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Bit like people who still want to take advantage of our free NHS, even thou they don't live here ;)

Not sure who they are but myself I have my healthcare in France . And not 100% free as it is necessary to have a policy to top up the balance.

i can never understand the mentality of the Brits who seem to resent anyone who has made a different choice in their lives. Perhaps that is why they are in this mess now . The mentality of discontent seems to prevail. If yu see some one with a Rolls Royce they must be on the make not I am going to strive to get one some day

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Not sure who they are but myself I have my healthcare in France . And not 100% free as it is necessary to have a policy to top up the balance.

i can never understand the mentality of the Brits who seem to resent anyone who has made a different choice in their lives. Perhaps that is why they are in this mess now . The mentality of discontent seems to prevail. If yu see some one with a Rolls Royce they must be on the make not I am going to strive to get one some day
Bit of a generalisation don't you think, what makes you think we are in a mess, anymore than France:sneaky:
I take it your not a Brit then
Believe me there are plenty of Brits who live aboard and the minute the shit hits the fan there back, nothing wrong with that its a personal choice
Btw I don't want a RR either(y)

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Well i am a Brit living in France and the only reason i return to UK is to visit friends and relatives!

Reactions: DBK

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Towards the end of our, 'nearly' two year stay in the USA & Canada with our 6 month USA visa some British friends of ours doing similar were told by the US Border Control that after 6 months in the USA you had to return to your mother country ( not cross into Canada or Mexico) for 6 months if you wished to return to the US for a further 6 months

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

My sister in law lives in France and I think that attitude exists there as well and I know in a lot of rural France the Parisians are looked upon as being a little "different" to the rest of the French. We are some of those freeloading brits that stay on aires on the other hand we do buy all our food etc in France while we are there and I know the French think the Dutch are a little lacking in that respect. We also use restaurants and bars quite a bit and buy loads of wine (at least 100 bottles per trip) . We voted remain so don't tar all brits with the same brush I suspect a lot of leavers voted that way because they weren't interested in the French style of motorhoming (60% plus on here) lets hope there's a second referendum I know there's a lot of bregret.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
My sister in law lives in France and I think that attitude exists there as well and I know in a lot of rural France the Parisians are looked upon as being a little "different" to the rest of the French. We are some of those freeloading brits that stay on aires on the other hand we do buy all our food etc in France while we are there and I know the French think the Dutch are a little lacking in that respect. We also use restaurants and bars quite a bit and buy loads of wine (at least 100 bottles per trip) . We voted remain so don't tar all brits with the same brush I suspect a lot of leavers voted that way because they weren't interested in the French style of motorhoming (60% plus on here) lets hope there's a second referendum I know there's a lot of bregret.

You are indeed correct France does have its problems and a north south divide (just the opposite way round lol ) I know there are many who contribute to the local economy when here and I hope that it is the majority and you are quite right about the dutch ! They are well known in France as being more frugal than the Scots/ Yorkshire or Cornwall lol ( And I am a Scot ) I am not sure how the future will pan out in the UK but just hope it is better than the situation at the moment ! We do have a president and a Prime Minister here at least even if they are not all that popular with some areas of the population lol

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Interesting question -one I'm not experienced enough to comment on - my thoughts are what sort of welcome awaits full timers , part timers or any UK motorhomers come to that in a little whiles time after their sudden shock of Brexit and when than turns quite possibly to Anger when their currency drops and their whole economy suffers as ours surly will and has!!
Probably a better welcome than for those people from the south who intend to live on the streets and evade paying for everything they can.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Begret is the phantom of a media lead by government propogandists.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
If your dream full-timing MH is imported to the UK (many are) and sterling stays low you'll be paying more for it.
Lol dont underestimate the ability of Greece & Portugal to tank the euro, shouldnt be to long now for another massive bailout for them!

Awayoflife

Free Member
Jan 30, 2016
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Neismann birscoff flair
Exp
On and of for many years now permantley
I am with jj on this. There is always ways around things. I lived in Canada for 10 years not as a legal imagrant. Travelled throught the states just got the story straight. It is a bit worring I admit My thought is to get the requirements to be a resident ie NI number proof of medical and a utility bill. I am thinking it might end up anyone there can stay the same as I think Uk will say that otherwise I think Uk would collapse if they chucked out all eastern europeans. But I am thinking of doing this before article 50 is put in place. But end of the day who knows. Wouldn't of been my choice.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
you are quite right about the dutch ! They are well known in France as being more frugal than the Scots/ Yorkshire or Cornwall

NL is referred to as "Ni l'argent (no money)" - I accept that this is grammatically incorrect but it makes a point.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I agree with you but they have ' never ' contributed and come for short holidays. I am disagreeing with the cherry picking now you ( UK ) have chosen to longer contribute but are happy to use aires for long term use and normally bragging about having weeks of holidays and never paying for a site and deliberately looking for free aires.
We have well contributed to EU countries like Portugal, currently taking EU funding to the tune of around £4.7 billion a year. Every British taxpayer has the right to use a free aire there IMHO, they have paid for it many times over!!!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
For some time now I have flown home every 90 days. I keep my boarding pass as proof of same. It is surprising how cheaply you can get flights if booked well enough in advance. It keeps the travel and household insurance sweet. Many dont bother, but I know for a fact they are cracking down on it in Benidorm.
Some who have medical conditions have to do this anyway, pick up their medication and doctors appointments etc..90 days is possibly the max a prescription will allow..for those on free prescriptions it would possibly cover the air fare..

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
All really sad:cry:and sooooo unecessary..the world has gone mad...what with Meglomaniac May and Terrifying Trumpy Bump....the best solution, in my view, is to sing and be happy:whistle:

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Thanks Pia for lightening the mood. You are right , motorhoming is fun! You wouldnt want to hear my singing tho!

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I understand that Portugal, for example, has stated that nothing will change regarding Brexit and the British, with whom they hold the world's oldest bilateral security treaty. It is rumoured they are planning to extend the period from 90 days to 120 days on Brexit

EU residents only have the automatic right to stay in Portugal for up to 90 days in a year, any more and you need to get a permit (which is a piece of cake). As long as you're not on any international wanted lists, that is. I heard of one person who had the subject brought up over extended use of his EIC card, and he (sensibly) submitted his residency application with a few Euros, which was sorted over the counter on payment of 3 Euros

Vehicles are only allowed to be used in another EU country for 6 months in any year, any more and you need an MOT and pay duty (which can be very costly). I have heard of one person (French) who had a minor traffic accident and then had his car impounded when it was discovered he had been in Portugal for 11 months

I was always taught to hide in plain view, so I follow the rules when I can and most of the time.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
But it would seem you still want the advantages this union of countries provide such as free camping
Give me a break Spitfire, you're making out it's free loading Brits who invented Aires, the French introduced them to generate cash flow,,, a desperately needed cash flow to prop up the ailing French economy.
The locals don't give a rats arse who's getting a free nights stopover, just so long as they spend a few bob.
Stop knocking the Brits Borr, it's unbecoming.
:rolleyes:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
This says:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/brexit-invalidate-ehic-card-what-7983307
The Health Minister has confirmed that following a leave vote, Brits could lose access to this vital service. The only way to get care in Europe would be to take out costly private insurance.

I assume you didn't read to the bottom of your article;

"Switzerland and Iceland are just two examples of countries outside the EU that use the EHIC scheme.

It would be outrageous scaremongering to claim British holidaymakers would lose access to European healthcare after we Vote Leave.

It is in the EU's interest to continue the arrangement as the UK has given £5.8billion more to EU countries for medical costs than we've got back."

This article was written in the run up to the referendum where scaremongering was rife, often with no factual basis.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back