Any French Spanish or German speakers......(-;

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by buttons, Apr 22, 2016.

1. buttons

buttons Funster

If I am speaking to a stranger in English I can understand a lot about them within a few sentences. What part of the country they are from, their level of education etc etc. My question is do you get the same feedback in other languages, are there as many regional accents in France for instance. Can you hear how they were educated and more importantly will your regional accent carry over into your French for example and will they hear and recognise this in conversation.
    just wondered.........:)

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Nine.......... :giggler:

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jumartoo

jumartoo Funster

In Spain there are regional accents. Murciano is the one that is laughed at by the rest of Spain apparently and guess what we have to learn/understand?

Andaluz is also difficult to understand.

The best accent in Spain is from the area around Valladolid.

When we were on the Via de la Plata we had arrived in Galicia and Martin asked a local if there was a cafe in the village. He looked at Martin and said "Ah you're from Madrid"! Possibly down to the fact that Gallego is their first language not down to Martin having a " Kings Spanish" accent :LOL:.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Each of these languages have regional accents which can be heard as we hear variations in English. Spanish originated in Northern Spain and I've heard different opinions as to whether that region's Spanish is purer than that from Madrid. Spanish spoken in Andalusia is sometimes regarded as lazy Spanish as it tends to leave off the last sounded letters of some words, including the letter s eg. Buenos dia instead of dias and gracia instead of gracias.

National variations occur in the same way English differs between the UK, Australia, USA etc. including the variation in the word for "I" which is pronounced "Jo", "Sho" and "Yo" (all with short sounded "o" as in octopus) in different countries. In addition, colloquialisms can get you into trouble; the word "joder" can mean something like dam (as in a little exasperation) through to f*ckerty f*ckerty f*cking f*ck! which will offend most who hear it according to where it is said between Spain and parts of S America.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Then there's Norfolk me ole Bewty...................!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Definitely regional accents in France. Get far down into the Pyreneees and you can what sounds like a cross between French and Spanish.
    In Dordogne there is an accent that's often described as like Cornish or Norfolk accents. Can make understanding locals fairly difficult, even for fluent French speakers.
    Friend in France had a very, very broad Lancashire accent and the French couldn't understand what she was asking for in shops.

• Like Like x 1
  7. maison

maison Funster

Agree with @Hollyberry .
    The regional accent in Burgundy is so distinctive that we can recognise it anywhere.

We have surprised several French natives on caravan sites when we ask them if they are from Bourgogne. They find it difficult to understand that some-one who is English, firstly attempts to speak French and secondly, can identify their accents.

Unfortunately, as I am ex-Cumbrian with a pronounced northern accent in English I, apparently, sound like a German or Dutchman when I use French!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Yes as @jumartoo said the accent is totally different region by region here in Spain. Many Northern Spanish cannot understand a word spoken by locals here. I have actually translated between a northern Spanish truck driver & my baker as the poor bloke had no idea what he was telling him.
    I struggle now with replies as I am a bit deaf.
    Yes not only do they leave off many letters at the endings , with 's' being the normal one but it is also left off in many words even in the middle, with 'whiskey' being pronounced as 'wikey'.
    Another favourite that took me a couple of years to sus was
    'pera' ?? Until I worked out that it was actually 'Espera' the word for'wait' in Spanish. I actually prefer a conversation with a South American as they annunciate much better & speak at a far slower speed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

I'm sure my French sounds like the policeman's on Allo, Allo :)

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  10. chaser

chaser Funster

My sign language has the same accent whether I'm in Germany , France , or Spain and indeed even in Portugal, can usually get a beer or wine, (y):)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Viennese

Viennese Funster

I was very entertained in Greece by a travel rep who spoke quite passable Greek, but with a pronounced Yorkshire accent. My niece from North Yorkshire taught English to small kids in Taiwan, so they will all have a Yorkshire accent!

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. trophychap

trophychap Funster

We stopped to ask some builders on a site near Vannes for directions a few years ago they couldn't speak French at all only Breton. I am pretty sure that regional accents apply no matter where you are.

A dutch lady said to Jenny some years ago that she had trouble understanding her as she "had a low accent" She is a black country girl but Bedworth people understand her, but not so much in Coventry which is all of 5 miles away.

• Like Like x 1
  13. buttons

buttons Funster

Thanks Mattyjwr that is interesting.....We had a few days last year with some friends in south of France. He is a Brit and she is French. She used to smile when she was speaking to locals as she thought their accent to be funny. It all sounded the same to me..:)

14. buttons

buttons Funster

I wonder what they make of the Welsh......;)

15. Speve

Speve Funster

They can't understand my Wiltshire accent so that makes us even but we get by most places we visit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

That's interesting, when I speak French, or even English abroad, I get asked if I'm from Germany too ... I'm East Yorkshire born and bred.

17. maison

maison Funster

Since I have also lived in Wales since 1977 they are probably totally confused.:)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I can order a beer in 4 languages.

#sorted

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. davanne

davanne Funster

My ancestors on my mums side came from that region in France and they moved over to Cornwall so what you say about it sounding like a Cornish accent makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  20. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

We are often mistaken for Australiens in the USA or Canada, and mistaken for West Country people in this country.

• Like Like x 1