Any French Spanish or German speakers......(-; (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If I am speaking to a stranger in English I can understand a lot about them within a few sentences. What part of the country they are from, their level of education etc etc. My question is do you get the same feedback in other languages, are there as many regional accents in France for instance. Can you hear how they were educated and more importantly will your regional accent carry over into your French for example and will they hear and recognise this in conversation.
just wondered.........:)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
In Spain there are regional accents. Murciano is the one that is laughed at by the rest of Spain apparently and guess what we have to learn/understand?

Andaluz is also difficult to understand.

The best accent in Spain is from the area around Valladolid.

When we were on the Via de la Plata we had arrived in Galicia and Martin asked a local if there was a cafe in the village. He looked at Martin and said "Ah you're from Madrid"! Possibly down to the fact that Gallego is their first language not down to Martin having a " Kings Spanish" accent :LOL:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If I am speaking to a stranger in English I can understand a lot about them within a few sentences. What part of the country they are from, their level of education etc etc. My question is do you get the same feedback in other languages, are there as many regional accents in France for instance. Can you hear how they were educated and more importantly will your regional accent carry over into your French for example and will they hear and recognise this in conversation.
just wondered.........:)

Each of these languages have regional accents which can be heard as we hear variations in English. Spanish originated in Northern Spain and I've heard different opinions as to whether that region's Spanish is purer than that from Madrid. Spanish spoken in Andalusia is sometimes regarded as lazy Spanish as it tends to leave off the last sounded letters of some words, including the letter s eg. Buenos dia instead of dias and gracia instead of gracias.

National variations occur in the same way English differs between the UK, Australia, USA etc. including the variation in the word for "I" which is pronounced "Jo", "Sho" and "Yo" (all with short sounded "o" as in octopus) in different countries. In addition, colloquialisms can get you into trouble; the word "joder" can mean something like dam (as in a little exasperation) through to f*ckerty f*ckerty f*cking f*ck! which will offend most who hear it according to where it is said between Spain and parts of S America.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Definitely regional accents in France. Get far down into the Pyreneees and you can what sounds like a cross between French and Spanish.
In Dordogne there is an accent that's often described as like Cornish or Norfolk accents. Can make understanding locals fairly difficult, even for fluent French speakers.
Friend in France had a very, very broad Lancashire accent and the French couldn't understand what she was asking for in shops.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Agree with @Hollyberry .
The regional accent in Burgundy is so distinctive that we can recognise it anywhere.

We have surprised several French natives on caravan sites when we ask them if they are from Bourgogne. They find it difficult to understand that some-one who is English, firstly attempts to speak French and secondly, can identify their accents.

Unfortunately, as I am ex-Cumbrian with a pronounced northern accent in English I, apparently, sound like a German or Dutchman when I use French!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes as @jumartoo said the accent is totally different region by region here in Spain. Many Northern Spanish cannot understand a word spoken by locals here. I have actually translated between a northern Spanish truck driver & my baker as the poor bloke had no idea what he was telling him.
I struggle now with replies as I am a bit deaf.
Yes not only do they leave off many letters at the endings , with 's' being the normal one but it is also left off in many words even in the middle, with 'whiskey' being pronounced as 'wikey'.
Another favourite that took me a couple of years to sus was
'pera' ?? Until I worked out that it was actually 'Espera' the word for'wait' in Spanish. I actually prefer a conversation with a South American as they annunciate much better & speak at a far slower speed.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I'm sure my French sounds like the policeman's on Allo, Allo :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My sign language has the same accent whether I'm in Germany , France , or Spain and indeed even in Portugal, can usually get a beer or wine, (y):)

Reactions: f6c
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I was very entertained in Greece by a travel rep who spoke quite passable Greek, but with a pronounced Yorkshire accent. My niece from North Yorkshire taught English to small kids in Taiwan, so they will all have a Yorkshire accent!

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We stopped to ask some builders on a site near Vannes for directions a few years ago they couldn't speak French at all only Breton. I am pretty sure that regional accents apply no matter where you are.

A dutch lady said to Jenny some years ago that she had trouble understanding her as she "had a low accent" She is a black country girl but Bedworth people understand her, but not so much in Coventry which is all of 5 miles away.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Each of these languages have regional accents which can be heard as we hear variations in English. Spanish originated in Northern Spain and I've heard different opinions as to whether that region's Spanish is purer than that from Madrid. Spanish spoken in Andalusia is sometimes regarded as lazy Spanish as it tends to leave off the last sounded letters of some words, including the letter s eg. Buenos dia instead of dias and gracia instead of gracias.

National variations occur in the same way English differs between the UK, Australia, USA etc. including the variation in the word for "I" which is pronounced "Jo", "Sho" and "Yo" (all with short sounded "o" as in octopus) in different countries. In addition, colloquialisms can get you into trouble; the word "joder" can mean something like dam (as in a little exasperation) through to f*ckerty f*ckerty f*cking f*ck! which will offend most who hear it according to where it is said between Spain and parts of S America.
Thanks Mattyjwr that is interesting.....We had a few days last year with some friends in south of France. He is a Brit and she is French. She used to smile when she was speaking to locals as she thought their accent to be funny. It all sounded the same to me..:)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Agree with @Hollyberry .
The regional accent in Burgundy is so distinctive that we can recognise it anywhere.

We have surprised several French natives on caravan sites when we ask them if they are from Bourgogne. They find it difficult to understand that some-one who is English, firstly attempts to speak French and secondly, can identify their accents.

Unfortunately, as I am ex-Cumbrian with a pronounced northern accent in English I, apparently, sound like a German or Dutchman when I use French!
I wonder what they make of the Welsh......;)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
They can't understand my Wiltshire accent so that makes us even but we get by most places we visit.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's interesting, when I speak French, or even English abroad, I get asked if I'm from Germany too ... I'm East Yorkshire born and bred.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Definitely regional accents in France. Get far down into the Pyreneees and you can what sounds like a cross between French and Spanish.
In Dordogne there is an accent that's often described as like Cornish or Norfolk accents. Can make understanding locals fairly difficult, even for fluent French speakers.
Friend in France had a very, very broad Lancashire accent and the French couldn't understand what she was asking for in shops.
My ancestors on my mums side came from that region in France and they moved over to Cornwall so what you say about it sounding like a Cornish accent makes sense.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We are often mistaken for Australiens in the USA or Canada, and mistaken for West Country people in this country.

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
In Germany the Bavarian dialect is difficult for other Germans, my old boss from Berlin once asked a Bavarian local for directions but could not understand them.
Here it is sitting in a Wearside pub and not understanding a word of a conversation two locals were having.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
"Yes" according to my sister, who has a degree in French & lived in Lyon for a while. As a consequence she speaks fluent French, but with what is considered a regional accent.

Talking to my Parisian French friends who live in England, they are ruder about 'provincial' accents than we are - if an Englishman refers to an regional accent, it is usually with a degree of humour. The French appear to be deadly serious!

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
I speak fluent French, learned as a teenager at my penfriend's house in Belgium. In France I'm often asked if I am Belgian so obviously picked up the accent and, after living in the Gironde for some years, have obviously never lost it.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I speak fluent French, learned as a teenager at my penfriend's house in Belgium. In France I'm often asked if I am Belgian so obviously picked up the accent and, after living in the Gironde for some years, have obviously never lost it.
Thanks burtonbird that is interesting......

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
A friend of ours who has lived and worked in France for 30 years speaks it fluently but with a West Country accent, he has no accent in English. His wife who speaks English with a West Country accent and was much slower to pick up French but is obviously now fluent, has a good French accent, bizarre. I love accents, it would be so dull if we all soundd the same.
All countries seem to have regional accents.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I lived and went to a forces school in Germany as an 'army brat', I learnt German at school however after leaving school at 16 I worked for 6 months moving furniture for the army but as the only brit on the crew. In that 6 months I became more or less fluent, but didn't realise at the time how much local dialect I had picked up. I left Germany to start my apprenticeship in the UK, but returning home to Detmold to spend Xmas with the family I was on a local train talking to the others in our compartment and was offered a lift home from the station by a kind old lady, when I told here my address she got very confused as it was in the Army Estate, I told her I was English she was very surprised and told me I talked just like a 'Detmolder' but I think the Fair hair and blue eyes helped to confuse, and yes I still got the lift home.
Several years later when working in Kenya I met a bunch of construction workers from Munich and none of them could understand my German and I had real difficulty understanding them, so I am pretty certain that the variation in dialects in Germany is more or less akin to ours.
Cheers
@Chris
Now 5
'bia nyingine baridi asante' :) (y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
you will get plenty of practice in London.. more than 50% don't have English as a first language
I think that polish is the second language now. I don't think this is restricted to London alone. Many traditional Suffolk villages like Woodbridge and Saxmundon now have Rumanians selling the Big Issue on their streets and a growing multicultural look to the high streets. ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back