Another gassing in france (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Its all true...ask the editor...BUSBY:):):)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
There was a story in The Times a couple of weeks ago reporting that a family had been gassed in their motorhome with carbon monoxide, presumably from a vehicle exhaust.

That's a big presumption. Common sources of CO are cigarettes, faulty gas appliances, barbecues in enclosed spaces (like a van awning) and generators.

It *could* have come from a vehicle exhaust but it could have come from lots of other places too.

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
The previous owner of my MH obviously took it very seriously - it's fitted with a 'SOPOALARM' complete with sensors round the windscreen. The bumph relating to it which came with the rest of the handbooks etc., is very poorly written even though the unit is well made. I've tried to set it off with all sorts, calor, petrol, CO, smoke etc., but it hasn't responded. I've disconnected it anyway, as I'm with the sceptics.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
What I would be more concerned about was if someone actually saw you walking down the street with it under your arm. THE SHAME OF IT.

I quite agree. Would not be seen dead with that rag anywhere.......... Currently in BA lounge enjoying a glass of bubbly whilst reading the Economist .
image.jpg

Oh dear, someone must lave left it lying on the table :blush:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You will just have to take my word for it but the lady in the tent on the right is reading the Daily Mail. I am not sure if the device in front of her came with it but I think she is doing things in the wrong order, the paper should be burned before reading it. Portscatho, Cornwall a week ago.

BROKEN LINK

Last edited:

Bowser

Free Member
Sep 8, 2014
Funster No
MH
VW T4 Van conversion
Exp
20 years
tonights quiz question ! how many 300ml cans of easy start would it take to fill the entire interior space of a motorhome ?? answers on a postcard to the daily mail !!!!

If I worked it out correctly as a 70% concentration, about 4,000 tins, thats assuming a LWB HiTop PCV,
Not very practical, at £4 a tin, that £16000 per robbery for a couple of hundred quid. :ROFLMAO:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Have been driving Europe for decades, including Eastern Block, Russia, Ukraine, turkey etc etc and get really hacked at this gas scare nonsense. In all my years I've never met anyone who had been gassed or knew of such an event. Oh there plenty of "tales of the road" but when asked exactly where or when it either doesn't check out, or they can't remember, or "well that's what I was told," absolute nonsense. If you have an opportunity ask the local police regarding this, I have done this and the response I received was that they had heard the tourist whispers but had never encountered a gassing complaint!
Having made that point I would stress that it is essential that people take the necessary precautions, against break in, theft etc as a matter of common sense security
Stop the stupid scare mongering and issue sensible advice.
Regards
Campoj
Well put now pay your tenner and become a full member we need a expert on gassing welcome to fun fellow gassing disbeliever.(y)
Don't we have a gas mask smelly:mask: we've got a masked one that will do.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
If I worked it out correctly as a 70% concentration, about 4,000 tins, thats assuming a LWB HiTop PCV,
Not very practical, at £4 a tin, that £16000 per robbery for a couple of hundred quid. :ROFLMAO:

Brilliant(y) I was going to just press the like button but this deserves a "Like very much"

Scudajoh

Free Member
Oct 4, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach Autograph
Exp
We were robbed in France this August 2016 driving brand new Bailey autograph 745 towing double axle trailer with brand new Fiat 500 on board. It was at an Aire on the motorway just north of Bordeaux. We parked in a towing caravan space within 50 metres of the fuel and main restaurant. We don't have an alarm(yet!). We had a couple of drinks followed by a meal with wine(half a bottle each) in the MH and then went to bed I am a 70yr old retired GP and my wife a little younger. We had the roof vents open 25oC outside. When we woke in the morning all the cupboards had been opened and our various handbags grips were all piled on the driver's seat. We called the police who came straightaway (20 mins) . They examined the MH and thought a small person had come through a standard roof light as the mosquito net had been retracted and there were footmarks on the roof. They led us off the motorway to the gendarmerie at an exit to fill in a report. We did NOT have our iPhones or iPads passports or credit cards stolen only cash from wallets/bags and watches/sunglasses. The police said this was the modus operandi of an Eastern European gang. There were many similar cases they said and they often used gas!! In Spain the next day we realized a small screwdriver sized object had been driven through the driver's door by the rubber seal just below the door handle directly below the lock. It was so small that the gendarmes hadn't noticed it the day before and I only use the driver's door when refueling. This got my wife and I thinking about how we could have slept through the door being broken into but obviously we did as our gas fridge was on and we didn't blow up! People don't realize how deeply they sleep especially after a few drinks!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Sorry for your bad experiences @Scudajoh but this thread resurrection is not likely to get the answer that you want with the inclusion of reference to the police reporting that gas is the modus operandi of gangs. As a former GP, you may be aware of how difficult it is to get hold of and apply enough anaesthetic gas to incapacitate the occupants of a large volume like a motorhome so the police response will be regarded as an excuse not to investigate or similar. It is good to read that you did not suggest that you had been gassed although did you, with reference to the gas flame not causing an explosion?

Your consumption of alcohol will be a contributory factor in some situations but how much are you used to drinking and did you fall into bed at the end of a long drive having had a good meal, some drink and collapse exhausted? Or was your intake nothing unusual and you had had a gentle drive?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry for your bad experiences @Scudajoh but this thread resurrection is not likely to get the answer that your want.

Was the poster looking for that Answer? Seems to me, reading his last sentence, that no matter what the police said, he's accepted that they slept heavily through the burglary.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Was the poster looking for that Answer? Seems to me, reading his last sentence, that no matter what the police said, he's accepted that they slept heavily through the burglary.

That's what I got from his post.. I consider myself a light sleeper ... But when you're asleep... Who knows... Especially after a glass or two!.,

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

I'm not certain. On balance, may be it was regarded as just the drink but I interpreted it as being suspicious as there wasn't any criticism of the police's response and there was reference to not being blown up as the fridge pilot light was on suggesting consideration of flammable gases being put into the vehicle.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Seems to me he wasn't suggesting gassing was the answer, but I would have thought no alarm, tiredness, wine, new attractive unit and motorway aire are pointers towards a cause and effect or diagnosis if you prefer.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I got gassed last night two lovely bottles of read.
Seems like it won't ware off for a few hrs yet
:)
Bill

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I think the "!!" after the word "gas" is also an indication of how unlikely a retired GP considers gas to have been involved :)

Strange how we pick up different interpretations; I read it an indication of surprise / shock rather than disbelief.

Reactions: GJH

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I got gassed last night two lovely bottles of read.
Seems like it won't ware off for a few hrs yet
:)
Bill

Nothing to query here. I surprised that you are up and online at this early hour after such a gassing.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
In Spain the next day we realized a small screwdriver sized object had been driven through the driver's door by the rubber seal just below the door handle directly below the lock. It was so small that the gendarmes hadn't noticed it the day before and I only use the driver's door when refueling.

This says it all....... disinterested gendarmes and a standard cab door break in........

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
This says it all....... disinterested gendarmes and a standard cab door break in........

What would be your thoughts on the footprints on the roof? A failed entryattempt or successful entry and the screw driver was used to open the door to get the small person out / get someone else in?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
What would be your thoughts on the footprints on the roof? A failed entryattempt or successful entry and the screw driver was used to open the door to get the small person out / get someone else in?

I would say its a load of tosh,,,BUSBY.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
There are footprints on the roof of my van as well. Flyscreen? Try opening one from the wrong side without damaging it. Sorry - disinterested gendarmes and an obvious point of entry as documented many times before in van break ins via popping the lock.

The bottom line is, no matter how they entered, the OP knows why they didn't wake up and pretty well says so. A good reason why we always set the strike back alarm at night when sleeping. The moment that drivers door was opened all hell would break loose and the thief would scarper

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back