Amitage A -frames (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I had an A -frame conversion recently fitted to SWMBO's Skoda Fabia TDI by Armitages at Ferrybridge and while I'm happy enough with the set-up I didn't realize how heavy the A frame was going to be .
In fact its just heavy for me lift as I have back issues , Armitage's say its 30kg as its the heavy duty model which is needed since the car weighs 1170kg but I would say its nearer 40kg .
Does anybody know of any other A-frame manufacturers that make lighter models that perhaps would marry up to the existing towing eye attachments .

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I had an A -frame conversion recently fitted to SWMBO's Skoda Fabia TDI by Armitages at Ferrybridge and while I'm happy enough with the set-up I didn't realize how heavy the A frame was going to be .
In fact its just to heavy for me to lift as I have back issues , Armitage's say its 30kg as its the heavy duty model which is needed since the car weighs 1170kg but I would say its nearer 40kg .
Does anybody know of any other A-frame manufacturers that make lighter models that perhaps would marry up to the existing towing eye attachments .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
All the A frame manufacturers use their own prefered method of attachment to the car so its very doubtful any other make will fit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Thanks for the your reply's , theres a company called Chesterfield Towing A frame's who advertise on Ebay claiming to have stainless a frame so may give them a call

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
yes the place in chesterfield are claiming that their A-frames weigh 12KG,but as John said I doubt very much if they will be compatable with your existing system.
Brian & Jo

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In fact its just heavy for me lift as I have back issues , Armitage's say its 30kg as its the heavy duty model which is needed since the car weighs 1170kg but I would say its nearer 40kg .
What exactly is the problem with lifting it - is it just so that you can put it on/off the tow ball - if so then I'm sure there'd be a way of sorting something to make this easier.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Lightweight A frames are used where the braking device is electronic and fits in the drivers' footwell. They're lightweight because they don't have the braking mechanism, cable connection, etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
What exactly is the problem with lifting it - is it just so that you can put it on/off the tow ball - if so then I'm sure there'd be a way of sorting something to make this easier.

The problem is that its heavy , well heavy in my book and as I suffer from back problems due to an accident in my past working life I really struggle to lift it out of the car boot without being in pain .
It has a jockey wheel which really only helps with hitching up to the motorhome as I can drive the car with the A -frame attached and guide it onto the towball .
When the frame is assembled and attached to the car its easy enough couple or uncouple but its the lifting out of the car is the issue .
TBH if i cant get a suitably lighter A -frame attachment that I can manage then I'll have to look at other options perhaps a trailer or maybe just do without .

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back