Amitage A -frames

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Foghorn Leghorn, May 30, 2015.

1. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Funster

I had an A -frame conversion recently fitted to SWMBO's Skoda Fabia TDI by Armitages at Ferrybridge and while I'm happy enough with the set-up I didn't realize how heavy the A frame was going to be .
    In fact its just heavy for me lift as I have back issues , Armitage's say its 30kg as its the heavy duty model which is needed since the car weighs 1170kg but I would say its nearer 40kg .
    Does anybody know of any other A-frame manufacturers that make lighter models that perhaps would marry up to the existing towing eye attachments .

2. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Funster

3. timetochill

timetochill Funster

Chesterfield holiday make stainless light weight A frames some one on here has one

• Like Like x 2
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Duplicated post

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

All the A frame manufacturers use their own prefered method of attachment to the car so its very doubtful any other make will fit.

6. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Funster

Thanks for the your reply's , theres a company called Chesterfield Towing A frame's who advertise on Ebay claiming to have stainless a frame so may give them a call

7. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

yes the place in chesterfield are claiming that their A-frames weigh 12KG,but as John said I doubt very much if they will be compatable with your existing system.
    Brian & Jo

8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

What exactly is the problem with lifting it - is it just so that you can put it on/off the tow ball - if so then I'm sure there'd be a way of sorting something to make this easier.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Xabia

Xabia Funster

When I had an A frame I fitted a caravan type jockey wheel to it, made things so much easier.

10. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Lightweight A frames are used where the braking device is electronic and fits in the drivers' footwell. They're lightweight because they don't have the braking mechanism, cable connection, etc.

11. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Funster

The problem is that its heavy , well heavy in my book and as I suffer from back problems due to an accident in my past working life I really struggle to lift it out of the car boot without being in pain .
    It has a jockey wheel which really only helps with hitching up to the motorhome as I can drive the car with the A -frame attached and guide it onto the towball .
    When the frame is assembled and attached to the car its easy enough couple or uncouple but its the lifting out of the car is the issue .
    TBH if i cant get a suitably lighter A -frame attachment that I can manage then I'll have to look at other options perhaps a trailer or maybe just do without .

Last edited: May 30, 2015