Amitage A -frames (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I had an A -frame conversion recently fitted to SWMBO's Skoda Fabia TDI by Armitages at Ferrybridge and while I'm happy enough with the set-up I didn't realize how heavy the A frame was going to be .
In fact its just heavy for me lift as I have back issues , Armitage's say its 30kg as its the heavy duty model which is needed since the car weighs 1170kg but I would say its nearer 40kg .
Does anybody know of any other A-frame manufacturers that make lighter models that perhaps would marry up to the existing towing eye attachments .

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I had an A -frame conversion recently fitted to SWMBO's Skoda Fabia TDI by Armitages at Ferrybridge and while I'm happy enough with the set-up I didn't realize how heavy the A frame was going to be .
In fact its just to heavy for me to lift as I have back issues , Armitage's say its 30kg as its the heavy duty model which is needed since the car weighs 1170kg but I would say its nearer 40kg .
Does anybody know of any other A-frame manufacturers that make lighter models that perhaps would marry up to the existing towing eye attachments .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
All the A frame manufacturers use their own prefered method of attachment to the car so its very doubtful any other make will fit.

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Thanks for the your reply's , theres a company called Chesterfield Towing A frame's who advertise on Ebay claiming to have stainless a frame so may give them a call

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
yes the place in chesterfield are claiming that their A-frames weigh 12KG,but as John said I doubt very much if they will be compatable with your existing system.
Brian & Jo

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In fact its just heavy for me lift as I have back issues , Armitage's say its 30kg as its the heavy duty model which is needed since the car weighs 1170kg but I would say its nearer 40kg .
What exactly is the problem with lifting it - is it just so that you can put it on/off the tow ball - if so then I'm sure there'd be a way of sorting something to make this easier.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Lightweight A frames are used where the braking device is electronic and fits in the drivers' footwell. They're lightweight because they don't have the braking mechanism, cable connection, etc.

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
What exactly is the problem with lifting it - is it just so that you can put it on/off the tow ball - if so then I'm sure there'd be a way of sorting something to make this easier.

The problem is that its heavy , well heavy in my book and as I suffer from back problems due to an accident in my past working life I really struggle to lift it out of the car boot without being in pain .
It has a jockey wheel which really only helps with hitching up to the motorhome as I can drive the car with the A -frame attached and guide it onto the towball .
When the frame is assembled and attached to the car its easy enough couple or uncouple but its the lifting out of the car is the issue .
TBH if i cant get a suitably lighter A -frame attachment that I can manage then I'll have to look at other options perhaps a trailer or maybe just do without .

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back