Am I driving too slow

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Nirvanauk, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

In France we use the toll roads and I set the cruise control to 105kph as a true speed this shows as nearly 70mph on the speedo. I have a 6 metre PVC.
    Just talking to a Belgian who arrived yesterday morning who did the 1200 k dash by leaving at 20:30hrs the night and setting his cruise control to 140kph by his satnav so that is probably indicating >150k on his speedo and he is in a 7.4 metre Bessimar.

Phew!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

If the road in front is completely empty and there's a 25mile jam behind you, yes, you probably are driving a bit slow :D

The ever helpful Badknee (y)

• Like Like x 2
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

You're the one who wont have a letterbox full of french speeding tickets when you get home.

750 miles at 90 mph.....remind me not to buy their van when they sell it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. MikeD

MikeD Funster

You drive faster than me, I don't think I have ever been over 60mph in mine. (y)

5. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Doesn't matter how fast or slow u go as long as u get there safe.... Stick at 60 mph nice speed u can the cd playing plus u won't spill your coffee wen your driving. Truckers do it best.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Firstly you speed you get from the GPS is not 100% as there are to many things between you and the GPS fix that can be wrong, always stick to the speedo. Secondly 90kph should be around where you sit as if you go past the "speed cameras" you will get flashed and finned above that speed even if it says 110kph as the camera see you as HGV !!!!. Some MH owners what the best MPG they cn get and at 90kph you are right in that zone. Currently I'm getting 35 MPG best average 30MPG and I have a scooter on the back.

Having said all the above it's your MH and you do whatever speed you want as no one can tell you otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Never drive faster than your angel can fly

• Like Like x 7
  8. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

What is all this speed about?

Aren't you on holiday to relax and enjoy life in France, or any other country, not charging about watching grey tarmac whizzing beneath the wheels?

And how on earth can the passenger make a decent cup of tea while you're driving if you speed around – slow down and let the brews keep coming without spilling them!

Pilote Back MHF.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  9. iandsm

iandsm Funster

What matters is how you drive, and its a mistake to compare your driving to the Belgian 150kph is around 93 MPH= to fast. Your Belgian friend is either telling porkies (yeah his also does 40 MPG and he has had surgery to reduce his manhood to 9 ins as all the girls complained it was too large) or he drive like a prat, or both:LOL:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 8
  10. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

........and it makes a massive difference to the fuel consumption. We normally stick at 60 anyway except when a bit late for something. If over 3.5 tonnes be careful of the unladen weight - over 3050kg and you are restricted to 50 on A roads, 60 on dual carriageway and 70 on the motorways. Don't forget those nice average speed cameras.

As previous post, usually if you are moving with the flow of traffic then it's ok.

Edit just seen Don Quixote's post - spot on. You will be fined. Didn't someone on here (could have been "facts") pick up two tickets for doing over 60 on the A14 around Cambridge last year?

11. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

anything over 50mph on belgian roads will require new suspension :eek:

• Like Like x 3
  12. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Driving around Antwerp especially!

13. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

Belgian roads to test your suspension ......

• Like Like x 1
  14. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

15. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

I think you'll find that on motorways the speed limit for MH at 3.5 tonne is 100kph

16. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

I sit at 70 ish and the extra fuel used between that and 60 is next too nothing.
    There is a saving to be had if you drive at 50 but that's not for me.Last time we were in France we got talking to a couple who had been to Italy and said they had nearly been killed and wouldn't be going back.
    He was one of those 50 is plenty people,turns out he was going through some tunnels somewhere and each time had a trail of arctics behind him ,as he left the tunnel the lorries tried to get passed and nearly ran him off the road.This happened several times over a couple of days,he said it was too dangerous to drive there and that they were all mad.
    I couldn't help thinking he was the mad one for driving so slowly and causing the problem in the first place!

Re speed cameras in France I've been flashed by my fair share but never had anything through the post,so sleep easy.

Vlad

• Like Like x 2
  17. Movinon

Movinon Funster

My current 2.3 150 Fiat is happiest at around 55mph. The engine is less stressed, the chassis motion is more stable, the fuel consumption is better, I have a greater safety margin, I'm able to relax in the inside lane instead of having to race around lorries and yet I have some power in reserve if needed. Previous motorhomes on different chassis and from different manufacturers were exactly the same. You should always listen to the vehicle, it will tell you where it is happiest to operate. Ignoring this leads to unnecessary stress on both of you.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

I couldn't agree with your first paragraph more. If I sit at 65 to 70 then I get 31 mpg. If I sit at 55 then I get 32. Whoop de doo.

19. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

If that is the case in France why do the speed camera flash you at 90+KPH ?????

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster