Alugas Expiry Date Question.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by bigtree, Jun 10, 2015.

1. bigtree

bigtree Funster

What do you do when the gas bottle reaches it's expiry date,does it get tested or do you need to buy a new one?

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Is the info not on the Alugas site ?

I have Gaslow. .. they say
    After 10 years you must return your cylinder to a Gaslow dealer who will exchange it and charge a replacement fee.

3. Fletton

Fletton Funster

Interesting Question.... I don't know the answer... But I am considering fitting Alugas..

So may I ask what the "life-span" of said bottles are? :)

4. rosalan

rosalan Funster

This is a very good question.
    Checking the internet...In Australia, BBQ gas bottles must be tested every ten years. It is illegal to fill a gas bottle that is past its expiry date but you are allowed to use it, past the expiry date, if it still contains gas..... which ties up with the Gaslow answer but I wonder how many old calor, gaz and other bottles have been 'rescued' with no idea of its age and happily sitting in vans at this very moment.
    Regulators have a 4 year lifespan, or so they say.
    Alan

5. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

I would have thought Dave Newell will be here soon with answer.

6. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

The cylinder should be re-tested on the date shown on the cylinder. Quote Alugas fact sheet.

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Re-test is required 10 years after installation.

8. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

NO, they say 15 years?

http://www.gaslowdirect.com/Gaslow-6kg-Refillable-Cylinde

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

.. as I quoted , from this page http://www.gaslowdirect.com/Gaslow-R67-11kg-Refillable-Cylinder-No

The Gaslow R67 11kg Refillable Cylinder is designed for installation in your caravan/motorhome locker

They can be filled using the Gaslow Filler Kit at thousands of LPG stations across the UK and Europe
    The cylinders are manufactured from steel and carry our full 10 year warranty as requested by the R67 standard.
    For complete safety the R67 approved filler valves automatically shut off the gas when the cylinder is 80% full, preventing the dangers associated with overfilling.
    It also has an over pressure safety relief valve.
    The outlet valve has a built in filter to prevent inpurities in the gas damaging the regulator.
    The cylinder has an excess flow valve to restrict the flow of gas if the hose ruptures.
    Our new cylinder is fitted with a new mechanically accurate contents gauge.
    We recommend using the Gaslow 21.8 LH Stainless Steel Hose to connect to your caravan/motorhome regulator

Capacity (80%): 21 litres
    Height: 560mm
    Diameter: 304mm
    Empty Weight: 12.4kg
    Outlet Connection: 21.8LH thread

After 10 years you must return your cylinder to a Gaslow dealer who will exchange it and charge a replacement fee.

10. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

As I understand it the insides don't corrode as there's no oxygen present. As long as my tank looks ok on the outside and doesn't leak I won't be swapping it :)

11. bigtree

bigtree Funster

Getting away from my question guys,it's Alugas bottles I want the info on.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Techno

13. bigtree

bigtree Funster

Sent an email and got my reply,10 years then re-test plus new valves or replace with new cylinder.Kind of expensive methinks as I had saw 2 bottles for sale at what I thought was a good price but they are dated 2018,so in 3 years time I need to buy new bottles.:unsure:

14. Techno

A bottle won't suddenly fail just because it reaches its 10th birthday. It lets gas in and lets gas out in a controlled fashion. As far as I know it's not a legal requirement to pressure test bottles at 10 years for domestic gas. A nice little money spinner for the manufacturer/retailer IMHO
    I think Jock nows about this stuff?
    @JockandRita

15. bigtree

bigtree Funster

For the sake of a few KG's it's not worth the expense.

16. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

It's only an issue when you explode in a spectacular ball of fire, and then you'll be past caring :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  17. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Ok, so they have two different webpages quoting different information, so we are both right & they haven't a clue what they are doing. Don't know about you, but I'm well used to that.

18. Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes Funster

The Stako cylinders on the Discovery have a 10-year life, but nothing to say what to do after that 10 years is up.

We inspect our tanks annually for strap and body corrosion, but little deterioration is happening.

The trailer tank is inside and is as good as new, despite being in its fifth season.

Given the requirements for pressure vessels and their testing, I'd have expected something mandatory, especially given the 10 bar filling pressure.

I'd work on the basis of a visual inspection annually if nothing else is available in the way of info from the makers.

Peter

19. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Its really quite simple, after ten years the cylinder should be inspected and fitted with new valves. As Techno says they are not likely to explode just because they're past their ten year birthday but IT IS A SAFETY ISSUE. How do you know your system is safe and good to use for more years to come? Unless you have it inspected by someone who knows what they're doing you won't know will you?

Calor and other exchange bottle services cylinders are periodically taken out of service (assuming you return them and don't use dodgy adapters to fill them yourself of course) stripped of the valve, cleaned thoroughly, examined thoroughly, new valve fitted and repainted so that Calor and others can ensure their cylinders are safe to continue using.

The inspection and fitting of new valves at ten years applies to all refillable cylinders and tanks as far as I am aware.

D.

• Like Like x 2