Alpujarras

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Antonio, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Antonio

Antonio Funster

Sorry I have to do this. Read it as you will. Just come back from a quick week in Ugijar. The locals hate the Brits, the food was crap, weather, well... Places to park a motorhome useless, views hopeless. Drove down past the Embalse de Beniar to check out the camper site at Belerma. Don't bother,waste of time. Site no good and too far from the beach. Called at Torvizcon on way back to airport, had toast, coffee and brandy 5 euros, what a rip off! Stay away from the Alpujarras. It's mine!

• Like Like x 7
  2. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Sorry @Antonio , you have to share :) we love the Alpujarras too (though we haven't done it in the MH, only on horseback & on foot).

3. Antonio

Antonio Funster

OK. I lived in Ugijar from 2006 to 2009. We had a cortijo with land. my partner died 8 months after we moved there. I stayed for 2 years then came back to the UK to look after my father. He died and in my heart I knew the Alpujarrus was home. Although I'm from Gods county! and always will be. don't ask.... The people of the area were so good to me after Ann died and when ever I go back it feels like home. I wanted to check places I could go with my old Hymer 660s and my dog. You can find lots of places. The site at Belerma is new and it looks very good. Of course there are so many other places. We once walked from St Jose in the Cabo de Gata along the cliffs, wow. My youngest daughter came to visit me one november. I remember it was the 15th. took her to Almerimar and she went for a swim, next dfay up to Ragua and throwing snowballs. All I can really say is that the people are very,very kind.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Antonio

Antonio Funster

Ho by the way the toast, coffee and brandy was for two!

• Like Like x 3
  5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I've only been once, to what I think are called the high alpujarras, at Pitres. Some very good walking and a lot of history. But I did find the bits I saw lower down the valley a bit touristy, there were some very large, organised walking parties wandering the streets in Orgiva. But yes, a nice area though having this year discovered the Vall de Laguar (inland from Denia) and the surrounding valleys, these are strong competition - and much less touristy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

this sounds like a great place. thank you.

7. cliffandger

cliffandger Funster Life Member

I've always wanted to visit after reading Chris Stewart's book Driving over Lemons! :)

8. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

We go to Orgiva every year on our way back to U.K. from Zahora. We love it there! Always get the bus up to the Poquiera Valley and Pampaneira, Bubion and Capileira. @cliffhanger you really should go there! Best tapas in Spain in most of the bars. Camping Orgiva is lovely.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Antonio

Antonio Funster

mmmm. Bit like what Herriot did to the dales. I would go east of Orgiva,but up to you.

10. Antonio

Antonio Funster

The pools only open from the 1st july to the end of august. This time I went to the ones in Valor, the bar has changed hands and I only got nuts for tapas and Macina Bombaron 2euros for the day, 1.5 euros for beer and good tapas and loads of easy parking, Im sure you could over night. Ugijar has lots of good places to eat. La Pena is good for people watching with a diferent tapas for each drink. Pepe Aguadas for a choice of tapas or a very good la carta and they all do menu del dia. I always had toast,coffee and brandy for breakfast at Juans on the main street, but you do get a few Brits there.

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

That makes sense, Orgiva was what might be called from where I come from, "thrang on", that is, stuffed with people.

If I went back I would also try the campsite at Trevelez.

12. Antonio

Antonio Funster

Ho and as a last note, if you do venture to the eastern Alpujarras you will have to communicate in Spanish, very few people have any English at all :)

13. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Neither do quite a few Funster if you read some of the posts on here - not on this thread I hasten to as! :)

14. Antonio

Antonio Funster

DBK keep going east, Trevelez is still a tourist area.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Antonio

Antonio Funster

Must admit not reet good at English misen! Trouble is my Spanish is very rural as well!Hasta luego comes out as waygo, but thats the way they say it there!

16. Antonio

Antonio Funster

Thrang on. Devon, or do I get a wiff of over the border?

17. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I'm from Cumbria and I heard the phrase used to describe places like Keswick in August but I think the phrase might be from the north east or perhaps more generally just the Borders?

Having just googled it, "thrang" seems to come from "throng", that is, a crowd.

18. Antonio

Antonio Funster

Meant t'other side of pennines:) Mind you in Hawes it could be gay thrang with peskies!

• Like Like x 1
  19. bellabee

bellabee Funster

When I were a lass (in the West Riding), old people who said they were 'reight throng', meant they were very busy.

This thread seems to be way off topic. Are the Alpujarras a 'no no' in the winter? We're planning on Spain in January, but don't like busy sites in built-up areas. - Maybe someone's going to tell me not to go to Spain, then? We've only been to Spain in the summer - and not to the coast. We're looking for somewhere peaceful. Is this impossible?

20. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Yes, you can go there in winter but it will be cold, to state the blindingly obvious! :) They also have monumental storms sometimes, read Chris Stewart's books for accounts of how many times his bridge has been swept away. The campsite at Trevelez is I believe open all year and the one at Pitres probably is as well but their website is unclear.

• Like Like x 1