Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
Sorry I have to do this. Read it as you will. Just come back from a quick week in Ugijar. The locals hate the Brits, the food was crap, weather, well... Places to park a motorhome useless, views hopeless. Drove down past the Embalse de Beniar to check out the camper site at Belerma. Don't bother,waste of time. Site no good and too far from the beach. Called at Torvizcon on way back to airport, had toast, coffee and brandy 5 euros, what a rip off! Stay away from the Alpujarras. It's mine!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sorry @Antonio , you have to share :) we love the Alpujarras too (though we haven't done it in the MH, only on horseback & on foot).

OP
OP
Antonio

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
OK. I lived in Ugijar from 2006 to 2009. We had a cortijo with land. my partner died 8 months after we moved there. I stayed for 2 years then came back to the UK to look after my father. He died and in my heart I knew the Alpujarrus was home. Although I'm from Gods county! and always will be. don't ask.... The people of the area were so good to me after Ann died and when ever I go back it feels like home. I wanted to check places I could go with my old Hymer 660s and my dog. You can find lots of places. The site at Belerma is new and it looks very good. Of course there are so many other places. We once walked from St Jose in the Cabo de Gata along the cliffs, wow. My youngest daughter came to visit me one november. I remember it was the 15th. took her to Almerimar and she went for a swim, next dfay up to Ragua and throwing snowballs. All I can really say is that the people are very,very kind.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've only been once, to what I think are called the high alpujarras, at Pitres. Some very good walking and a lot of history. But I did find the bits I saw lower down the valley a bit touristy, there were some very large, organised walking parties wandering the streets in Orgiva. But yes, a nice area though having this year discovered the Vall de Laguar (inland from Denia) and the surrounding valleys, these are strong competition - and much less touristy.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
this sounds like a great place. thank you.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I've always wanted to visit after reading Chris Stewart's book Driving over Lemons! :)

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We go to Orgiva every year on our way back to U.K. from Zahora. We love it there! Always get the bus up to the Poquiera Valley and Pampaneira, Bubion and Capileira. @cliffhanger you really should go there! Best tapas in Spain in most of the bars. Camping Orgiva is lovely.

OP
OP
Antonio

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
mmmm. Bit like what Herriot did to the dales. I would go east of Orgiva,but up to you.

OP
OP
Antonio

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
The pools only open from the 1st july to the end of august. This time I went to the ones in Valor, the bar has changed hands and I only got nuts for tapas and Macina Bombaron 2euros for the day, 1.5 euros for beer and good tapas and loads of easy parking, Im sure you could over night. Ugijar has lots of good places to eat. La Pena is good for people watching with a diferent tapas for each drink. Pepe Aguadas for a choice of tapas or a very good la carta and they all do menu del dia. I always had toast,coffee and brandy for breakfast at Juans on the main street, but you do get a few Brits there.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
mmmm. Bit like what Herriot did to the dales. I would go east of Orgiva,but up to you.
That makes sense, Orgiva was what might be called from where I come from, "thrang on", that is, stuffed with people.

If I went back I would also try the campsite at Trevelez.

OP
OP
Antonio

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
Ho and as a last note, if you do venture to the eastern Alpujarras you will have to communicate in Spanish, very few people have any English at all :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ho and as a last note, if you do venture to the eastern Alpujarras you will have to communicate in Spanish, very few people have any English at all :)
Neither do quite a few Funster if you read some of the posts on here - not on this thread I hasten to as! :)

OP
OP
Antonio

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
Must admit not reet good at English misen! Trouble is my Spanish is very rural as well!Hasta luego comes out as waygo, but thats the way they say it there!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thrang on. Devon, or do I get a wiff of over the border?
I'm from Cumbria and I heard the phrase used to describe places like Keswick in August but I think the phrase might be from the north east or perhaps more generally just the Borders?

Having just googled it, "thrang" seems to come from "throng", that is, a crowd.

OP
OP
Antonio

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
Meant t'other side of pennines:) Mind you in Hawes it could be gay thrang with peskies!

Reactions: DBK
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
When I were a lass (in the West Riding), old people who said they were 'reight throng', meant they were very busy.

This thread seems to be way off topic. Are the Alpujarras a 'no no' in the winter? We're planning on Spain in January, but don't like busy sites in built-up areas. - Maybe someone's going to tell me not to go to Spain, then? We've only been to Spain in the summer - and not to the coast. We're looking for somewhere peaceful. Is this impossible?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When I were a lass (in the West Riding), old people who said they were 'reight throng', meant they were very busy.

This thread seems to be way off topic. Are the Alpujarras a 'no no' in the winter? We're planning on Spain in January, but don't like busy sites in built-up areas. - Maybe someone's going to tell me not to go to Spain, then? We've only been to Spain in the summer - and not to the coast. We're looking for somewhere peaceful. Is this impossible?
Yes, you can go there in winter but it will be cold, to state the blindingly obvious! :) They also have monumental storms sometimes, read Chris Stewart's books for accounts of how many times his bridge has been swept away. The campsite at Trevelez is I believe open all year and the one at Pitres probably is as well but their website is unclear.

OP
OP
Antonio

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
I checked out the newish site at Balerma a couple of weeks ago. Seems ok. When I do get back with the Hymer I will prob stay there for a month or two. There is also a site near Laroles and a small one near Laujar de Andarax. Probably best to get some snow chains in winter if in the hills as it is mandatory to have them on some high roads.
The picture is my old house just outside Ugijar a few years ago. I remember it was november 30th. Mind you my youngest daughter came on the 15th and after a 30 min drive she was swimming in the med!

Attachments

• 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    318 KB · Views: 19

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I did one year swim in the med off Malaga on Dec 25th.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
My place in the Alpujarras is 1,200m above sea level and is below the snow line most of the winter. Chris Stewarts area (Orgiva) is at much lower altitude and the winters are rather like spring compared to the higher altitudes. Orgiva camp site is probably open all year and the access roads are good.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Had a look at Orgiva campsite. It seem like a good possibility. Thanks, @Flamenca

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I did one year swim in the med off Malaga on Dec 25th.

I have done that in Blackpool on Boxing day..Much younger and much dafter then..BUSBY:):):)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I have done that in Blackpool on Boxing day..Much younger and much dafter then..BUSBY:):):)
aaargh - at least I checked the water for WARMTH first!!! ;)

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I've only been once, to what I think are called the high alpujarras, at Pitres. Some very good walking and a lot of history. But I did find the bits I saw lower down the valley a bit touristy, there were some very large, organised walking parties wandering the streets in Orgiva. But yes, a nice area though having this year discovered the Vall de Laguar (inland from Denia) and the surrounding valleys, these are strong competition - and much less touristy.

Lived for a while in Sanet y Negrals just North East of Vall de Laguar, it's so easy to immerse your self into rural Spain.
Some of the finest people in the world.

:cooler:

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back