Air suspension

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Sid40, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Sid40

Sid40

Hi all,

Just signed up and have a question.I.m interested in airsuspension on my Hymer exis-I. Having looked on several WEB sites, decided not to go for the DIY ones.
    It seems that the majority have airsuspension on the rear axle only, but there are also ones on rear and front axle.
    My question: Any experience with them and what is the benifit of having both axles done, as there is a huge price difference.
    Thanks

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Hello and welcome, I have just gone down these options for my Hymer, it makes a big difference depending on what chassis you have

3. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve. I wanted to improve my payload so went the DIY, rear suspension only route - with good results.

4. Sid40

Sid40

Thanks Bill
    A smoother ride comes first, but if there are more options like slight levelling etc, that is a plus, but not when the prce triples

5. Sid40

Sid40

Thanks David,

How many axles have you done? I have an AL-KO chasis

6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

It's the base vehicle chassis that matters most, we have a Mercedes Sprinter base vehicle, you have no option to add air suspension to the front axle

7. Sid40

Sid40

Thanks David. Does that mean the AL-KO Chasis can not have the front axle done?

8. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

Air assisted suspension on the rear is a relativity straightforward job and you can go for a basic kit (without gauges and compressor) for about £400 or add gauges and compressor for about another £300 I think (e.g. www.marcleleisure.co.uk). I may be talking rubbish now but front suspension is a different kettle of fish and I'd want that done professionally! Hopefully there will be someone on MHF that has gone this route and can give you proper advice.

9. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

what is the base vehicle (what engine)?

10. Happy Hymer

Happy Hymer Read Only Funster

Hi all,
    I'm blocked to reply, as my account shows I'm a read only member.I paid the £10 subscribtion via PayPal and the message says that my account will be upgraded at once.
    Why is this not happening???
    I'm now logged in through an other account as I can not see how to contact who is responsible for the update of the accounts

11. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Jim (forum boss) is not shown as on line at the moment, I am sure he will sort it when he gets back

12. Ethle the wondervan

Ethle the wondervan

Air suspension was fitted to our van when we bought it. It was pumped up quite high as the previous owner said he preferred it that way. The rear suspension felt very stiff/dead to me and the back end was lifted up so much we looked like we were driving a huge wedge of cheese. I soon released most of the pressure and the van settled down and became more comfortable to drive and felt safer!
    The manufacturers of the base vehicles are not daft. The standard equipment and settings are designed and tested to destruction with more severe loadings than motorhomers will ever put them through and yet we are conned into believing that a bag of wind jammed between the suspension and chassis is going to provide a magic carpet ride!
    So...... I am a none believer. Anyway......ahem...... That's wot I think.

13. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

Hello ethie , if you let out all the air and drive it does it drive OK ? , if you were then to put some pressure in , would that improve the ride ? .
    Might as well try as you have the equipment already .

14. Sid40

Sid40

Hi all,
    It seems my status has been upgraded now and can reply again.
    Thanks all for your replies.
    Just some comment on Ethie's reply.I can understand what your saying, but remember that an air cushion will always beat a mechanical spring action. I also look for a system what has indepent cushion control.
    There are two suppliers: AS-Airsuspension (only rear axle) or VB Air suspension ( choice of rear axle or all 4 wheels) Apart from the huge price difference what is the benifit of having all wheels done justifying the price difference

15. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

I had mine done by AS, luckily local to me but got very good feedback regarding the company, very professional outfit and as it was a new van didn't want to attempt myself think cost was about £700 buts that's on a fiat C/B not A class
    When I picked the van up from dealer on driving home noticed a harsh ride and swaying when overtaking trucks (or them overtaking me) looked in air suspension and made a world of difference to the stability of the van (7mtrs) very pleased and nice panel fitted to suit cab area with the ability to alter each side, can get a little leveling done but not much plus an advantage going on ferries so you don't ground rear end
    As regards
    you need to have a min of 2 bar in the bellows to ensure they don't split and I run at 3 or 4 bar depending on load ( mine is 4250 chassis) so don't really go any where near overloading but if garage full ish will increase a little

16. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

17. Sid40

Sid40

Hi Gorse Hill,
    I went on AS web site and the comments from customers confirm your response.

18. Sid40

Sid40

Thanks Trikeman, I went on your link and must say I admire you for the work done. Must have given a very nice feeling after completion.
    I think I'm getting to old doing this myself, don't think my bones will agree with this anymore!!
    Your comments confirm the expectation I have from airsusspension.
    I only wonder if there is anyone who have it done on all 4 wheels and what their comments are

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

Trikeman - I used the same kit on my Auto-Trail (except for the pressure gauge) and, as you say, the job is fairly straightforward. The only tool I had to borrow was a torque wrench for the leaf spring clamps.
    Sid40 - you do need to be able to get under the van and roll on the ground a bit - but it is a DIY job if you're up for it!

20. Sid40

Sid40

Bill- rollong on the ground is not a problem; it's the rolling and swinging tools what gives the problem.