Mar 13, 2015
Sidmouth Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis-I698
Exp
2Year
Hi all,

Just signed up and have a question.I.m interested in airsuspension on my Hymer exis-I. Having looked on several WEB sites, decided not to go for the DIY ones.
It seems that the majority have airsuspension on the rear axle only, but there are also ones on rear and front axle.
My question: Any experience with them and what is the benifit of having both axles done, as there is a huge price difference.
Thanks

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
It all depends on what you are trying to achieve. I wanted to improve my payload so went the DIY, rear suspension only route - with good results.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sid40

Sid40

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Sidmouth Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis-I698
Exp
2Year
Thanks Bill
A smoother ride comes first, but if there are more options like slight levelling etc, that is a plus, but not when the prce triples

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It's the base vehicle chassis that matters most, we have a Mercedes Sprinter base vehicle, you have no option to add air suspension to the front axle

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Air assisted suspension on the rear is a relativity straightforward job and you can go for a basic kit (without gauges and compressor) for about £400 or add gauges and compressor for about another £300 I think (e.g. www.marcleleisure.co.uk). I may be talking rubbish now but front suspension is a different kettle of fish and I'd want that done professionally! Hopefully there will be someone on MHF that has gone this route and can give you proper advice.

Upvote 0

Happy Hymer

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Sidmouth Devon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2014
Hi all,
I'm blocked to reply, as my account shows I'm a read only member.I paid the £10 subscribtion via PayPal and the message says that my account will be upgraded at once.
Why is this not happening???
I'm now logged in through an other account as I can not see how to contact who is responsible for the update of the accounts

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi all,
I'm blocked to reply, as my account shows I'm a read only member.I paid the £10 subscribtion via PayPal and the message says that my account will be upgraded at once.
Why is this not happening???
I'm now logged in through an other account as I can not see how to contact who is responsible for the update of the accounts

Jim (forum boss) is not shown as on line at the moment, I am sure he will sort it when he gets back

Upvote 0

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Air suspension was fitted to our van when we bought it. It was pumped up quite high as the previous owner said he preferred it that way. The rear suspension felt very stiff/dead to me and the back end was lifted up so much we looked like we were driving a huge wedge of cheese. I soon released most of the pressure and the van settled down and became more comfortable to drive and felt safer!
The manufacturers of the base vehicles are not daft. The standard equipment and settings are designed and tested to destruction with more severe loadings than motorhomers will ever put them through and yet we are conned into believing that a bag of wind jammed between the suspension and chassis is going to provide a magic carpet ride!
So...... I am a none believer. Anyway......ahem...... That's wot I think.

Upvote 0

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Hello ethie , if you let out all the air and drive it does it drive OK ? , if you were then to put some pressure in , would that improve the ride ? .
Might as well try as you have the equipment already .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sid40

Sid40

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Sidmouth Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis-I698
Exp
2Year
Hi all,
It seems my status has been upgraded now and can reply again.
Thanks all for your replies.
Just some comment on Ethie's reply.I can understand what your saying, but remember that an air cushion will always beat a mechanical spring action. I also look for a system what has indepent cushion control.
There are two suppliers: AS-Airsuspension (only rear axle) or VB Air suspension ( choice of rear axle or all 4 wheels) Apart from the huge price difference what is the benifit of having all wheels done justifying the price difference

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I had mine done by AS, luckily local to me but got very good feedback regarding the company, very professional outfit and as it was a new van didn't want to attempt myself think cost was about £700 buts that's on a fiat C/B not A class
When I picked the van up from dealer on driving home noticed a harsh ride and swaying when overtaking trucks (or them overtaking me) looked in air suspension and made a world of difference to the stability of the van (7mtrs) very pleased and nice panel fitted to suit cab area with the ability to alter each side, can get a little leveling done but not much plus an advantage going on ferries so you don't ground rear end
As regards
Air suspension was fitted to our van when we bought it. It was pumped up quite high as the previous owner said he preferred it that way. The rear suspension felt very stiff/dead to me and the back end was lifted up so much we looked like we were driving a huge wedge of cheese. I soon released most of the pressure and the van settled down and became more comfortable to drive and felt safer!
The manufacturers of the base vehicles are not daft. The standard equipment and settings are designed and tested to destruction with more severe loadings than motorhomers will ever put them through and yet we are conned into believing that a bag of wind jammed between the suspension and chassis is going to provide a magic carpet ride!
So...... I am a none believer. Anyway......ahem...... That's wot I think.
you need to have a min of 2 bar in the bellows to ensure they don't split and I run at 3 or 4 bar depending on load ( mine is 4250 chassis) so don't really go any where near overloading but if garage full ish will increase a little

Upvote 0

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sid40

Sid40

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Sidmouth Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis-I698
Exp
2Year
Thanks Trikeman, I went on your link and must say I admire you for the work done. Must have given a very nice feeling after completion.
I think I'm getting to old doing this myself, don't think my bones will agree with this anymore!!
Your comments confirm the expectation I have from airsusspension.
I only wonder if there is anyone who have it done on all 4 wheels and what their comments are

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Trikeman - I used the same kit on my Auto-Trail (except for the pressure gauge) and, as you say, the job is fairly straightforward. The only tool I had to borrow was a torque wrench for the leaf spring clamps.
Sid40 - you do need to be able to get under the van and roll on the ground a bit - but it is a DIY job if you're up for it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sid40

Sid40

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Sidmouth Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis-I698
Exp
2Year
Bill- rollong on the ground is not a problem; it's the rolling and swinging tools what gives the problem.

Upvote 0

BFM14

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
Leicester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I take in all that is said about the ride; which is a bonus in itself, but does it upgrade the load that an axle can take?

Thanks

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @Sid40

If you get the VB for all 4 corners you will get what they call 4 channel which means that each corner can work/control indipendently which will give you a certain amount of levelling as well as a smooth and level ride on the road. Yes it is more expensive than just sticking a couple of air bags on top on the springs but its a lot more than that and thats what you pay for.

I know @DavidG58 has his kit fitted by Mick at SAP and I believe he is happy with the work, he also fitted the level jack to our van and I have no hesitation in recommending him. http://www.sap-ltd.co.uk/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sid40

Sid40

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Sidmouth Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis-I698
Exp
2Year
Hi funflair, Thanks for your reply. After reading all info about this subject have decided to go for the VB Air suspension on both axles i.e all four wheels
I agree with previous comments that an air bellow on top of the springs is not the best solution although it will improve the handling of the motorhome. Having all wheels covered is in my opinion the best solution and a full control of levelling.

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Have previously fittined an AirRide system to one of my previous vans you can / buy the kit for around £250 (Rear)and not rocket sciance to fit if you can wield a spanner.
made a whole load of difference to the ride and cornering.
The van I now have has had a Goldschmitt air system on it (Rear) capacity was upgraded in Germany and the good thing on this one you can alter pressuer + / - from the driving position

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi all,
It seems my status has been upgraded now and can reply again.
Thanks all for your replies.
Just some comment on Ethie's reply.I can understand what your saying, but remember that an air cushion will always beat a mechanical spring action. I also look for a system what has indepent cushion control.
There are two suppliers: AS-Airsuspension (only rear axle) or VB Air suspension ( choice of rear axle or all 4 wheels) Apart from the huge price difference what is the benifit of having all wheels done justifying the price difference

What model and year is your van please.

Did you not specify the front goldsmitt (spelling?) spring upgrade, as most exsis buyers do and its part of one of the packs?

Air assist and full sir suspension completely different beasts, in effect and price! Full air the beees knees with a price to match. Air assist can be fitted on rear for £250 - £400. But this is just to firm up the ride or fitted by people wanting to upgrade the payload, may need to upgrade tyres as well, dependent on what chassis van on, as some upgrades are just a paper exercise? But all these modifications add weight and eat into payload?

You pays your monies for what you gets......

What's wrong with your vans ride that you want to resolve....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have an Exsis i-678 same size and weight as your van and I don't understand why you would need air suspension. The Exsis has the Al-Ko AMC light chassis and Goldsmitt springs at the front (assuming you had the extra pack with drivers door). The ride is very good much softer than other Motorhomes I have been in and very car like to drive, I don't believe you would achieve much for the outlay. Hindsight now but full air is on the option list & a lot cheaper than an after fit. Also if looking to upgrade payload you will probably need to change the tyres to 225x70 R15.

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
After reading all info about this subject have decided to go for the VB Air suspension on both axles i.e all four wheels

VB, Full Air .... The way to go... I have it on all wheels/Axles... Superb ride... Stability... No need to carry Ramps in most places... Tilts to one side to completely empty Tanks... Lower it down to within 3 - 4 inches of the ground... Tilt front or back... drop the back right down to make loading heavy items in the garage easier... Off road facility, Lifts vehicle right up in the air to stop grounding. (Handy on steep ramps, Ferry etc)... Auto Level for parking...

All ready fitted when I bought the van....

Would I have it fitted on a new van...

I don`t know,,,, I would like to think I could afford it, but £5 - 6K,,, is an awful lot of White Wine.. :whistle::D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sid40

Sid40

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Sidmouth Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis-I698
Exp
2Year
Hi judgemental and lennyhb,

The answer on your question is in the reply from old-mo.
Also I got the demo from the NEC exhibition so no new order, but got all the extra's included in the demo.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back