Air Suspension. Rubena Or Dunlop?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Bartyfixedit, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Bartyfixedit

Bartyfixedit Funster

I am planning on putting some airbags on the back of my Ducato PVC as the rear springs are getting a little tired and I intend to use bike racks.

The inflation equipment I shall be designing and making myself as I can do this for easily less than £100 with twin gauges and independent inflation/deflation with the compressor.

I'm trying to keep costs down and it has to be said that the Rubena is about £100 cheaper for the pair. Has anyone had bad experiences with the Rubena bags? The van is a PVC and so can't really see that the bag is going to be running at anywhere near maximum pressure and so I would have thought the Rubena would suffice but I would value the opinions of others on this forum.

Thanks all,

David.

2. berni109

berni109 Funster

I think this is a classic case of 'u pays u'r money and takes u'r choice'. There are obviously very many out there and I am sure we would have heard on here if one was inferior to the other.
    I was happy to go with the cheaper option on a PVC because as you say they are not going to be unusually stressed. Only time will tell.
    The bottom fitting on mine was a clamp arrangement either side and partly under the spring rather than a plate held under the u bolts which is what the Dunlop kit looks like so mine was easier to fit but cant imagine there is much difference in time
    Running at under 2 bar but not used van too much since fitting - may need to up the pressure- we will see

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bartyfixedit

Bartyfixedit Funster

Thanks Berni,

Which setup did you go for in the end? I'm looking at one on eBay
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-DUCA...452?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a51d5d83c

I'm going to contact them tomorrow and see if I can get the price down a bit without gauge.

I'm glad to see you're only running at around the 2 bar mark as the pressure gauges I've ordered only go up to 4 bar. It's a silly thing but it has always offended me to see a pressure gauge operating barely into its range.:LOL:

4. berni109

berni109 Funster

5. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

I have just fitted the Dunlop ones and they seem to do the job okay. I'm using them to level up the van as well as helping with the suspension so on one side I have just above the minimum allowed at 10lbs and the other side has 40lbs in. Even this low pressure has lifted the back of the van at least 2inches.

Mike

6. abforfun

abforfun Funster

Look at tl tech they fitted mine and they work ok down in the alps now

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Fitted that kit 3000 miles ago. BUT acting on advice here I bought a second gauge off them so they are not cross linked. Seems to work. She charged me about £25 for the second guage and piping.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bartyfixedit

Bartyfixedit Funster

Thanks all. I went for the Ebay one I linked to in the end.Got the set for £240 without the gauge box as I am making up the control panel myself.