Air suspension Help required !

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by FrankCoffi, Apr 29, 2016.

1. FrankCoffi

FrankCoffi Funster

2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Looks like it is all there .. Mind you, what chassis are you on ?

As long as your van has leaf spring and bump stops that is the right kit.
    Fitting time for the DIY moderately able is about 300 minutes !

3. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

I would find out who makes that particular kit as with a compressor it looks a bit cheap compared to some makes.
    I fitted Dunlop to my Peugeot which I bought from Marcel Leisure.

4. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Says in the blurb that the compressor is an extra.

5. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

another thing is making sure you haven't a Alko chassis fitted,
    my Renault master has so did require a totally different kit,
    my kit from marcel leisure cost upwards of £750 a couple of years back

6. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

It's also for a twin rear wheel model

Joe

7. FrankCoffi

FrankCoffi Funster

HI all,
    did check with the seller and a compressor is part of this kit,they were good enough to send me a photo of the compressor and gauges that come with this kit.
    They do do a cheaper kit for the Renault master,which is the base vehicle on my Lunar motorhome ,at the price of £319.99,as against the £399.99 the price of this kit,which does not include a compressor and needs pumping up with a foot pump or 12v plug in compressor.
    Having read their feedback and checked via the internet all seems to be good,even though the price seems reasonable.Don't forget that most of the price you pay to have one installed is fitting,which tends to hike the price quiet a lot !! Will check what suspension is fitted to my van though,thanks.
    I would be able to install it myself so that helps,I was more interested in finding out if anyone has this particular air suspension installed and what they think ? Although all replies out welcome.

Regards to all Frank. (See you all at Newbury).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  8. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Hi Frank, I have been looking at the exact same kit for our Renault Master based Hobby.. I was looking at the same item but from this seller who is based nearer me in Leicester.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282017497079?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    I have looked at lots of vids of fitting and they seem pretty straight forward to fit.. am waiting for information back regarding the up plating of our MH before i can go forward with a purchase

9. FrankCoffi

FrankCoffi Funster

Hi Kroozer,thanks for the reply,will look into it further,but feel that if this kit fits it should do the job.
    If you purchase and fit give us your experiences.

Regards to all following,Frank.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Debs

Debs Funster

Hi, Les is toying with the idea of fitting air suspension. Would you say it was worth fitting to the Adria please? (Don't know if you rememer but we have a Vision too)

And is there an implication on payload (I know we are running close or even overweight already :( )
    Cheers

11. FrankCoffi

FrankCoffi Funster

Hi Debs,
    as you have probably read,when you fit air suspension it does not allow you to increase the working load. If you are running on the load limit,air suspension would certainly increase the stability of you vehicle.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards Frank.

12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

ROFL !!!!!!!!!!!
    I have just re-read my post !!

NOT 300 minutes.. THIRTY minutes !
    All you need is very basic skills, a BIG pipe wrench ( to unscrew the bump stops ) a couple of small spanners to do the air line fittings up with, and a drill to get the air lines in to the cab area.
    I fitted the control on a seat box side and pump under a seat on the Miller. Simples

13. berni109

berni109 Funster

Air suspension is worth the upgrade IMHO and these kits are just as functional as the more expensive branded items.
    If u do a search u will find lots of previous posts including my own and @Techno did an install thread thats worth reading.
    I think the kits are still available from the company I used and should be cheaper still.

14. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I did it in the road, while it was snowing, with out so much as a jack.. Simplest job I ever did on suspension !!!

You do not need to undo anything.. The kit I got was a Dunlop one from AS and the air bags are held in place by the will of god and the weight of the van.. They just sit there..That is on a Peugiot and Fiat chassis.. Bet the Renault one is gonna be the same !

16. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

Hi Debs
    It transformed the stability at motorway speeds high winds or coaches passing too close, I would say it's the best modifications I have done to the vision,
    you can just do a paper exercise and uprate her to 3900KG if needed but fitting the air suspension makes driving her a pleasure, obviously you can increase clearance height at the rear if needed for ferries as a bonus,
    at the same time I increased tyre size to 235/65R16 with uprated 121 load capacity
    with the slightly larger tyre my speedometer is now pretty much spot on instead of over reading like most vans

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

My thread above is Dunlop
    God isn't remotely involved :eek:

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

The air bags are dunlop yes, but there are several different kits that use Dunlop bags

Here is a picture of mine in place..
    airbag1.jpg

And another showing the top mount

airbag2.jpg

It was simply a matter of removing the bump stops, squeezing the bag a bit, and popping them in place !!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Well that sounds really easy Jaws - thats my kinda DIY :LOL::LOL::LOL: How much did you pay for your Dunlop System ?
    Been talking to a supplier of these air systems and he informed me that 99% of the air bag comes from the same supplier but just stick a different name on some of them ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

AS air mate.. Really good people to deal with, always round the shows.. Very helpful and as I bought the absolute basic kit ( air bags, connectors and lines ) just a tad over £200
    The basic kit allows you to pump the bags up with an air line at a garage ( most applications only need about 32 lbs )
    I just run the lines in to the gas locker..

At a later date, when I had a bit more lolly, I bought a cheapo compressor ( think it was about £8 ! ) and a pucka control panel from AS that came with all the easyfit fittings was about £100

As I said, fitting the basic kit was about 30 minutes.. The hardest job for me ( being cack handed with wood ! ) was fitting the control panel on the seat base.. But moving the lines across, wiring the pump in and plumbing the lines in took maybe another hour.. Still a simple straightforward job though

• Thanks Thanks x 1