Dunlop Air suspension, fitting made easy guide

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Techno, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

For this job you will need some additional ground clearance (Milenco Quattros ideal)
    A long handled torque wrench
    Hammerite Waxoyl to coat all metal parts during assembly
    A tape measure for LSV load sensing valve
    1/2" drive sockets 13,17,22mm
    Hammer, cold chisel, sidecutters, stanley knife, battery drill, 8mm HSS bit

Begin with the rod measurement at the LSV as this may alter with the suspension upgrade and need to be adjusted later BEFORE driving
    [​IMG]
    Next having created more room for your comfort underneath the van if your bump stops are sat on the leaf springs? use your scissor jack to create a small amount of lift (about 25mm 1") make sure the head of the scissor is on a reinforced section of chassis
    [​IMG]
    The bump stop will need a slight persuasion with a hammer and drift or cold chisel on the castellations to just start it off anticlockwise
    [​IMG]
    BS removed
    [​IMG]
    The basic components are superb quality and very robust
    [​IMG]
    Upper bracket fitted and secured with bolt 17mm head
    [​IMG]
    Next comes the removal of the leaf spring U bolts and bump stop bottom plate, 22mm socket and long handled wrench with some brute force to get these babies off
    [​IMG]
    The bump stop plate is NOT replaced but saved for if you remove your kit to transfer to another vehicle.
    Now attach a bellow unit to a bottom bracket loosely with the 13mm headed bolts and attach the appropriate air line (left or right) Marcle recommend red for left blue for right.
    Compress the bellows until all the air is expelled and bend over the other end of the airline to prevent it re inflating, secure with tape or a small cable tie.
    [​IMG]
    Bellows located
    [​IMG]
    U bolted back in place 110nm tightening torque!
    [​IMG]
    Allow the air back into the bellows and fit the top bolts loosly
    [​IMG]
    tighten the bellows bottom bolts 13mm spanner, check alignment before tightening top bolts 13mm
    Decide on a route for your airlines
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    View below rear of driver footwell where handbrake cable goes through to lever 2 x 8mm holes drilled
    [​IMG]
    Airlines appear here and enter fill point and gauge
    [​IMG]
    Units inflated
    [​IMG]
    Now adjust the pressure until the units stand 13.5cm tall about 35psi and re measure the LSV ! remember mine was about 35mm in the first picture?
    Now it is a tad under 30mm
    [​IMG]
    Adjust here until it is the original measurement 8mm spanner to lossen the collar
    [​IMG]

This cost me £411 as illustrated inc VAT n delivery

• Like Like x 11
  2. keith

keith Funster

Thanks for that very clear instructions, except where is the LSV located?

I have saved it as an html file for future reference, and it may be good to upload to the forum database downloads under Manuals - Accessories.
    I think it should be under technical really but cannot find a category for that, maybe Jim might consider it as an addition. :Cool:

3. Techno

Yes agreed Keith I couldn't really find a good place to post it but happy for it to be moved anywhere more appropriate.

The LSV is recognisable by a rod and spring attached to the rear axle. With later vehicles with ABS this does not exist.
    [​IMG]

I should have said this example is x244 based and variations. There are kits for almost all vehicles and the X250 is very similar but without the LSV and a different top mounting plate.

4. keith

keith Funster

Done it.

5. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Thank you for taking the trouble to post this I am sure it will help members on here:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  6. veevee

veevee Funster

I add my thanks too. Have you had time to drive your MH yet?

7. Techno

No :-( first chance will be the Eden camp meet :)

8. sabconsulting

sabconsulting Read Only Funster

Where is the best place to buy these from?

This is very interesting; thanks for posting the photos.

I am interested in adding air suspension to the back of the Ford Ranger that carries our demountable camper - not that it sits too low or handles badly, but mainly as belt and braces to help take some of the load off the springs when off road.

Looking through various threads here people have provided links to companies that will install these systems, but I would want to install it myself (I can fabricate any additional steelwork necessary too) - any ideas who sells these kits at the best price for self-installation?

Thanks,

Steve.

9. Techno

Contact Marcle Leisure. They do various kits but more importantly they do all the parts as spares individually so you could just buy bellows and perhaps fab your own brackets with your skill?
    I bought mine primarily over concern about the body roll and dreadful cornering and the back end lift is certainly a bonus for the steep ramps on some ferries.
    I've realised as a bonus that the potential for levelling on site is enormous and cant wait for the opportunity to show off :Rofl1: not just rear up and down but SIDE to SIDE
    I love to promote DIY and I've done quite a few topics now on various forums. Most stuff being based on my autocruise . £411 for this system is a bargain or even less if you go for the plain filler points.

• Like Like x 1
  10. B-well

B-well Funster

interesting thread. have air suspension fitted and checked over the weekend and noticed BUMP STOP perished, is this part of mot testing or do i need to remove them,

11. Techno

Not sure what you mean? air assisted suspension usually replaces the bump stops

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

having to adjust the LSV means the body has been either raised or lowered...more likely raised.

your headlamps will probably need adjusting for the different rear ride height.

cab adjustable headlamp aim should be MOT'd at the 0 position on the adjusting wheel/knob and cant be used to adjust the height for MOT

13. Techno

The idea is to set your van level under all conditions and thus the headlight aim should not be affected. It's important that if you use the system as a leveling aid on site that you open the valves to equalise the suspension and re adjust the pressure for the road and re close the valves to prevent side to side transfer of air.
    The BASIC air fill system cannot do this so the extra for the gauge/valve system illustrated is well worth it IMHO

14. sabconsulting

sabconsulting Read Only Funster

Thanks - I've just checked their web site - £411 does sound like a good price. £470 for my pick-up for the complete kit.

Steve.

15. pappajohn

if you need to adjust the LSV actuating rod then you have altered the rear ride height from what it was without assister's and so altered the headlamp beam height.

admittedly, once a 'level' ride height pressure is set, and the beams adjusted to suit, there is no need to readjust headlamp beam height again.

16. Techno

I really think that if the difference was significant it would be mentioned in the manufacturer installation instructions. At worst it will lower the headlight beam by the teeny weeniest amount and the effect of fully inflating the units will only point them down more so so not likely to fail an MOT or blind oncoming traffic.
    Point taken John but I'm not concerned

17. pappajohn

Fair comment....just pointing out a possible future pitfall....RE: MOT. :thumb:

18. veevee

veevee Funster

I have a suspicion that low headlamps are also an MoT failure, but not 100%.

19. B-well

B-well Funster

Hi all readers, my query was i have air suspension fitted which assisted the suspension however bump stops are still visible but somewhat perished.
    My question being if the bump stops are fitted do they play are part in the MOT , or do i remove them as the air suspension is fitted.
    regards

• Like Like x 1
  20. ci carioca

ci carioca Read Only Funster

air suspension kit dunlop

Hi There,
    what i'd like to know is ,does it make the ride noticably more comfortablefor passengers in rear travel seats?
    thanking you
    ci carioca:RollEyes: