Add two stroke oil to your diesel fuel (2 Viewers)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I always use 2 stroke oil to wash my A frame down before a trip. Don't you? ;)

You wash your own vehicle? :eek:

Surely you have the footman take it to the supermarket so the Eastern Europeans there can wash it?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I leave the gassing to the dogs. They are unfortunately quite good at it, though the spaniel does sneaky ones and walks away leaving the Jack Russell to shoulder the stinky blame.

I seem to remember after the queen Mother had let one go she used to kick one of the Corgi's to intimate blame, they got used to it and as soon as they could smell a right Royal Guff, they got up and legged it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As usual ........ blame it on the dogs.

I seem to remember after the queen Mother had let one go she used to kick one of the Corgi's to intimate blame, they got used to it and as soon as they could smell a right Royal Guff, they got up and legged it.

Clearly Royal prerogative, Peter.........(y)

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
I can almost hear the sharp intake of breath, the slow shake of the head, and the "you put what in the tank sir" of the garage mechanic when you take your pride and joy in with strange noises coming from under the bonnet, dark smoke emitting from the exhaust. Think I'll just stick to putting diesel, occasionally premium diesel into Toad Hall.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
2 stroke oil ! None . They were never designed to run on or burn the stuff. It's another daft internet theory .
The original diesel was designed to run, & still will do, on nearly anything.
(y)
Nowadays as you say things have changed, take a look at this video to see how much they have changed.(y)

They're petrol. :) Don't need the 2 stroke in them except for the smell.;)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The original diesel was designed to run, & still will do, on nearly anything.
(y)

I think the clue is the word "original" there.......

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
I read with interest about the 2 stroke oil mixture in with the diesel.
I wonder if anyone still uses Redex?
It's available for petrol or diesel and it recommends to use half a bottle per full tank.
Used it in a petrol car and in my medium mileage diesel car and it does improve mpg.
Had a new motorhome for a short while (long story :madder: ) so can't comment on new engines.
Diesel fuel has come on a bit ! My dad ran a taxi firm many years ago and I remember them adding petrol to stop the fuel waxing. Do that I a modern diesel and it would be catastrophic !
During the war
Not quite that old :roflmto:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I know that gl but what a demonstration of how to make new engines perform much better. Both diesel and petrol without adding 2 stroke.(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Possible on some diesels but not all... Time will come when removal of EGRs will mean MOT fail. Removing DPFs or any detectable emissions kit is an MOT fail anyway. Besides most EGRs are fairly easy to remove and strip/clean. It's those expensive DPS that are the big issue.
The problem with EGR is that it does what it says on the tin: it feeds filthy exhaust gas back into the engine. The EGR valve may be easy to clean but after an extended mileage the inlet manifold and inlet valves certainly are not. The reduction in inlet manifold diameter due to the build-up of oily carbon is dramatic and has a substantial effect on performance (again after extended mileage). Hopefully EGR will (maybe has been already) overtaken by the use of Adblue.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think the clue is the word "original" there.......

Mine's 'original'.:)

I know that gl but what a demonstration of how to make new engines perform much better. Both diesel and petrol without adding 2 stroke.(y)
It is amazing what a bit of chipping can do.
Yes, reminds me of the German in the RS4 pulled cruising around 140 on the M1 :LOL:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I seem to remember when I was in the RAF, during winter we used to put a couple of gallons of petrol in with the diesel, in the tractor to stop the diesel freezing. Wonder if that would still stand true today?
Don't think I would try it on a new diesel engine though.

Was a Regular Practice, with the older generation of "diesels". I too wouldn't want to try it on a new generation though! with all the Computer gismo stuff. it could seriously destroy something!. Happened to me my by accident in France 2003, started to put Petrol in the Chevy, (about 10 litre). Just topped right up with diesel. never made any difference, as far as I could ascertain?.

Pete

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Was a Regular Practice, with the older generation of "diesels". I too wouldn't want to try it on a new generation though! with all the Computer gismo stuff. it could seriously destroy something!. Happened to me my by accident in France 2003, started to put Petrol in the Chevy, (about 10 litre). Just topped right up with diesel. never made any difference, as far as I could ascertain?.

Pete
In 2003 the common rail engines were just emerging. It's the delicate seals in the extremely high pressure pumps that would be affected on the newer kit. You did it once by accident. But choosing to do it on a regular basis ? Not for me !

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
In 2003 the common rail engines were just emerging. It's the delicate seals in the extremely high pressure pumps that would be affected on the newer kit. You did it once by accident. But choosing to do it on a regular basis ? Not for me !

I agree, Fortunately Mine was a 6.2L Chevy. Design circa 1965 (ish)! They will run on Chip oil!!. I was talking to a Guy in Quartzite, (Arizona). who had run his on recycled Vegetable oil which he got from the likes of MacDonald`s etc;. for over 10 years!.

Pete

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I agree, Fortunately Mine was a 6.2L Chevy. Design circa 1965 (ish)! They will run on Chip oil!!. I was talking to a Guy in Quartzite, (Arizona). who had run his on recycled Vegetable oil which he got from the likes of MacDonald`s etc;. for over 10 years!.

Pete

Designed by Fred Flintstone . Will be around longer than dinosaurs ...

More than can be said for the emissions bogged down junk we have today .....

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
In the M-N, we ran the big Marine engines on Heavy Fuel. To get it to pump we had to heat the Double bottom tanks. To fire it needed 80dgrees C! before it went to the injector!.

When manoeuvring we had big clouds of Black smoke!!. wouldn't get away with it Now!!

Pete

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
In the M-N, we ran the big Marine engines on Heavy Fuel. To get it to pump we had to heat the Double bottom tanks. To fire it needed 80dgrees C! before it went to the injector!.

When manoeuvring we had big clouds of Black smoke!!. wouldn't get away with it Now!!

Pete
Still happens though, even though 0.5% sulphur diesel is used in the ECA's - it was really embarrassing on steamships when manoeuvring in the bad old days....... Full astern = guaranteed black smoke. Who were you with? I'm ex P&O but left in 84 but spent the last 31 years dealing with fuels and ships

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Still happens though, even though 0.5% sulphur diesel is used in the ECA's - it was really embarrassing on steamships when manoeuvring in the bad old days....... Full astern = guaranteed black smoke. Who were you with? I'm ex P&O but left in 84 but spent the last 31 years dealing with fuels and ships

Ellerman-Wilson, F C Strick / P&O GCD, Harrisons (Liverpool) Tor / Stenna. Went "Boiler Inspecting" in 81. Retired at 57. Did a "self build" Got bored, and went Truck driving on Agency!.
Pete

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
For all you oil burners out there, here is a gold plated tip.

Add about 500ml. to your fuel tank of two stroke oil when you fill up.

It then will help to clean the gunk out of the engine ports and generally improve the engine condition, but you have to continue doing it to feel the benefits.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming

It then will help to clean the gunk out of the engine ports and generally improve the engine condition, but you have to continue doing it to feel the benefits.
Hi there overcoming,
I'm watching this thread with some interest as I found the same topic on a totally different website earlier this year,It was the Freelancer website www.flash.2.com.there were over a 1,000 responses to this topic,you might like to check it out as it makes for good reading.Anyway I thought I'd give it a shot,and have bee adding 500mm.to every thankfully,my vehicle is a Hymer on a 2005 Sprinter,and after the first 3 thankfully there was a definite improvement in engine performance,I.e. it is definitely much smoother,and quieter,and acceleration seems smoother,fuel consumption has only improved by 2 mpg.I have been using Morrison's own brand at £2.per 500ml.however ,I am contemplating a 3month trip to Spain/Algarve in January and am considering stopping the adding of the 2Stroke,to see how it compares out there on a day to day basis as it should be somewhat easier to monitor performance etc, by using a thankfully on a daily basis,but as I said earlier I am watching this thread with interest,as this practice of adding 2stroke to dervish seems more widespread than it seems.gwyntaxi.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Who were you with? I'm ex P&O but left in 84
I know you weren't asking me David but reading brought back some memories..
I was with OCL...sailed on their bay class container ship.
Stal Laval Steam turbine plant...
Foster wheeler esd3 roof fired boilers... run on heavy oil which as Peter said required heating...
Cleaned and serviced the burners many times.. (the cadets got all the good jobs )..that and lapping in the valves on the Allen diesels for the alternators during strip down. .:LOL:
Happy days...
Ta Andy. .

Ian Scott

Free Member
Sep 10, 2017
Corbridge
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 412
Exp
7mths

1. It then will help to clean the gunk out of the engine ports and generally improve the engine condition, but you have to continue doing it to feel the benefits.
  1. s

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
It seems that I have stirred up a rats nest!!!
Yes you have. Have you got another ?
:D(y)

That was odd, that thread came up as recent? now displays 2015 ?? Too early for me :sleep:

Last edited:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
If I put Castol "R" in. Will it smell like my old Bultaco trials bike!!!!!!!
Not bothered about the cost, just the smell would take me back to my yoooof!
;););)

I occasionally put a capful in my bikes, love the nostalgic smell, I
f I could just replicate the frying bacon smell as well, I'd be back in the Snetterton paddock in the 60's. Heaven.

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
Going back a good few years now I had an Isuzu trooper 3.1 that I ran on heating oil, I added 2 stroke oil to keep the pump lubricated. Never had any problems, ran it for over 3 years. Heating oil supplier never could understand how I used so much oil during the summer:sneaky:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I think the F1 boffins have been reading this thread. :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun