Absolute Satellite Beginner

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Bacchus, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

I am almost embarassed to post this, but...

My old Hymer has two satellite dishes, but no TV or anything.

I have absolutely no idea how satellite TV works, would I be able to use either of these dishes? Why might it have two? what equipment would I need to get to receive Freesat - all on 12v at the mo, but am considering fitting an inverter, I know a little about those (c:

2. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

Hi Baccus.
    I assume your dishes are portable or is one mounted on the roof? Do you not have a receiver of any sort?.

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

stick with 12v for the receiver or just go with an avtex TV which runs on 12v and includes both terrestrial and sat decoders. Are the sat dishes manual or automatic, wind up or dome. I suspect one of each or no point of having two. a photo or two would help.

4. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Hi Old Soldier, the dishes are both roof mounted. All I have done with them for three years is collect moss...

There are handles inside the van for elevating and rotating them, but no, I have no equipment- my limit in this field is putting up a TV aerial on the house and connecting it to a freeview box...

5. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Hi Wildman

Dishes are both manual winders, I will get a couple of pics in the morning.

So I could just connect an "avtex" TV and plug the satellite into the back? As long as the satellite was aligned it would work like "normal" TV?

6. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

Sounds like Wildman might have the answer.

7. lorger

lorger Funster

Just a thought could one be for satellite internet, seen a van at Chester meet with two dishes and one was for Internet.

8. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

It's a 1991 van... It may have had satellite internet added of course. I will get some more useful details in the a.m

• Like Like x 1
  9. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I'm just wondering if they are actually both sat dishes.. to the uninitiated some campervan / caravan ariels look like sat dishes..

10. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

yes just make sure the model you get is DRS the "S" being satellite. just plug in align dish and away you go and uses under 2 amps so battery will last longer.

11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Before you spend any money, check that the dishes are for digital satellite reception. If they are old ones, they may have come from the analogue satellite era and no longer work. A picture will help identify this and you could do worse than make a call to Roadpro (or similar supplier) if you need technical advice.
    RoadPro | Practical Products on the Move

12. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Hi All, thanks for the advice thus far!

I have clambered up the back and taken a couple of photos, no idea whether they will help to identify. This is the main dish

Big Dish.jpg

this is the controller underneath

control.jpg

And this is the other dish; I am beginning to wonder whether this is just some kind of TV aerial...

Little Dish.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

Top is a Maxview crank up Satellite dish, and the lower one is a TV aerial. (y)
    As long as the dish feed cable and the LNB ( device on the end of the dish arm) are OK you should be able to set it up for a Satellite receiver or a TV with a built in receiver.

14. seanoo

seanoo Funster

first ones a maxview wind up dish for satelite tv and if pointed at astra 2 with an appropriate receiver will give you tv, the second is a tv/radio antenna for terrestrial services and will give you digital tv if you have a receiver for that.

15. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

woo-hoo - many thanks!!

I shall buy a TV and give it a go.

I quite like being away from the TV when I am with GF Bacchus, but will be heading off for a week or two solo and it would be a nice to have (c:

16. Hammie

Hammie Funster

I haven't got mine going yet either, are you the man who I met at Baker Tyres?

17. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Hi Hammie, sorry, not I. Never heard of Baker Tyres...

As an addendum to my post, I have also found this:-

Signal finder.jpg

Which I guess I just connect to the satellite output and wiggle the dish aorund until the green light comes on? No power supply, but presumably gets enough gain from the satellite cable.

And this:-

Booster.jpg

Which looks like some kind of signal booster.

An enterprising previous owner has put a dual switch system with a "main" switch inside the hanging locker and a microswitch on the overhead locker door, so with the main switch on, this box is activated when the locker door is opened.

Now, must get myself a telly... (I am not going to ask which one on here, that seems to be as divisive as "anchor" threads on a sailing forum I go on :whistle: )

18. Hammie

Hammie Funster

Baker tyres Thorpe lea road. Met a man from Warwick Avenue (truly) same campervan

19. Hammie

Hammie Funster

Have got maxview satelite as well thinking about maxview satellite Finder but it is £30 instead of £13? Other option is £9 on Amazon for another brand not sure which way to jump

20. Hammie

Hammie Funster

I love previous owners output, solar panel, awning, Safari room, satellite dish, love my new second home. Too much red nite nite