Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
I am almost embarassed to post this, but...

My old Hymer has two satellite dishes, but no TV or anything.

I have absolutely no idea how satellite TV works, would I be able to use either of these dishes? Why might it have two? what equipment would I need to get to receive Freesat - all on 12v at the mo, but am considering fitting an inverter, I know a little about those (c:

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi Baccus.
I assume your dishes are portable or is one mounted on the roof? Do you not have a receiver of any sort?.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
stick with 12v for the receiver or just go with an avtex TV which runs on 12v and includes both terrestrial and sat decoders. Are the sat dishes manual or automatic, wind up or dome. I suspect one of each or no point of having two. a photo or two would help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Hi Old Soldier, the dishes are both roof mounted. All I have done with them for three years is collect moss...

There are handles inside the van for elevating and rotating them, but no, I have no equipment- my limit in this field is putting up a TV aerial on the house and connecting it to a freeview box...

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
stick with 12v for the receiver or just go with an avtex TV which runs on 12v and includes both terrestrial and sat decoders. Are the sat dishes manual or automatic, wind up or dome. I suspect one of each or no point of having two. a photo or two would help.

Hi Wildman

Dishes are both manual winders, I will get a couple of pics in the morning.

So I could just connect an "avtex" TV and plug the satellite into the back? As long as the satellite was aligned it would work like "normal" TV?

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Sounds like Wildman might have the answer.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just a thought could one be for satellite internet, seen a van at Chester meet with two dishes and one was for Internet.

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Just a thought could one be for satellite internet, seen a van at Chester meet with two dishes and one was for Internet.

It's a 1991 van... It may have had satellite internet added of course. I will get some more useful details in the a.m

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I'm just wondering if they are actually both sat dishes.. to the uninitiated some campervan / caravan ariels look like sat dishes..

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Wildman

Dishes are both manual winders, I will get a couple of pics in the morning.

So I could just connect an "avtex" TV and plug the satellite into the back? As long as the satellite was aligned it would work like "normal" TV?
yes just make sure the model you get is DRS the "S" being satellite. just plug in align dish and away you go and uses under 2 amps so battery will last longer.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Before you spend any money, check that the dishes are for digital satellite reception. If they are old ones, they may have come from the analogue satellite era and no longer work. A picture will help identify this and you could do worse than make a call to Roadpro (or similar supplier) if you need technical advice.
RoadPro | Practical Products on the Move

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Hi All, thanks for the advice thus far!

I have clambered up the back and taken a couple of photos, no idea whether they will help to identify. This is the main dish

Big Dish.jpg

this is the controller underneath

control.jpg

And this is the other dish; I am beginning to wonder whether this is just some kind of TV aerial...

Little Dish.jpg

Attachments

• control.jpg
    control.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 4
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Top is a Maxview crank up Satellite dish, and the lower one is a TV aerial. (y)
As long as the dish feed cable and the LNB ( device on the end of the dish arm) are OK you should be able to set it up for a Satellite receiver or a TV with a built in receiver.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
first ones a maxview wind up dish for satelite tv and if pointed at astra 2 with an appropriate receiver will give you tv, the second is a tv/radio antenna for terrestrial services and will give you digital tv if you have a receiver for that.

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
woo-hoo - many thanks!!

I shall buy a TV and give it a go.

I quite like being away from the TV when I am with GF Bacchus, but will be heading off for a week or two solo and it would be a nice to have (c:

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I am almost embarassed to post this, but...

My old Hymer has two satellite dishes, but no TV or anything.

I have absolutely no idea how satellite TV works, would I be able to use either of these dishes? Why might it have two? what equipment would I need to get to receive Freesat - all on 12v at the mo, but am considering fitting an inverter, I know a little about those (c:
I haven't got mine going yet either, are you the man who I met at Baker Tyres?

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
I haven't got mine going yet either, are you the man who I met at Baker Tyres?

Hi Hammie, sorry, not I. Never heard of Baker Tyres...

As an addendum to my post, I have also found this:-

Signal finder.jpg

Which I guess I just connect to the satellite output and wiggle the dish aorund until the green light comes on? No power supply, but presumably gets enough gain from the satellite cable.

And this:-

Booster.jpg

Which looks like some kind of signal booster.

An enterprising previous owner has put a dual switch system with a "main" switch inside the hanging locker and a microswitch on the overhead locker door, so with the main switch on, this box is activated when the locker door is opened.

Now, must get myself a telly... (I am not going to ask which one on here, that seems to be as divisive as "anchor" threads on a sailing forum I go on :whistle: )

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Baker tyres Thorpe lea road. Met a man from Warwick Avenue (truly) same campervan

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Have got maxview satelite as well thinking about maxview satellite Finder but it is £30 instead of £13? Other option is £9 on Amazon for another brand not sure which way to jump

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I love previous owners output, solar panel, awning, Safari room, satellite dish, love my new second home. Too much red nite nite

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Baker tyres Thorpe lea road. Met a man from Warwick Avenue (truly) same campervan
Oh that Baker Tyres...

Amazing. A few hundred metres from my house, but no, not me!

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Good for tyres and they were inflating mine and the other mans before a trip. Where do you go to inflate yours?

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
"Where do you go to inflate yours?" - weirdly, in three years of ownership, I have never had to!!

Rooky Vanner

Free Member
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Hi
I have a maxview satellite finder and it is the only way I can ever find the things, love it! Wait until it screams its head off, annoys everyone on site and you will be sure of a picture. Tried loads of others cheaper to no avail.
Good luck, took me weeks to see a pic!! but thats me!!

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Ha ha thanks. Me too. Will order it now. Mary

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
"Where do you go to inflate yours?" - weirdly, in three years of ownership, I have never had to!!
Won't you damage your tyres? We just give them a £5 tip before a trip at least that's what the man with the same Motorhome as you told me he did. I am worried that the tyres might crack if they get low? Expensive tyres. They said it can't be done in a garage as the compressors are too small.

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
. They said it can't be done in a garage as the compressors are too small.

Never tried it, mine run at around 70psi, I would imagine that most garage compressors will run to that but you're right, it would be a good idea to be sure.

Mine haven't lost any pressure, so haven't pumped them up

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Amazing lucky you!

Join us or log in to post a reply.