Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Triango CI Cipro55
Exp
3 years
i am a bit confused I have been informed repeatedly that I cannot use an a frame in Spain but I am here at the Lincoln show and have talked to six people who use one and have done for lots of time and never had a problem in Spain one even stopping to ask police for directions can I or can't I use a a frame will I or will not be stopped do I just take a chance does the declaration ofCE conformity make any difference ?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
The following has been copied from a Spanish police web site.

Following frequent questions regarding the possibility of a motorhome towing a car, this possibility is prohibited in Article 9.3 of the Reglamento General de Vehículos whic prohibits the movement of a motor vehicle towing another, unless there is an immediate risk of damage or injury and it cannot be dragged by another specifically for that purpose, in which case it is allowed only to the nearest place where it will not hinder traffic movement and provided that it is not on a motorway.

OP
OP
jordano

jordano

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Triango CI Cipro55
Exp
3 years
So I guess the people who have used one in Spain have just been lucky not to be stopped I've lady I talked to and is connected to the motorhome Chanel on TVs has used hers to pull a smart car to taraggona in Spain for the last 12 years

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I don't tow a car now but I never took it to Spain when I used to tow , as Lynne does not drive if I was told to unhook it I would of been stuffed not forgetting the fine .

I no people when they get to the Spanish border they unhook the car and drive the car to where they are going to in Spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jordano

jordano

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Triango CI Cipro55
Exp
3 years
Just talked to a guy called Ken Rose agent for Car-A-Tow that there product is classed as a trailer and conform to any Spanish legalities and will provide a translation of this fact

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
So I guess the people who have used one in Spain have just been lucky not to be stopped I've lady I talked to and is connected to the motorhome Chanel on TVs has used hers to pull a smart car to taraggona in Spain for the last 12 years

They have been very lucky not being stopped , fined and made to uncouple .
I've heard the bragging before from the minority who think the rules do not apply to them .
The Spanish do not tolerate them , end of .
If a car is that important you can hire one for reasonable cost .

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014
Just talked to a guy called Ken Rose agent for Car-A-Tow that there product is classed as a trailer and conform to any Spanish legalities and will provide a translation of this fact

Ken Rose (I assume) will not be in the 'van when you get stopped, fined, told to unhitch and to go on your way.

Unless you are comfortable with arguing with a Police Officer in Spain in Spanish and prepared to be arrested, get kept overnight for the next Magistrate (or similar) then ignore what well versed members on here will confirm, then fine,(no pun), buy this A frame at vast expense and carry on.
If you have a ounce or metric equivalent of CS, buy a trailer and do not use an A Frame in Spain.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp

I would ask them for assurance that they will pay any fines incurred and any other costs if your stopped .
The Traffico are not interested in any translation that you may show them but if you fancy arguing with them on the side of the road , rather you than me

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Just talked to a guy called Ken Rose agent for Car-A-Tow that there product is classed as a trailer and conform to any Spanish legalities and will provide a translation of this fact[/QUOT

Does it keep all four wheels off the road, if no go call him a great big fibbing salesman

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not worth the paper it's written on...Will he also pay your on the spot fine and recover your toad out of Spain if you are a sole driver.
Of course he won't.

The following has been copied from a Spanish police web site.

Following frequent questions regarding the possibility of a motorhome towing a car, this possibility is prohibited in Article 9.3 of the Reglamento General de Vehículos whic prohibits the movement of a motor vehicle towing another, unless there is an immediate risk of damage or injury and it cannot be dragged by another specifically for that purpose, in which case it is allowed only to the nearest place where it will not hinder traffic movement and provided that it is not on a motorway.

A frames are illegal in Spain as above...end of.
Germany and France are slowly heading the same way.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

"Any Spanish legalities"

Hmmmm

Smells like typical salesman BS to me.

Ask him for the specific laws and exactly how his product complies.

As has been said already whatever nonsense he cons you into believing won't get you anywhere when the Trafficos decide to fine you. You will be paying them if you want to continue your journey.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I have had a house in Spain for over 12 years and I know that trying to tell a Spanish policeman that it allowed in the UK and that means it is allowed in Europe, is like trying to sell an ice cube in Iceland (the country) Forget it.

AN "A" FRAME IS NOT......REPEAT, NOT LEGAL IN SPAIN!!

Now, back to my beer :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have had a house in Spain for over 12 years and I know that trying to tell a Spanish policeman that it allowed in the UK and that means it is allowed in Europe, is like trying to sell an ice cube in Iceland (the country) Forget it.

AN "A" FRAME IS NOT......REPEAT, NOT LEGAL IN SPAIN!!

Now, back to my beer :)
Spot on......

We will however continue to use ours in U.K. We have it here at Lincoln, in fact.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I'm not sure if some people have quite grasped the actual issue with regard to Spanish national road traffic law.
The issue is that it is, and always has been here in Spain, illegal to tow a road vehicle (car van lorry bus etc) with another road vehicle on any public road.
It matters not whether the tool used for towing is a rope, a bar, or an Aframe. It is the act of towing a car with your Motorhome that's illegal.
Some people will get away with doing so, just as some get away with speeding or drink driving or any other illegal acts whilst driving. But the fine and inconvenience if caught and instructed to decouple and continue only as the 2 separate road vehicles that you plainly are under Spanish law, is a big big risk. Even bigger I assume is the implications in the event of any accident when both the Spanish Trafico Police and your insurers both realise youwere driving illegally at the time.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
There's not a lot of difference in cost of buying a trailer. To buying an Aframe and all the kit that goes with it.
Buy a trailer it's not worth the hassle to Aframe.

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
There's not a lot of difference in cost of buying a trailer. To buying an Aframe and all the kit that goes with it.
Buy a trailer it's not worth the hassle to Aframe.
True, but we would need a big trailer for the car (Fiesta) - plus there is nowhere to store it at home. This, combined with the fact that we will never tour abroad with the car/motorhome means the A frame is ideal for us.

Horses for courses really. There are no rights or wrongs in UK, just different paths......

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You are going as usual to get two camps here.... Those who for some inexplicable reason don't like A frames so love to criticise. Those who use them who will of course defend.
Now me I'm a user. Not worried to much about getting my collar felt especially over a minor infringement and being an old git realise life's full of risks and chances.

Technically it's not legal to use an A frame in Spain. But the chances of a prosecution is actually very very small indeed. But yes it's possible.

So it's a wee gamble. Think about it and think about the small penalty IF you get a pull. Personally I don't give a monkeys I really don't. Europe is huge and for me if I want to eliminate the tiny risk then I won't go to Spain.

We can worry ourselves to death over just about anything. Bugger it just go and enjoy.

Now where did I leave my pith helmet ????

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Excellent! Clarification...

If you like your a-frame it's okay to tow in Spain.

And if you don't see the point of a-frames or tow cars you are sure everyone will be prosecuted as they cross the border.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
You are going as usual to get two camps here.... Those who for some inexplicable reason don't like A frames so love to criticise. Those who use them who will of course defend.
Now me I'm a user. Not worried to much about getting my collar felt especially over a minor infringement and being an old git realise life's full of risks and chances.

Technically it's not legal to use an A frame in Spain. But the chances of a prosecution is actually very very small indeed. But yes it's possible.

So it's a wee gamble. Think about it and think about the small penalty IF you get a pull. Personally I don't give a monkeys I really don't. Europe is huge and for me if I want to eliminate the tiny risk then I won't go to Spain.

We can worry ourselves to death over just about anything. Bugger it just go and enjoy.

Now where did I leave my pith helmet ????

And the risk of being stopped and fined is small ? How can you be so sure of that

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It won't be a prosecution. It will be an on the spot fine by the Trafficos, of whatever amount they feel like charging you, and you will not be continuing your journey, or going anywhere else other than a cashpoint, until you pay them.

If anyone thinks they are likely to win an argument with Trafficos at the side of the road then go for it. If you piss them off then theres every chance they would impound both your vehicles just for fun.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Excellent! Clarification...

If you like your a-frame it's okay to tow in Spain.

And if you don't see the point of a-frames or tow cars you are sure everyone will be prosecuted as they cross the border.

Quite......

So "the rule of law should apply to everyone else but me in any country I visit", is actually being argued as valid philosophy?

And the risk of being stopped and fined is small ? How can you be so sure of that

Does it really matter? If a person wants to manage their own risk then ok. It does not impact on others so let's not make a song and dance about it........ (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back