A Cautionary tale

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by keith, Apr 23, 2012.

1. keith

keith Funster

On our recent return from Portugal we experience a disturbing occurrence which may be a warning to others.

It was a quiet Sunday morning when we left Soa Domingos near the copper mines, and we had a very good drive North up the N122.
    Then a car passed us with hazards flashing and slowed down indicating we should stop.
    Remembering all we had learned, I overtook and kept going while checking rear view camera and mirrors to see if anything could be wrong. All seemed OK and the car passed us and accelerated away.
    I have no way of knowing the intention of the driver but decided not to take a chance and stop. I did stop to check once we were in a built up area and all was well.
    We thought travelling on a quiet Sunday morning would be good but maybe not a good idea on quiet roads.
    I am relieved we had no further cause for concern and soon we were close to a larger town and the offending car did not re-appear.
    I am now considering one of the in car cameras that can record these type of incidents and although not much of a deterrent you can check afterwards and I suppose report the incident if you felt like it.
    Be careful out there and don't trust anyone.

• Like Like x 9
  2. JJ

JJ Funster

Well done for keeping safe and thank you for the heads up... :thumb:

Please keep Sao Domingos quiet... :Wink: I don't want to arrive there on our August holiday tour and find it packed with noisy, partying Funsters...:Rofl1::Rofl1:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

wise and timely advise :thumb:

could save someone getting robbed or worse.

4. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Always worth a reminder, first hand and not from someone who heard from someone else. Often wondered if it really happens. thank you :thumb:

5. keith

keith Funster

Actually JJ there is a sign saying no autocaravanners but we took this to be applicable to high season, so you may find a change in the summer. Not heard of anyone being moved off last winter.

6. JJ

JJ Funster

I am guessing you are referring to the car-park for the cafe/beach... I looked there (there were two other vans overnighting) but then drove around to the far side of the lake... parked by the water's edge. No problems at all (June/July) and several other vans, caravans and tenters came and went during my stay... Frankie and I hope to spend some time there this August and if the idea of the rolling, off-site Funster meet becomes reality it would be on the list for a visit... :Wink:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  7. andley

andley

safe

Glad your safe Keith and Jean, thanks for that I will pass it on to our campers. Take care x x

8. wander

wander Read Only Funster

QUOTE:I am now considering one of the in car cameras that can record these type of incidents and although not much of a deterrent you can check afterwards and I suppose report the incident if you felt like it.

I purchased one of those cameras off the internet for less than £20 and I would say well worth it. It's not going to provide complete safety but once anyone sees you have it, its got to be a deterrent!

• Like Like x 1