90 Days in Turkey Spring 2022 (1 Viewer)

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
I’m really enjoying reading about your Turkey travels and your great writing style. Good luck with the apartment I hope it all works out.

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 148
Sunday 3rd April
Good morning!
A grey start to the day but today's temperature will be 22C 😀
We were both up by 7am, Wendy first but no dogs to blame!
This afternoon we're going to a BBQ at Calis beach, proceeds go to the charity responsible for all the stray animals in the district.
It will be good to meet other expats and find out about other social activities in the area.

Day 148
A good night's sleep and a much more reasonable wake up time - 6.30am - that feels better!
The sky was quite overcast again and still no view of the mountains across from us, just grey cloud concealing them. The man who was cleaning the pool yesterday arrived and started on the clean up process again. We hadn't expected him as it was Sunday!
I tackled the ironing and after a while managed to find the right setting without melting my blouse - I hate using other people's irons, you can cause a lot of damage in the space of a couple of seconds while you get it right!
We were going to a BBQ today, a fundraiser for the local dogs charity, organised by the Fethiye Ex-Pats. So, after repeatedly telling our street dog that she wasn't coming with us we set off for the beach. The dog took a lot of convincing and every time John turned round she was there, just a few yards behind us.
We knew it would be about a 45 minute walk but it was good to stretch our legs as well as find out what was around our general area. I was surprised at how many camping sites there were, it was almost non-stop!
The sun had come through the clouds by this point so it was hot going. A few dogs came to see if we were receptive to their charms - NO! There wasn't a lot of shade - but plenty of tall bamboo making that lovely soughing sound as the breeze stirred them.
Several cars and motor-scooters passed us until we reached a point where the barriers narrowed and prevented the cars from proceeding.
John's keen to get one of the three wheeled trikes for us to "tootle about on" when we need to get shopping etc. so we need to be aware that their width will need to be taken into account on some routes.
I quite fancy a two-tone pink and purple one with those colourful little streamers that dangle from the hand grips and fly in the wind! Somehow - I think that John will tell me it's too "My Little Pony" and not enough "Giacomo Agostini"!
Several restaurants are open along the road and we take the opportunity to read some of the menu's displayed outside, for future reference. There's quite a variety of different dishes and all at reasonable prices. We'll have to try some and see which are the best!
Eventually we spot the beach walk in the distance along with some market shops and stop at the first bar for a refreshing Coca Cola while we get our breath back. There's a lovely breeze coming off of the sea and it's made the water choppy and the ever present palm trees shake their branches as if dancing.
The esplanade is busy with walkers of all ages, and we see one elderly lady being pushed along in her wheelchair. Her hair is blown around by the wind and she lifts her face to the sunshine, eyes closed, smiling gently. A simple pleasure, much enjoyed.
Eventually we find the venue we're looking for. It's very busy with it's supporters all chatting and greeting each other. We manage to get a couple of seats and John buys some raffle tickets to add to the fundraising money.
It's a nice little venue, with a children's play area to the back to keep them busy but still safely in view while parents relax with a drink!
The BBQ food is soon ready and we queue to get chicken and koftas plus a fantastic array of different salads to choose from! The only down side for us was that our meats were very well cooked on the outside but still raw on the inside - so inedible.
I bumped into one poor lady in the toilets who had dropped a piece of chicken on her trouser leg - leaving a big grease stain. Soap and water wasn't helping remove it - I'm hoping the alcohol wipe I gave her helped!
The raffle had been very well supported and was a big hit with everyone. We hope that enough funds were raised to give the charity a boost! The music was good too - then we realised the DJ was our neighbour - Alex! I gather it's a regular job for him.
I was beginning to flag by this time so we made our way along the road to the taxi rank and treated ourselves to a ride back home.
The mountains are still shrouded in mist when we get back - maybe tomorrow will be better. Not long until the pool's ready too, I hope! Come on sunshine!!

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 149
Monday 4th April
Good morning
Another grey, chilly start to the day but temperatures to reach 23C by mid afternoon.
After working all weekend the builders across the road haven't turned up yet, perhaps a well earned rest day?
More washing on the go and still a few items on our shopping list to locate so we'll be off in Dippy soon.

Day 149
It could have been a disastrous day! Last night, I used the last page of my last notebook!! Luckily, John came to my rescue and found a stationers online that was only a short distance away. Dippy could do with a run anyway so off we went.
We'd woken to another grey day, and still no view of the mountains across from us - just a grey blur. It was chilly as we set off but the forecast was for hot and sunny later.
The stationery shop was found fairly easily and I was soon doing my best not to get distracted in the lovely shop with shelves full of all sorts of things that I could have spent hours exploring! I'm a born browser!
I soon found I was spoilt for choice! I use an A6 for my "carry round" notebooks as they fit into a pocket easily, but my hands itched to scoop up lots of other choices too!
A4 is perfect for big projects but my especial love is a spiral bound shorthand pad - not that I can do shorthand anymore but it's just the perfect size for notetaking!
I managed to be restrained and only buy 4 (I can always come back!) I kept my eyes turned resolutely to the front as I passed the pen section and headed to the door to ask John for some cash! The elderly gentleman sitting in the sunshine watched John's look of resignation as he took his wallet out and then grinned at John and rolled his eyes! Women - his face said it all!
We set off to get the other bits and pieces we needed and cast a wary eye over some sheep standing on the pavement - I think they were practising their green cross code as they started to cross as we went past them.
A little further on we passed a man speeding along the D400 on a motorbike - clutching a pink bicycle in his left hand! I think it's going to be one of those days!
The next thing on our list was reclining sun loungers. We need the type that can be folded as flat as possible so that we can carry them in Dippy's storage locker when we travel so this has been a bit more difficult than we'd thought it would be. Mostly, they've been the solid ones that you find surrounding a swimming pool - they stack, but they don't fold.
We'd had a recommendation for a place - and there they were, just the type we wanted! We tried them for size, and the assistant showed us how to recline them, and how to fold them - or he would have if the one on display hadn't been broken. Luckily, he had 2 more in stock that were good to go.
We'd not driven very far when I spotted a woodworking shop - with a small wooden coffee table outside on the pavement. We'd looked for what we could use that was small enough to not be in the way, but big enough to do the job - even considering a small plastic step stool when we didn't find what we wanted at first. This fitted the description!
We added some meat from a good butchers, a water bowl for the stray dog and a quick trot around Migros for a couple of bits and headed for home again. John had soon set up the recliners on the balcony in the sunshine - perfect!
After a coffee and some water, John suggested we go for a walk. Driving around all the time means our joints have been suffering a bit, and we used to do a lot of walking before this trip and are very much out of practise.
We walked past the Turkish Delight factory near us and could smell the sugar in the air. I wondered out loud if they gave away free samples - John snorted at me!
We found our way to the Angel Cafe and Bar and enjoyed a cold drink, we were the only people there at this point but then a few other people turned up - some residents and their visiting family.
One of the ladies in the group chatted to us about the area and gave us some useful tips and recommendations- Thank you!
We sat and enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere before heading back to check our mailbox - our permits should be arriving any day now! Nothing there however - maybe tomorrow.
I'm sat on the sofa with a coffee and my new notebook when something catches my eye through the window. I turn to look - nothing there.
I go back to what I was doing and it happens again - still nothing there! I'm beginning to wonder if I'm hallucinating.
The third time it happens I'm quicker and I see it! A white goat is sticking it's head out of the rusty and disused industrial sized greenhouse to our left and a second goat is tackling the mound of discarded soil from the new buildings that are being erected!
Unfortunately, they're both tethered and the 2nd goat - hereafter known as "Sir Edmund Hillary" doesn't succeed in planting his version of his national flag atop the goat version of Mount Everest while "Sherpa Tensing" (1st goat) eggs him on with loud bleating!
The bleating sets the dogs off barking hysterically which adds to the confusion and the builders stop momentarily to see what all the fuss is about, then carry on as if it's all normal - which it probably is!
While I'm jotting all this in my brand new notebook - swallows are swooping across the front of us, balancing now and then on the wires and then shooting upwards as they catch insects. Hedge Sparrows are swooping in and out of bushes, Hooded Crows are along every roadside.
I know we have bats here too, as I see them in the evenings as the light slowly goes. My funny hearing tells me when they're around even before I spot them, and I wish my youngest daughter was here to tell me which ones they are.
So many plants here are recognisable as growing in UK too, Gazanias, Broom, Pansies, Roses, Poppies etc etc- I wish that we could grow oranges and lemons in our gardens in UK too - it still seems strange to me to see them all over the place here. Strange - and wonderful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 150
Tuesday 5th April
Good morning!
The sun has got his hat on and is peeping through the grey cloud.
Temperature set to be 25C this afternoon!
We're off for our first visit to the Tuesday market this morning and I'll spend the rest of the day trying to stay in the shade!

Day 150
150 days away on our trip - how did that happen? It's gone amazingly quickly and every day has been enjoyable - hair-raising at times - but enjoyable!
I was having a much better night's sleep last night - until something set the dog off, that is. I have no idea what it was all about, but one minute I was asleep and the next I was woken by ferocious barking and the clatter of paws bounding down the stairs, skidding on the marble floors as he tried to keep his footing.
From the sound of it, he'd been sleeping outside our door! He raced off into the night, hotly pursued by the other dogs while I called him every name under the sun - I was NOT impressed!
Some time later I gave up trying to get back to sleep and went into the living room and read. It was still dark outside but I refused to add insult to injury by looking at my phone to see what time it was.
Today started off with a cool breeze and cloudy skies. Still no sign of the mountain across from us, just a faint shadow to prove that it's not been stolen away in the night.
Shortly after John woke up a couple of cement mixers arrived for the houses being built opposite us. Their slowly rotating drums are quite hypnotic - especially when you're suffering from sleep deprivation!
John went and asked if they needed him to move Dippy so as to give them better reversing access to the site but they were confident they didn't need it. However, my heart was in my mouth as I watched them slip past her with not a great deal of room to spare!
A truck had bounced and clattered it's way past our building a while ago and went along the track to the fields just out of sight of us. It trundled out again - loaded with Aubergines, their purpley black skins shining in the brightening sun.
One bounced out of the truck and was seized by the dog - it was discovered later concealed under Dippy's rear end, where the dog lays in the shade waiting for John!
After breakfast we decided to investigate the closest of our small market shops. As we left, the topsoil delivered yesterday was being scattered in the newly levelled beds and the plants were being positioned ready for planting later. The air was filled with the rich aroma of fresh turned soil. It was a hive of activity!
As we started down the road something caught the corner of my eye - rearing up and then collapsing to the ground as if dead! My heart skipped a beat and I grabbed John's hand in alarm as I thought it was Sherpa Tensing - the goat from yesterday, having a heart attack - but it was only some bunched up plastic sheeting caught by the breeze and then settling back to earth! I explained rather sheepishly (or should that be goatishly?) to John, who just looked at me, shook his head, sighed, and carried on.
The sun was warming up and it was a pleasant walk but a lot shorter than expected - we found there was one closer to us than the one we'd spotted a few days ago, so decided to try this one first and the other one another day.
This shop was a lot smaller - but still bore investigating. An elderly lady appeared from the back room when we entered, wishing us a friendly good morning and welcoming us in with waves of her hand.
We scooped up the vegetables that were our prime objective ready for tonight's tea and then spotted a freezer full of ice cream and lollies. We treated ourselves to a Magnum each, worrying a little that they might melt before we got back.
The solution of course - was to eat them straight away, so we unwrapped them and set off back to the apartment. We attempted to bite into them but - the lollies were tooth breakingly frozen! It took about 10 minutes before we could make any headway.
We arrived back just as the lollies were finished - so good timing. The sun loungers beckoned us invitingly from the balcony so we bit the bullet and forced ourselves to give them a try! The sun was in and then out but the air temperature was pleasantly warm so we relaxed and enjoyed it for a while - we could get used to this!
We arrived to find everyone hard at it and a delightful little girl of about 2 "helping" with fetching and carrying and collecting stones - she's an absolute joy to watch!
Up on our balcony we watch as the swifts swoop in and out of the nest attached to a nearby house, the rest of the flock are swooping above us, closely resembling a dog fight between English and German planes in WWII.
My attention is distracted away from them by a rumbling sound as a rotavator appears from the direction of the Aubergine field. It's trundled onto the newly top-soiled beds and churns it all together. Bedding plants have been set into small concrete blocks around the pool area and it's all looking very decorative.
A young couple draw up in a car at the building site opposite and park up. They wander along the frontage, pointing and taking photos - possibly our new neighbours if we're still here when the house are finished.
It's nearing the end of the day and down below us the paths are being swept and then hosed down. It's all looking great!
John is testing the oven with a roast chicken and potatoes dinner - the smell wafts out to me and makes my tummy rumble! I tell him it's smelling good - his reaction? He's worried that the dog - the one that woke me early this morning - might be upset that it's getting chicken instead of the lamb it was treated to yesterday! MEN!!!

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 151
Wednesday 6th April
Good morning!
A beautiful start to the day but still can't see the mountains clearly.
24C forecast today 😃
This morning I noticed that I'd run out of one of my pills and had too many of another so a visit to a pharmacy is on the agenda.
The exceedingly high inflation rate is causing many problems for residents of Turkey! 🥺

Day 151
A much better night's sleep, thank goodness and woke to the sun just beginning to clear the hills to our left.
Still no sign of the mountain in front of us apart from a grey haze that's been there for the last few days but the breeze is waving the palm trees fronds so it may push the haze away later.
The chickens are clucking to announce they've laid this morning's eggs and the dogs haven't put in an appearance yet. The occasional car speeds past the road across the field but it's still a little early for much traffic.
A leisurely breakfast is the first order of the day while retrieving emails. I also have a message from one of my Australian cousins, always good to receive news from overseas!
Some of the goats are led along the road and tethered to graze the vegetation along the verge. I look to see if it's Sir Edmund or Sherpa Tensing but it's not them today.
It's the turn of a black Nanny goat with two brown kids who gambol along beside her, followed by a white Nanny goat and her white kid and a Ewe and her lamb. They set to work on their breakfast as I finish mine.
The sun has some warmth in it now and I settle back to read some old diary entries from years ago, before I met John and we embarked on this trip.
As today is a quiet day for us I thought I'd add this excerpt from my trip to Tobago in the hope that you like it.
"I was lucky enough to go to Tobago for a few days in 2012. A small jewel of an island in the stunning setting of the Caribbean, Tobago is a top Eco-Tourist destination 35kms from it’s bigger and more well known sister, Trinidad.
The people were very friendly and keen to interact with us tourists, not just to hawk the obligatory shell and braid bracelets, sarongs and the offers to braid your hair “Tobago style, missus” but full of local Bar and tourist spot info too!
We explored sugar mill and slave house ruins, some were more accessible than others, a tumbledown testament to the island’s slave-based sugar industry during the 1700’s when it was introduced by the Dutch.
We spent a day scrambling over the tumbled rock and mud huts all overgrown with vegetation and deeply shadowed by the overhanging trees. The atmosphere is almost overwhelming in it’s intensity, deepened by the sight of rusted ankle chains still attached to some of the mud walls.
On a sightseeing drive we encountered a local man hitch-hiking and gave him a lift. He asked us if we'd been to Rainbow Falls and when we told him we hadn't, he offered to show us. Not an opportunity to miss!
We were directed to a point where we could park up and then taken through a mass of vegetation designed to get you completely and utterly lost! At one point our guide pointed to some fallen trees over a river and asked me dubiously if I was too old to climb over them!
A scathing look from me told him the answer to that one! I won't say it was easy - but it was done without damage to me or to my precious camera!
Part of it involved walking along a 15ft section that was no more than 6 inches wide so I was very pleased with myself when I reached the other side.
As I stepped off of it and onto the riverbank he grasped my hand firmly and told me to stand still. I froze, and looked down, to see a snake slither past my foot!
Without moving my feet I calmly aimed my camera downwards and took the snake's photo! The guide hissed through his teeth at this. "Respect madam" he grinned!
The Falls were well worth the adventure of reaching them, and although I'm no swimmer, I was able to paddle around the cool water and take photos - the best one was of the guide leaping from the top of the falls into the pool at the bottom!
We set off back to our holiday apartment and as we rounded a bend we drove into an absolute wall of sound! The local High School were outside having after-school music practise - a Caribbean Steel Band!
It was amazing and we pulled over to watch them. The joy on their faces as they played was entrancing! They told us they were getting ready for the Carnival - we heard a week later that they'd won a prize! Well Done!"
I hope you enjoyed this excerpt - even though it had nothing to do with Turkey - or a Motorhome!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Great Post,,,glad your settling in your new apartment..Always enjoy happy travel threads of people who are not forever moaning..BUSBY.

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 152
Thursday 7th April
Good morning!
A warm start I can just see the surrounding mountains through the haze. The forecast is 27C with a chance of showers.
Both up bright and early.
I took the rubbish to the bin and it hasn't been emptied! Throughout our stay in Turkey the bins have been emptied most nights.
Our residency permits still haven't arrived so no travels just yet.
I think today will be a mixture of sun loungers, keeping dry and the odd foray exploring our local area.

Day 152
Woke to a brisk wind today, and likely to worsen later, so I gather. Grey skies and complete cloud cover - not even the tiniest glimpse of sun.
It would have been my Mum's birthday today and I often wonder what she would have made of my travels. She had a couple of overseas holidays during her lifetime but the travel bug never really bit her!
John had suggested we go and explore the big Mall he'd read about, today. So we armed ourselves with the list of bits and pieces we needed to source and went and woke Dippy up.
One of the roads we use to reach town is very narrow, running partly between polytunnels. It's generally busy and as we pulled over to let a van through, something above caught my eye.
We're next to a mosque and on the top of the dome is a stork's nest! The resident stork is standing upright in the nest fluttering it's outstretched wings, beak clacking at the sky.
We reach town and cruise along the main streets. We weren't too sure about parking - Dippy needs quite a bit of space obviously, but we managed to find a nice large space, fairly easily, close to where we needed to be.
The Mall was certainly big enough to impress! All in all a comprehensive array of shops. A lot of clothes shops - good having so many close together as you can get an idea of the price comparisons.
I had a look around one of the computer sales shops - my laptop has stopped working and I'm tossing up whether to spend money trying to get it repaired - or just buy a new one. As it's only 3 years old I feel it ought to be repaired as the cheaper option.
The Mall wasn't as busy as I was expecting it to be - not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing? The streets outside were very busy though and we drifted along to a cafe for a cold drink - the sun was out now and the temperature had rocketed.
The electrical goods shops were a draw for John, he's looking at whether he replace a particular coffee machine we had to leave behind in England - the debate is ongoing!
We ran out of shade, so decided to call it a day and headed back to Dippy. As we turned down a street there were parents collecting small children from school. One Mum was astride her motor scooter, waiting as her young daughter skipped towards her.
The little girl stopped suddenly and ran back a few steps, the Mum calling out impatiently to her. The child bent down and plucked a yellow flower from the grass, running back to Mum with her hand outstretched, a big smile on her face.
Mum gathers her into her arms and hugs her - moments like this are so precious. That memory will be stored away and stay with her for ever.
We set off for the next set of shops to fulfil the list when John realises we're almost out of fuel! A quick re-route is in order and we make it with 3 litres left in her tank! She was a very thirsty vehicle!
We decide to abandon the rest of the shopping for another day and head back. As we turn into our road John points out to me the massive building where they make boats - the front of the unit is open and the prow of a boat fills our view. Stunning!
The hot sunshine from earlier in town has now been replaced with heavy grey skies and a fierce wind and we retreat inside as the wind stirs up great clouds of dust and swirls them across the balcony.
By 7pm the wind is strong enough to send the sun loungers careering across the balcony so John collapses them and lays them down while I rescue the parasol and bring it inside. The dust is covering everything and I can envisage a major clean up on the cards for tomorrow!
While we eat, the wind dies down, but within half an hour it's back and rattling everything not nailed down - earplugs in tonight I think!

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 153
Friday 8th April
Good morning
I nearly forgot to post!
We were up bright and early and decided to visit the Friday farmers market, more on that from Wendy ce soir.
We survived the shopping trip and have stopped for brunch at our favourite down town cafe , bar and restaurant Limon H2O.
Hoping for dinner at our local, Angel cafe and bar. There's a theme developing here isn't there 🤣
It's weekend enjoy it! 🙂

Day 153
A new experience for us today - we used the Dolmus (local bus) to get us into Town. It involved quite a walk from here to the bus station as we weren't entirely sure where to start from, but once we got there it was all relatively easy.
The driver allowed us onboard although we had to wait for set off time - about 10 minutes. Once we started John was able to use his card at the machine behind the driver's head to buy the tickets.
Subsequent people got on and paid cash to the driver, who then reached up and over his right shoulder to tap the machine to register the ticket purchase.
An elderly man tried to manouevre his wheelchair bound wife through the doorway and up the high step - the driver was immediately out of his seat and helping him to lift it onboard.
Subsequent passengers who joined us sat down and then passed their fare money forward via the other passengers until it eventually reached the driver - a form of "Pass the Parcel"!
The journey wasn't long, approx 15 minutes with a cost of 35 pence each (one way) and the bus only had seating for about 14 people, but I gather they come in assorted sizes!
The Friday Market was a lot bigger than I was expecting! This one is for local farmers and growers - some had a stall - or 2 - and others were just people sat on the ground surrounded by fruit and vegetables laid out on a sheet of plastic.
The overall quality appeared to be good and the place was heaving with people - so - very popular! The smells varied from earthy root vegetables to the sweetness of ripe fruit. From the nose tickling spices to the sweet cloying scent of honey.
The richly vibrant jewel colours of both plants and cut flowers ran through ruby, emerald, sapphire, topaz, and amethyst creating a rainbow inside the dim, cool interior of the overhead canopies.
The vendors called out their wares in different languages - Turkish, English, German - determined to catch the attention of the tourists as well as the locals. The Turkish equivalent of an East End barrow boy "Come on now Missus, best fruit and veg this side of Covent Garden! Come and fill yer boots!" A veritable feast for all the senses.
John chose the vegetables he wanted, discarding some as too big, some as too small - the advantage over buying pre-packed supermarket items. We came away laden with a shopping bag filled with the freshest fruit and veg we've had in ages!
We took ourselves off to the Limon cafe and bar for cold drinks and Cheddar cheese toasties - except they blatantly weren't Cheddar! The toasted cheese stretched almost the length of my arms before I could disentangle it! I was considering contacting the Guinness Book of Records! Still delicious though.
Next stop was to be the Tourist Information Office for a street map of Fethiye, so we walked along the harbour admiring the massive (and expensive) yachts moored up along the way. There was a stiff breeze blowing off the sea and the boats bobbed up and down, straining at their moorings.
We reached our destination but found that it was closed between 12-1pm for lunch - it was 12.30! There was a lovely little bench and table under the trees though so we sat in the shade to wait.
We were joined in the shade after a few minutes by a pleasant young man who was very interested in where we were from and what we were doing - he was then joined by a young Policewoman on her break. He explained to her about our trip and they both chatted away to us asking all sorts of questions!
They were not only interested in where we'd been on our trip and where we were living (slight confusion as he knew the area we lived in as farmland and fields, and didn't know it was now being built on!) They were also interested in England and all the ins and outs of English people and places. It was a delightful half an hour!
We got a taxi back to the apartment and managed some chill out time before walking down to the Angel Bar for tea! On our way out we passed our neighbour with her goats, her grandson was helping to herd them on his little red tractor - I don't think the goats were impressed.
We both chose Lemon Chicken for our meal and it was absolutely delicious! The place was busy but not heaving so very relaxing. A good end to a good day!

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 154
Saturday 9th April
Good morning!
What a beautiful day, 21C forecast but surely it's hotter than that already!?
The construction team, admirably lead by Ummuhan, are hard at work laying turf round the pool area. Then it's just a matter of filling the pool.
We might have a drive to one of the local archaeological sites this afternoon.
It's the Grand National today what do you fancy? My money is on Delta Work and Run Wild Fred!

Day 154
There's something very special about watching a new day dawn over countryside. It's very different to seeing it appear over the concrete jungle of a city.
That first little glow that heralds it's awakening. It's like watching a child rousing from sleep. Tentative movements as it stirs and begins to shake off slumber.
The slow stretching of limbs followed by the arching of the back, muscles flexing gently until, with a final yawn and a stretch it rises up, eyes opening ever wider as it's smile appears....
This is how the dawn greeted me this morning, no grey start with clouds concealing the mountains but a clear blue sky - it promises to be a lovely day!
We're off to see the Fethiye Castle/Fortress high above the town today. We've driven past and seen the massive Turkish flag fluttering high up by the Fortress walls but have often been on the way to somewhere else that took priority. Today is our day to explore it.
It's Saturday, and the traffic increases in intensity so we make a quick decision to circumnavigate the Fortress and come on a weekday when it may not be so busy.
We head for the D400 to put Plan B into action and are soon passing the polytunnels and new building sites that we've seen before. We can see the progress in the apartment blocks going up along the route.
Saklikent (Hidden City) Gorge is our destination and we weave around the roads between high hills and mountains. Several of the cafe/bar owners along the way wave to attract our attention, beckoning us into their premises for refreshments but we're not ready for that yet.
The Gorge is 980ft. deep and 11 miles long - 2 and a half of those miles are walkable. It's one of the deepest canyons in the World evidently!
We have to pay 117 TL for parking - that's possibly the most we've been charged so far! The entrance fee is 26 TL for both of us. We read the various notices welcoming us and directing us to the waterfall, (one also warned us not to hold firearms while walking?) We decided against the hard hats - most of which don't look as though they've been cleaned in a long while!
The wooden boardwalks aren't too slippery, and we move deeper into the canyon with the sound of the rushing water drowning out conversations.
We pass a heart shaped swing bedecked with imitation flowers, suspended above the raging torrent, with photos of people sitting in it - the water is a thick grey gloop rushing past us. The idea doesn't appeal!
The high walls are pocked and pitted with crevices and cave like indentations. Bushes and trees cling precariously to the steep sides, their roots have inched their way deep inside over time.
As the boardwalks end and the scene opens out before us we're faced with a sign telling us that due to flooding no-one is allowed to proceed to the waterfall. Unless, of course - you hire one of the many men who will guide you!
Of course - if this notice had been at the entrance - we wouldn't have paid out the sum of 143 TL to go and NOT see something we WANTED to see!
One of the guides approached us and told us it was 200 TL each for him to guide us, 30 minutes walk there and then 30 minutes walk back. We sat on a bench and watched what other people were doing - the younger, able bodied people!
To be honest - the people we watched were in water that came at times to mid-thigh. Slipping and sliding on unseen obstacles - the water was still a thick grey gloop rushing past at quite a rate. I doubt we'd have been steady enough to have been/felt safe and how can you enjoy the thought that you may slip and break a hip at any moment?
I would have loved to do it - but I have to be realistic. Old bones don't heal quickly or easily.
As we leave there's an almighty crash just behind us! A massive section of metal scaffolding has spontaneously collapsed onto the ground. No-one's around so it wasn't deliberate - and it wasn't us! We collect Dippy and leave.
We now head for a waterfall not very far away to see if that's any more riveting! The road is very narrow and after 50 yds, John decides to quit while he's ahead and reverse out before we get stuck or meet another vehicle coming this way.
He's stopped by an elderly man who has obviously encountered people/vehicles like this before. He shouts in Turkish - which of course we don't understand but signs that it's ok - it widens out!
We soon find ourselves weaving through fields towards the buildings that house quad bikes, circular blow up rafts a zip wire and a waterfall walk.
The car park attendant has no change so waves us in while he runs across to the shop for some change. There's a few tourist trash shops at the front and then we reach the waterfall steps. 200 steps down, we're told and then 300 metres walk to the waterfall.
As we descend there's a yell above us and someone zooms across the tree canopy on the zip wire - that looks to be so much fun! On reaching the bottom we're offered the rental or purchase of some water shoes - to wade through the river for the 300 metres to the waterfall! That bit seems to have been left out!
We catch our breath and then start back up the 200 steps, pausing for breath every now and then. On one stop I spy what looks like a wooden plaque with writing on it across a small muddy pool - I gingerly go across to read it, dodging frogs on the way. Disappointingly - there was no writing - just the grain of the wood.
I slip and slide back and we carry on. The tree roots cling desperately to the rock face and a myriad of little waterfalls spout from the rocks above us. John calls a halt - there's a line of 9 hairy caterpillars crossing our path. He takes a photo as I ask him where's the 10th?
He laughs at me - then spots the 10th on the next step up! It's a Wendy caterpillar - has to be doing what the others do - but differently!
And so - Home! We went to see 2 Waterfalls - and didn't see either. We saw other things though, and now it's nearly sunset.
There's something very special about seeing the day's end over countryside rather than the town. The sun is flushed with the day's exertions as it sinks down to pillow it's head with a glow of satisfaction of a day well lived, spent doing something you love.

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 155
Sunday 10th April
Good morning!
Another beautiful sunny start to the day and temperatures forecasted to be around a comfortable 21C.
Today we're going to meet a group of expats at Fethiye harbour over a lunchtime coffee.
This evening perhaps we'll revisit our local for dinner.
A few snaps of yesterday's visit to the gorge and waterfall.below.

Day 155
Today's plan was to meet up with a group of ex-pats near the harbour. First step was finding out if the Dolmus buses operated on a Sunday - we could always resort to a taxi if the answer had been No!
We walked down to the bus terminal and were in luck - one was on the verge of leaving. He said to give him a few minutes while he got sorted and turned the bus around.
A lone buzzard spiralled weightlessly on the thermals high above us. It was hotter than the forecast had given us to believe it was, so we sheltered under a tree while we waited to hop aboard.
We were early, so had a quick cold drink in the shade of one of the bars, idly watching the boats moored up. Lots of them are tour boats - however, the tourists to fill them are only just arriving in Turkey, so everywhere is very quiet at the moment. People assure us that it will change very soon!
The chatter from the bar's customers blended into the background as I filtered through the sounds - the waves slapping against the boats hulls and the harbour wall, the creaking of the masts, the call of the gulls and the flapping of the many Turkish flags in the wind.
I'm rather glad that we're seeing it in it's quiet period - by far the best way to assess the people and the places before the crowds fill the bars, restaurants, beaches and pavements and give you a very different impression.
The gathering is at the "Address" bar, just a short walk further on and we stroll down and spot people being directed to a covered area to one side - this looks hopeful!
A few minutes later we're sitting down and being introduced to Graham and Chris, Bev and John, and Alex, who were our immediate seating neighbours and some others a little further on.
The fact that lots of the people at this gathering were new to the area made it very easy to talk, as we were all asking and answering questions of each other without feeling we were being a nuisance. It's so much harder sometimes to break into an established group where strong friendships have already been made.
A couple of walking groups were mentioned - something we'd like to get back into. Driving in Dippy for hours on end, day in, day out, certainly takes it's toll when you suddenly need to walk somewhere and realise how stiff your joints have become!
There were also recommendations for GP's and health care professionals in general - all good things to know! Recommendations count for a lot wherever you are but when you're in a country where you don't speak the language - it's even more welcome!
The time passed quickly - good company always makes time fly! We missed the fact that Mel - who'd organised the get together - had already left, so didn't get to thank her! We'll message her later.
Next stop was to the Carikli Restaurant - grilled Salmon for me and Special Grill for John. The place had come highly recommended and lived up to it - one of the best meals we've had!
At one of their outside tables a waiter had seen a butterfly flapping against the glass screen, trying to find a way past.
I watched as he, ever so gently, rescued it and watched it as it walked across his outstretched fingers, antenna vibrating furiously. He turned his hand this way and that, allowing it to move around freely, then took it to a nearby table to show a small child, finally placing it on some flowers.
Entertainment over, we walked to the nearest Dolmus stop and were in luck - we only had to wait a few minutes before one appeared. Unfortunately, it didn't go as far as we needed but we were near the taxi rank, so swopped modes of transport and arrived home just in time for John to watch the football!
We arrived home to find the veggie patch had been planted up and was in the process of being thoroughly watered! The smell of warm damp soil at the end of a hot day - lovely!

Attachments

• 277577487_304279871827277_2954244680138321949_n.jpg
    277577487_304279871827277_2954244680138321949_n.jpg
    818.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 277760334_304279825160615_1329240433604841917_n.jpg
    277760334_304279825160615_1329240433604841917_n.jpg
    965.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 277763272_304279735160624_8699165738877019065_n.jpg
    277763272_304279735160624_8699165738877019065_n.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32
  • 277772097_304279661827298_5490621000235233656_n.jpg
    277772097_304279661827298_5490621000235233656_n.jpg
    839 KB · Views: 33
  • 277560999_304279591827305_1206011151139092130_n.jpg
    277560999_304279591827305_1206011151139092130_n.jpg
    884.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 277737360_304279525160645_126515470670595795_n.jpg
    277737360_304279525160645_126515470670595795_n.jpg
    985.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 277791818_304279435160654_6906573516028723433_n.jpg
    277791818_304279435160654_6906573516028723433_n.jpg
    641.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 277671070_304279185160679_8017869372175406009_n.jpg
    277671070_304279185160679_8017869372175406009_n.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 278072342_304278638494067_2099867892972187255_n.jpg
    278072342_304278638494067_2099867892972187255_n.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 278077067_304278518494079_8281774822476201772_n.jpg
    278077067_304278518494079_8281774822476201772_n.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IVD-Alindi-b3NO0ZZSI635.pdf
    7.8 KB · Views: 11
Oct 22, 2019
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 514 C Class
Exp
Just caught up with your thread great reading. You'll love Turkey. We live between Antalya and Side for winters. We usually leave end of May to drive back to uk to see family and friends and mot. This year we left March 1st as we have to be back for early May. We travel different routes now we're currently in Ireland caught ferry from Roscoff to Cork and will catch Dublin to Holyhead ferry end of April. We'll head back to Turkey end of August via eastern Europe. Enjoy your travels take care.

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 156
Monday 11th April
Good morning
The weather forecast for today was spot on, the rain started in the early hours and was replaced by a storm at breakfast time.
By mid morning we'll have showers and sunny spells with temperatures reaching the dizzy heights of 18C.
That's a comfortable temperature for me! 😊
We will be keeping dry today and hope for a walk to the shop this afternoon.
We met some lovely people at an expat get-together yesterday and the food at Carikli Et Restaurant was superb by any standards.

Day 156
A miserable start to the day! Gale force winds and pouring rain which eventually retreated a little, in time for John to make a dash to the local shop for bread. It might be a good idea to check on receiving home deliveries from one of the supermarkets
The rain has at least stopped the great flurries of dust from the road and the construction site opposite - the down side will be the muddy ground it leaves in it's place. Swings and roundabouts!
Still no sign of our permits! We're restricted in our movements until they arrive and check our messages daily to see if we've received a notification that they're being held up somewhere. John's notified Gurkan, who will check into it for us.
In the meantime - John gets started on a ratatouille! It's going to be a good sized one so that we can have some immediately and freeze other portions for another time. It will be useful to have some frozen meals that we can resort to if we've had a day out exploring.
Turkish cuisine isn't something I'd encountered before coming here - the height of eating "foreign cuisine" had been having a Chinese take-away on an occasional Saturday night! As you can imagine - this trip has been a culinary experience for me from the outset!
One of the tourist info brochures tells me that in the 13th century the Imperial Palace of the Ottoman Sultan - Topkapi Palace - housed some 1300 servants and that the kitchens were housed in several different buildings under 10 domes! Can you just imagine all the washing-up that must have been produced there?
There was immense rivalry between the great Ottoman houses of the day to see who could produce the best feasts. The supplies for all the ingredients came from a chain of Guilds - fishermen, hunters, butchers, bakers, cheese and yogurt makers etc etc.
All the Guilds controlled the prices and the quality control system which kept up the standards of everything produced - highly efficient from the sound of it.
You may have heard of the Silk Road, which brought silk, tea, ivory, precious stones and porcelain from Chang'an in China to Rome and then to a domed building which still exists in Istanbul. It also brought spices, red and black pepper, thyme, cumin, sumac and cinnamon. All main ingredients in Turkish cuisine to this day.
The weekly markets here in Fethiye are laden with fresh fruit, fish, vegetables - and spices - all readily available and the experience of wandering through such a bustling place is unique. The sights, sounds and smells must inspire even the most inexperienced of cooks to "have ago".
Finally - bread! You can - if you want to - go to the supermarket and buy the sliced bread - brown or white - that you'd expect to get in England.
Or - you could indulge in Manti - small doughy dumplings filled with meat and served with garlic yogurt or melted butter sprinkled with paprika!
Borek is another bread to be enjoyed with a meat filling - or cheese! The dough is rolled to the thickness of paper before being filled and then fried or baked - delicious!
The supermarkets squares of bread, sliced and wrapped in plastic - don't seem so appetising somehow!

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 157
Tuesday 12th April
Good morning!
In stark contrast to yesterday we have a beautiful and sunny start to the day with 19C forecast.
Our residency permits are over due so still no immediate travel plans. However our agent is a good guy with great contacts and he's hopeful of a result today.

Day 157
We woke today to clear blue sky and the long range of snow capped mountains to our left was clearly visible. For the last few days it's been wreathed in cloud but yesterdays strong winds have blown them away.
I go to put the kettle on for my morning cappuccino and remember that we don't have any! Milky coffee has been part of my morning routine for over 50 years and it's unsettling to have it altered! It's on the shopping list for later.
Sir Edmund Hilary and Sherpa Tensing - the goats - walk sedately past with the sheep, off to find their own breakfast as I eat mine. The washing machine is whirring away in the background, with today's hot sunshine and stiff breeze it will be dry in no time and ready for ironing - not always my favourite chore!
I have to be in the right frame of mind to do ironing - back home it used to be done whilst watching black and white movies. War films and westerns were my favourites - especially ones with John Wayne in - my Dad looked like him and it always brought back happy memories for me.
John unknowingly rescues me from the ironing by saying he's walking to the shops, do I fancy a walk too? Hmm Ironing versus shopping? No contest!
We set off down the road, but John had forgotten to mention that he wanted to go via the beach and a bar! I had no problem with the idea, but if I'd known beforehand I would have taken a jacket to keep the sea breeze at bay!
The beach he was looking for was supposed to be one of the best ones along here - but it seems we may have taken a wrong turn as the beach we reached was seemingly no different to the others we've seen so far.
The beach bar was very quiet - 4 people with a couple of children, playing on the swings. One of the ropes broke mid swing and deposited the child unceremoniously on the ground! No damage done luckily.
A lady and her son were just across from where we were sitting, the boy throwing stones into the waves and riding happily around on his bike.
We were soon joined by another couple, with a small black and white dog who came over and sniffed me and then cocked his leg and watered my chair leg! It could have been worse, I suppose! He could have watered me!
The cappuccino that John had ordered for me eventually arrived - considering the lack of customers the service was very slow! It looked a little weak and insipid, however, it's looks were deceiving as it was delicious!
We didn't linger, but went in search of the toilets before leaving. The ladies was lacking - no water in the taps so no hand washing, which was probably just as well as there were no paper towels to dry your hands if you had!
The one and only door jammed at the top left corner and had to be manhandled forcefully to open it - then again to shut it once you were inside - then again to open it so that you could leave! The accompanying screech was deafening! At one point I had visions of sending John a Whatsapp message asking him to rescue me!
An old song from my childhood sprang to mind - how many of you know it?
"Oh dear what can the matter be,
3 old ladies got locked in the lavatory,
They were there from Monday to Saturday,
Nobody knew they were there!"
We stopped at the shop when we left but no fresh bread and no Cappuccino, so we stopped at the next shop too. No bread, no Cappuccino but they did have beer!
We reached home to a message from Gurkan to tell us that our permits had been waiting for us at the Post Office in Fethiye since April 4th! Evidently it's quite common for them to be left without anyone notifying you that they're there.
So - we're off on the Dolmus tomorrow to go and retrieve them.
The newly planted turf around the pool has just been thoroughly watered - water evaporates here in the hot sun very quickly. When I mopped our balcony yesterday the water was drying as fast as I could drag the mop along!
The plants that were bedded out at the same time as the turf are all flourishing and you can smell the damp soil. The jewel colours of them make a bright rainbow against the backdrop of rich, red earth.
The sun is setting as I write this and turns the white walled houses surrounding us a lovely mellow shade of orangey-yellow. The snow capped mountains that were sparkling white this morning are now turned a rosy pink as the call to prayer echoes across the fields.

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 158
Wednesday 13th April
Good morning
Another late post but we were up and about early ish! Beautiful sunny day circa 22C.
We're in downtown Fethiye at the designated post office to collect our residency permits. The guy says the postman is delivering them today. We think it's a copout and he CBA, time will tell.🤔
Next stop is a DIY shop for a couple of things then more shopping with Wendy's halva top of the list. 😁

Day 158
We needed to go into Fethiye today to try and track down our elusive permits. We didn't have long to wait for the Dolmus and were soon bowling along in the already hot sunshine.
We slowed to a crawl at one point and as I idly looked out of the window on my side of the bus there were 4 men standing in the empty traffic lane next to me.
There seemed to be quite an argument going on. Lots of angry faces and arm waving - the hands particularly waving at the open manhole at their feet!
One man in particular seemed to be the recipient of most of the abuse. The other three took it in turns to try and push him down towards the gaping hole at his feet but there was no way he was going to oblige them!
They pushed - he resisted.Two of them got hold of an arm each and thrust him downwards! He pushed back at them and raised a fist, waving it in the face of the one on his left.
The yelling was escalating as our bus crawled slowly level with them but as it was in Turkish there was no way of understanding what was going on.
It seemed to be along the lines "You go down!"
"No, you go down!"
"Why me?"
"Because I said so, that's why!"
We had passed them by now, so despite craning my neck at an unnatural angle I missed the outcome! It certainly livened up the journey though!
We found the Post Office OK but came up against a brick wall as far as the clerk was concerned. He asked for our names, and address but wasn't interested in seeing our Passports or the barcodes we'd been told to produce. He just flicked at a few envelopes in his hand and told us No, they weren't there.
When John persisted that we'd been told they'd been waiting here for us since April 4th he shrugged and said they were delivered to our address today! He then turned his back on us and ignored us.
A complete and utter waste of time! John sent a message to Gurkan, who'd handled the paperwork for our permits and he said he'd get onto it. There was nothing else we could do at this stage. We came away both frustrated and annoyed at the Post Office clerk's attitude.
We'd missed breakfast when we set off this morning so were both famished by this point. A quick stop for coffee and brunch was in order! While we waited, John added a few things to the list of shopping we needed to get while we were in here.
First stop was to be a Yapi - the Turkish equivalent of a Jewsons! Google maps identified where we needed to go - but the satellite up in the sky couldn't account for the fact that the street the Yapi was located in was under major re-construction! The type of major reconstruction that involved taking up the pavements as well as the road surface!
With the agility of mountain goats we clambered up and down non-existent kerbs, down alleys that ended in enormous ditches, across pavements that had ankle-turning holes in them caused by the missing paving bricks, defied death by crossing in front of an enormous digger trundling towards us like a Saracen tank and eventually reached our destination in a cloud of brick dust!
The DIY assistant was extremely helpful and we managed to gather together the bits and pieces we needed without too much hassle! While John was dealing with all that I watched some children along the road.
They were with 3 women sat chatting across the road. The children were distracted by the abandoned tools the workmen had left when they went for lunch.
One child had found a hammer and was happily smashing the bricks that had been stacked neatly at the end of the path. Pieces of brick flew left, right and centre as he hacked at them.
Then he decided to do his version of the Highland Games - tossing the Hammer! He held it above his head and whirled around several times, eventually letting it go. It went flying along the path skidding to a stop near another lad.
The second lad was better armed - he had a pickaxe! With an almighty yell he charged at his opponent waving it about as he ran - at this point one of the women intervened, thank goodness!
All of this had been watched not only by me - but also by another little lad on the roof of the building opposite. His contribution to the mayhem was to wait until someone passed on the pavement underneath him - and then try to spit on their head before running back out of sight - giggling!
Kids! Don't you just love 'em!
Our last mission was to try and top up our wifi system that we use in Dippy. It's one we started with Turkcell a couple of months ago. However - despite trying 2 separate Turkcell shops, neither one would give us the same deal we had started with! We could either have a more expensive deal - or not at all! We walked away!
We raided the Migros store for some supplies and took the Dolmus back. When we got off we were close to the Angel Bar so treated ourselves to a meal and cold drinks before walking back -11,500 steps today! I think we'll sleep well tonight.

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 159
Thursday 14th April
Good morning!
What a bright and beautiful day it is again, we're definitely getting used to this glorious weather 😁
We had a pointless visit to the PTT yesterday but are going back today and hope to get our hands on the residency permits!!
This weekend perhaps we can plan our visit to Cappadocia and a much awaited balloon 🎈 flight😍

We have our permits!
ikametgahımız var!

Attachments

• 277806686_306877928234138_8065260150449007068_n.jpg
    277806686_306877928234138_8065260150449007068_n.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 159 (continued)
Woke to a beautiful sunny day this morning - long may it continue!
We're off to retrieve our residency permits this morning - 2nd attempt! So out of the door early to get the Dolmus into town. The Dolmus drivers have all been very hot on people wearing masks - they hand out free ones if someone hasn't got one.
One German lady isn't keen to wear one and he harangues her in a very "wear it or get off my bus" sort of way. She takes it but won't cover her nose with it. She's the second woman on the bus today to get a telling off.
The first one - the driver refused to drive until she covered her face properly! Well done!
This Dolmus took a different route to the others we've been on and we ended some 20 minutes walk away from the Post Office where we needed to collect the permits.
The Post Office is shut between 12.30 - 1.30 for lunch so we needed to get a wriggle on! We made it with minutes to spare and found yesterday's "assistant" (I use the term loosely) sat having a fag outside.
We waited at the window - just in case someone else was covering his break - fat chance! After a few minutes he humphed and went to the door, opened it and yelled inside, then went back to his seat.
Nothing happened, no-one came, so eventually he came back inside. John gave him the note - written in Turkish - that explained why we were there and having read it, he sorted through a dozen or so envelopes and found our two.
Once he'd checked our passports he handed over the envelopes and that was it - done and dusted!
We sat down and ripped the envelopes open, checking the permits to ensure all was ok. Once John had photographed the evidence and posted it online he messaged Gurkan, as agreed, who asked us to come and see him after 2pm.
We went and had some cold drinks to celebrate and I achieved my first goal of the day as a Turkish resident - I made it to the Ladies toilets and back on my own without getting lost in the big shopping centre!
Those of you that know me will know my sense of direction is suspect at the best of times. I swear John had a few more grey hairs when I came safely back into sight than before I left!
The cafe had a fantastic array of desserts in their display cabinet and we decided to treat ourselves, John told me to choose for both of us. What a choice!
I ambled over and bent down to peer through the glass window at the display. Our very attentive usual waiter stood next to me and bent over to peer at them too. I couldn't resist it - I glanced sideways at his head - 6 inches from my own and said "BOO!" He jumped - and then grinned at me!
After we'd polished off our desserts we ambled through lots of streets we'd not been down before looking for oddments such as shoe polish - not in supermarkets or even in shoe shops!
A plastic wallet with see through pockets to hold our passports and stop them from getting dirty and dog-eared - No, only the credit card size ones.
I can see Amazon being the top of our shopping list!
We still had some time to kill so popped into the Address Bar where we'd met some other Brits staying in Turkey last weekend. It's a very relaxing place to sit and chill out, just watching life go by.
The "Manager" may be small but he is mighty! He is the personification of what a good Manager should be!
He notices absolutely everything but is completely unobtrusive and ensures everything runs like clockwork. He signs surreptitiously to the staff if he notices a customer needs something - an order, the table clearing, the bill, the menu. His movements are discreet but his staff are aware he is watching their every move. He's an expert!
We set off for Gurkan's office, where he congratulates us and photocopies our permits, sending us with his secretary to get our address confirmed at the government building. We're there for about 10 minutes, the place is very quiet today, unlike the last time we were here.
Our permits are checked and John signs a form confirming the address - done! We get downstairs and hear a shout above us! 2 windows are open and the lady we've just seen shouts something to Gurkan's secretary and throws down a piece of paper that she forgot to hand to us - a copy of the signed form!
We're starting to flag now, so head for an early meal and a celebratory glass of Prossecco at the Carikli Restaurant. As before - the food is spectacular!
We've walked 7 miles - 16,609 steps and it feels like it! A taxi is in order. John sits in the front passenger seat to give the driver directions - only 1 taxi driver so far has known where our place is!
The driver's off like a greyhound at the 'Stow and John's telling me "Put your seat belt on!" I tell him I can't and he repeats it - I tell him there's no seat belt in the back to put on!
The driver's typing into his phone one handed while the taxi veers across the wrong side of the road and John's voice is getting more urgent! "Get your seat belt on!"
The driver laughs and waves his hand in the air "Is no seat belting in back of car! "
I mutter "I told you so!" as John pales!
We somehow make it home in one piece and at the top of our stairs we find a surprise! There's a metal box attached to our wall, right next to the front door! It wasn't there this morning! What on earth?
It's a container with shelving inside for our shoes and slippers to be kept in! Brilliant!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I follow your writings with interest.

I know you are having some good moments but for me the administrative hassle would not be worth it.

I am not sure Greece would be easier, but at least when I was there I was on my British Registered Ship so had nothing to do with land-based administration. Also last year in our MH visit to Greece, including to Patmos island, the only administration we encountered was to show our Vaccination documents on arrival at Patras. Anyway in Greece I know 'Mr. Fixits' without having to pay - well few ouzo maybe.

I know your reason for being in Turkey is to avoid the Schengen 90/180 limit so maybe the hassle is worthwhile.

A high spot seems to be the way your landlords are taking care of the apartment. Congratulate them from me.

Continue to enjoy the good bits. Hopefully the Admin. part is over.

[I have responded to the thread about re-importing to UK, only because I may need same information]

Geoff

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
I follow your writings with interest.

I know you are having some good moments but for me the administrative hassle would not be worth it.

I am not sure Greece would be easier, but at least when I was there I was on my British Registered Ship so had nothing to do with land-based administration. Also last year in our MH visit to Greece, including to Patmos island, the only administration we encountered was to show our Vaccination documents on arrival at Patras. Anyway in Greece I know 'Mr. Fixits' without having to pay - well few ouzo maybe.

I know your reason for being in Turkey is to avoid the Schengen 90/180 limit so maybe the hassle is worthwhile.

A high spot seems to be the way your landlords are taking care of the apartment. Congratulate them from me.

Continue to enjoy the good bits. Hopefully the Admin. part is over.

[I have responded to the thread about re-importing to UK, only because I may need same information]

Geoff

Thanks Geoff, for both responses

Our current position is that the residency permits give us far more time to properly explore Turkey and it really is worthwhile. Secondly it gives us an opportunity to experience the lifestyle and consider if we'd like to stay here for a few years.

The apartment is on the first floor of a three storey full refurbishment. They're supposed to be holiday lets so there isn't much storage. The landlord and his family are superb, we feel part of the family. :)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Geoff, for both responses

Our current position is that the residency permits give us far more time to properly explore Turkey and it really is worthwhile. Secondly it gives us an opportunity to experience the lifestyle and consider if we'd like to stay here for a few years.

The apartment is on the first floor of a three storey full refurbishment. They're supposed to be holiday lets so there isn't much storage. The landlord and his family are superb, we feel part of the family. :)

Basia's Sister has lived in Turkey for about 10 years. First in Fethiye and now East of Bodrum.

We speak to her on What's App nearly every day.

So if you want an opinion of settling there PM us.

Geoff

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr
Greetings all

Wendy and I left the UK in Dippy III, our 2008 Rapido 7099F, on 7th November 2021 and have driven via the Balkans to Turkey where we arrived a week ago on February 7th 2022.

We have learned so much from this forum and there aren't a lot of Turkey travel posts about so I thought I'd create a post for the mutual benefit of anyone interested in coming this way and getting out of Schengen for 90 days. Like France, Turkey also offers a 12 month visa but I haven't properly investigated either yet.

We have a FB page Travels on a State Pension that covers the whole trip. Typically I post a brief note in the mornings which outlines our plans for the day and Wendy posts a warts and all rerview of our day every evening. If there's any interest and you don't do FB I could copy and paste those on here. We are certainly not seasoned camper travellers and, with a combined age of 137, we aren't the quickest at learning new tricks.

People travelling from the UK do not currently need a visa to visit Turkey for periods of 90 days or less.
Covid rules and regulations change almost daily so you should always check the current rules. In our case we have been fully jabbed with the third vaccination on 31/10/2021 and we had completed the obligatory Passenger Locator Forms.

We crossed from Greece into Turkey at Ipsala and the whole procedure lasted 35 minutes.
Window 1 - we were waved straight through
Window 2 - we showed our passports and they wanted to look inside the van, he just stood outside and peered through the open door! We were asked how much alcohol and tobacco we had and if we were carrying anything illegal. He asked to see all the alcohol I had mentioned and while I was away from the door retreiving it he asked Wendy for suitcases as he wanted to look inside those. She opened the wardrobe door and he just shrugged and walked away. We were asked to get out of the van and had our photographs taken from a camera on a fixed pole. We are both quite small but still had to crouch down for the lens :D
Window 3 - We had to show our V5 and insurance green card.
Window 4 - we had all our covid related stuff ready to hand over but they didn't ask. They pointed in the direction of a large buiding 50 yards away and said GO then comeback! The building turned out to house their vehicle xray equipment, they took our documents waved us through to the xray and asked us to leave the vehicle and take with us "cat and dogs". Duly x-rayed we parked up and returned to window 4 as requested where an officer just shouted GO at us so off we toddled.

In general the roads have been excellent, better than the UK, but there are still places where a good road peters out into a dirt track before reverting to tarmac again. The driving has been easy enough, other drivers are more polite than the Balkan countries. A word of warning though for all countries South of Slovenia, they take left hand bends with at least two wheels on the wrong side of the road and don't hurry to get out of the way when they see another vehicle coming towards them!

Garages are plentiful and modern with diesel between 80p and 88p per litre while LPG pumps charge around 43p per litre.
We plan to spend most of our time off-grid but there are far fewer places at the side of the road to overnight in. They are careful to ensure any rain can easily drain away from the road so there are often gullies running the length on each side. Stopping places on major routes are few and far between too.

When parking for the night we are very discreet, no camping and all blinds up and ensure our spot isn't obstructing anyone. We've stayed by a beach and on a quayside and the police haven't been interested in us at all. Officially so called "wild" camping is illegal in Turkey.
Their carriageways seem to be a little wider than ours.
The people are incredibly friendly! :)

That's it for now and I'm not sure which is the best way to report our travels and/or answer any questions you may have.
I don't want to clog the board up with all our daily posts unless there is a demand for it and you can follow our trip on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TravelsonaStatePension

We are also very keen to hear from others who have visited Turkey, all hints, tips and suggestions of places to visit are welcome!
Hi. We are trying to do the same in our Bessacarr leaving in a week. But have just found our insurers won't cover Turkey. How did you get your insurance?

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Hi. We are trying to do the same in our Bessacarr leaving in a week. But have just found our insurers won't cover Turkey. How did you get your insurance?
We're with Saga.
They don't offer Turkey as standard but if you ring within one month of entering the country and give entry and leave dates they will consider it.
We got three months cover, no charge.

I believe other specialists offer Turkey cover at a price. You can also buy it at the border but it's only third party.

Good luck!

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 160
Friday 15th April
Good morning!
Our usual bright sunny day here with a forecast of 22C but every day seems warmer than the forecast 🤔
A very poor start to the day for me, I didn't get the Wordle 😯 I had three possibilities for my last guess and chose the wrong one 😟
We finally got our permits yesterday so are planning to travel next week, probably to Cappadocia which we always thought to be one of the highlights of this trip.
First we must revisit Sahil Karavan for repairs. We had noticed that the sealant on our rear offside corner panel was in poor condition and a very slight brush with a Dolmus pushed the panel off completely 🥺
So I need to reattach the rear lights using an inventive method and drive to Antalya as soon as they have a slot for us.
Today we're going to wander down to Turkcell in Calis to get the Mifi SIM topped up and possibly arrange for WiFi and UK TV in the apartment.
It's Easter weekend, but obviously not celebrated here, what are your plans?

Day 160
Woke to another beautiful day! Not a breath of air to stir the palm tree near the balcony, so it could be a hot one!
The vegetable gardens down below us were two-tone brown, the mounds of the potatoes that have been earthed up are light and the dips between are darker with the damp of watered soil.
I'm unsure what has been planted other than the potatoes - it needs further investigation! We've been kindly offered one of the plots for our own use - John and I are both keen gardeners so it would provide us with not only fresh vegetables but also something to keep us busy in between our spells away travelling.
The down side would be that when we ARE away then someone would have to tend it for us. Decisions!
John's up to his eyes in planning where we'll be going next and what to see. Turkey has so much to offer to travellers that we're really spoilt for choice. At least gaining our short term residency has given us extra time to go exploring!
In the meantime - we needed to go and top up our portable wifi system and get some supplies in Calis. We also want to walk there as our Google Fit app will be upset with us if we don't keep up the good work we've achieved so far so - off to Calis!
It was a hot day for walking and the ever present dust swirled about us with every passing vehicle. It's a long walk too, but a pleasant one, as we pass so many interesting villas and apartments.
Some are holiday lets, others are probably private dwellings, unoccupied at the moment. Lots of the pools are empty, some have a few feet of green tinged water in them. It will be interesting to see how many are resurrected as their owners come back for a summer vacation.
We pass an English couple at work in the front garden of one with a strimmer. The man laughs at his wife when he manages to get it started and the spurts of dry grass rise up into the air.
It's not long before we pass the Dolmus bus station and then have to keep a wary eye on traffic at the point where the road narrows. A lack of pavements means extra care needs to be taken and John occasionally has to gently tug me back on track - my damaged knee means I have a tendency to veer to the right!
When we reach the Three Monkeys Bar we're very ready for a cold drink! There's a lovely cool breeze coming in from the sea to cool us and good music playing in the background. Loud enough to enjoy but not blaring out at a volume to stop you from chatting. Perfect!
We continue along the promenade to the sound of the waves. There's a few people sat on the stony beach but the tourists aren't here in vast numbers - yet.
It will be interesting to see just how busy it gets here. I'm also rather glad that our apartment is far enough out to avoid the crowds that people have told us to expect, whilst still being in walking distance.
Another Bar stop for more liquid refreshment - the heat is now enough for me to cover up - much to John's surprise! If I'm hot - then it's VERY hot!
Shopping retrieved - lots of bottled water but forgot the Zero Coca Cola! Enough heavy stuff though, to merit a taxi back!

Attachments

• 277786865_307551861500078_890783198722827971_n.jpg
    277786865_307551861500078_890783198722827971_n.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 277806200_307551814833416_8636290092905264437_n.jpg
    277806200_307551814833416_8636290092905264437_n.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 277812833_307551754833422_732260327391034436_n.jpg
    277812833_307551754833422_732260327391034436_n.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 278104381_307551634833434_4134511903152511668_n.jpg
    278104381_307551634833434_4134511903152511668_n.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 161
Not at all sure of why - but I woke at 5.15 am and couldn't get back to sleep. Rather than toss and turn and disturb John, I gave up and got out of bed.
The sun wasn't up yet but the sky was lightening in the East. Lots of cloud and no sign at this point of any of the mountains. The roosters were all trying to outdo each other though!
There seems to be 3 different locations for the ones we hear and they all try to outdo each other at the top of their voices, one of the perks/penalties of country living! However, at the end of the day - or should I say at the beginning of the day - I'd rather hear them than traffic!
Breakfast over, our main job for today was to give Dippy III a good wash - she certainly needed it! The amount of construction work that is the sign of progress - whether it be housing or roadways - is by necessity a dusty, dirty process! It's unavoidable unfortunately. and leaves a thick layer of dust on everything.
We've sometimes seen the vehicles with big tanks that spray gallons of water across the streets to dampen the dust down - very effective! However, the hot sun dries it all up again very quickly so it's short lived.
We've asked permission to use the hosepipe outside - it's main use is for the pool so is a large bore hosepipe, not your common or garden one we'd use in UK for watering the roses! This is more on par with a Fireman's hosepipe.
Permission granted - I step out onto the terrace to see just how hot it is - very! A grasshopper is sunbathing there and it whirrs off as I disturb it. The swifts are very active too - usually they buzz about over our terrace in the evening, not usually the morning.
We go and inspect the hosepipe and unravel the amount we need. John's already moved Dippy closer to the entrance gates as there's less soil in that area to turn to mud. She hasn't been used for 6 days so there's a sigh of relief when she starts first time - clever girl!
We set out a bucket and a long handled brush fit for the purpose, while I get ready to turn the lever to start the water flowing. I can't budge it (I'm not the strongest of people!)
I eventually manage to move it a couple of inches but it's obvious that no water has moved into the hosepipe.
John asks if I've turned it the right way - Yes! He comes and tries it himself in case handle turning isn't one of my many womanly skills - but no luck.
Our Landlord's lovely sister then appears and shows me that I'm doing it correctly - but inside a white box on the wall there's a lever I need to push - the ON button for the electric pump! That'll do it!
Within seconds, John's happily directing streams of water over the front section and then using the brush and some Fairy Liquid (other brands are available) to take off the thick layer of dust and grime.
My very important job is to stand and look like an American Cheerleader with a J Cloth instead of pompoms and wait for the go ahead to wipe off any lingering bits of dirt.
Something to the side of me catches my eye and when I turn to look, Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum, the 2 young brown goats, are watching us with absorbed fascination. "What on Earth are the humans doing now?"
They don't stay long.
45 minutes or so later - sweat is pouring off of both of us, John's had to bear the brunt of the hard work as I'm too short to reach high enough even with the brush, my J cloth is black - and Dippy's absolutely gleaming in the sunlight!
A gallon or so of drinking water later in the cool and shady apartment, we look out over road - she looks fantastic!
The construction workers opposite have been hard at it as usual - I don't know how they stand this heat. They're working on all 3 floors - ground floor, first floor, second floor - plus the roof which of course makes 4 levels as such. I'm fascinated with what they're doing!
Man 1 takes a long flexible metal rod and passes it to the man on the level above - Man 2. I have to guess at the length of it but it's as long as the building itself - so lets say 25ft as my guess.
It wobbles about as it's passed up and then pulled by the man above - so I know it's flexible.
Man 2 passes it to the next level - level 3 - where it's pulled up by several other men who together manhandle it aloft to the men on level 4. It sways and flexes quite violently during this! Their 2 part movements are reminiscent of sailors heaving the ropes that pull the sails up the masts on sailing ships! Heave! Ho! Heave! Ho!
Still with me?
Once on level 4 the manhandling seems a bit more complicated! This is the top level and has no retaining walls at the sides and the flexing appears to be more difficult as they manhandle it into position whilst trying not to go over the edge.
The pipe is laid along the floor, but it seems as though it needs to be looped or linked into something on the floor that I can't see. Greater care is taken. More time is taken - it's not just laid down and that's it.
The way they're raising their feet is also a giveaway that something is on the floor that needs avoiding - there's a lot of shouting going on. Not angry, just instructions. It's pushed, pulled, men step over it and back.
Then they repeat it with the next one.
It goes on for at least an hour then they retreat to the shade downstairs for drinks and cigarettes, the smoke drifting lazily upwards, their voices faint on the breeze.
An hour or so later a cement lorry turns up and the filling in takes place. They move around the roof, heaving the spout of the funnel this way and that as the cement is spread. It takes 3 lorries to finish the job.
They started work at 7am this morning - they were still working at around 8pm!

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 162
Sunday 17th April
Good morning and happy Easter!
No chocolate for us but we'll make do with Halva ❤️
After yesterday's wash Dippy III sparkles in the sun but today is overcast and 24C with a chance of showers. We plan so set about cleaning inside the cab and habitation today.
Our vehicle insurance for Turkey expires in three weeks so this week's task will be finding alternative cover.

Day 162
When I opened the curtains this morning I was greeted by a strange sight! Sir Edmund Hillary - the goat, not the person - was striding up the spoilheap of the building site opposite us.
Having reached the top, he scrabbled about with his hooves a bit and then turned in circles, rather like a dog does when it's settling down for a sleep. He then, just like a dog, settled down as if to have a sleep!
I have no idea if this is normal behaviour for a goat, but it was out of character for him. He stayed there all day, just "nesting". Didn't go for a wander, or to eat anything - just "nested".
Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, the goat twins, went and looked at him once or twice and then ignored him in favour of foraging for greenery to eat. It will be interesting tomorrow to see if he does it again!
I'd quite forgotten it was Easter Sunday today! As it's not a Turkish celebration there's no adverts for chocolate Easter eggs etc to have reminded me the way it would have done in England.
It's set me thinking about UK Easter traditions though! We had a large garden, so when my children were small there was always great fun to be had with the Easter Egg Hunt using mini eggs, having first made a cardboard and crepe paper basket to retrieve them in.
My personal feelings had to be set aside with this one, as I had several traumatic experiences of being turned into a human replica of said basket filled with eggs every time my Mum dressed me for a Fancy Dress competition!
Whether it was Easter or not - that was my designated costume! A shy, quiet child, I hated being under a microscope for any reason at all - let alone parading around wearing fancy dress!
Hot Cross Buns! Yummy! I absolutely love them and could happily eat them all year round! Evidently a 14th century Monk - Thomas Rockliffe - baked them to give to the poor on Good Friday. The cross on the bun was said to represent the cross that Jesus died on.
Morris Dancing - a traditional dance by men (and now also by women) dressed in white shirts, knee length trousers with bells attached to them, hats which are often decorated with flowers and carrying sticks also with bells attached. The sticks are beaten against each other in the rhythm of the dance.
I can remember seeing the Hoxon Hundred Morris Dancers a few times when I still lived in Suffolk, they were a joy to watch! I wonder if they're still going?
Maypole Dancing - Dancers weave around a tall wooden pole whilst each holding the end of a ribbon which is attached to the top of the pole. The ribbons ( if the dancers get their steps right ) make different patterns as the weave descends with each rotation.
This was another "Bane of my life!" My lack of skill with anything mathematical meant I could never remember when to duck under someone's ribbon - or raise my own ribbon over someone's head - or what count we were on, or direction we were going in! My teacher eventually banned me from participating in this traditional dance before either she or I had a nervous breakdown!
The Nutters Dance - this one is new to me! A Lancastrian clog dancing group "The Brittania Coconut Dancers" who dance the 11kms from one end of Bacup to the other - drinking a pint of ale at each and every pub they pass! WOW!
I think, however, that the best Easter tradition was performed here in our very own apartment this evening! John cooked Lamb shanks for our evening meal! Lamb being the traditional Easter Sunday roast in UK. It was absolutely delicious and so well cooked that the meat just fell off the bone.
Happy Easter everyone.

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 163
Monday 18th April

Good afternoon!
A bit of a breeze and overcast with 21C forecast and a chance of showers.
I spent last evening making a list of things to see and do in Cappadocia so today's task will be to put them on our Google map and work out a suitable route.
So not much going on today and that makes Wendy's evening post more difficult.
Enjoy your bank holiday Monday 🙂

Day 163
As John mentioned in his morning post - we had no plans for today so no round up of what we did/saw during today! Therefore, I thought I'd take a look at what traditions exist here in Turkey, as a follow on to yesterday's post of Easter traditions.
My favourite, I think, will always be the Whirling Dervishes - which I won't elaborate on as we covered it a few weeks back. Suffice it to say that it is a spectacular sight! If you're unlikely to visit Turkey and see it in person - then Youtube it!
The next one that comes to mind is tea! Turkish people consider it a token of friendship to serve tea not only to friends and family, but also to welcome strangers. When we arrived in Turkey we were surprised to be served tea and not be charged for it! It was a sign of friendship.
In England we have a tradition of reading the tea leaves to discover/tell peoples fortunes, however, in Turkey they read the coffee grounds. Turkish coffee leaves a thick sludge like substance in the cup. It's used to predict your future events, current situations, love and relationships and wealth.
Oil Wrestling - Yes, oil wrestling! This is a sport from the times of ancient Mesopotamia and has been an annual event in Edirne since 1362. Two wrestlers cover themselves in oil and wrestle for anything up to 40 minutes at a time. The winner is declared when his opponent's navel faces the sky!
In England - and other places - we use the expression "Green eyed with envy" to describe someone being jealous of you. We would also use the expression "blue-eyed boy" to describe someone who's a favourite and can do no wrong.
In Turkey however, blue eyes are considered to give off negative energy, so bad vibes are supposedly turned away by the use of the blue and white glass "eye" or button that we see on sale everywhere here.
Adaklik Kurban - or Devotional Service - is the tradition of sacrificing an animal at the end of Ramadan, the meat is then used to feed the poor. It therefore serves a dual purpose. It can be done at other times too, when the need is felt for some good luck such as a job offer or a marriage proposal.
The Hamam or Turkish bath, is thought of nowadays as a luxurious spa treatment - which, of course, it can be. However it started as a form of cleansing and social interaction, discussing important events and decisions. We will often have seen the Romans on tv and in films discussing important matters in the Turkish Baths.
During Ramadan, the wealthier people will often leave their doors open at sunset mealtimes so that the poorer people may just enter and sit at the table with them to eat. They don't need to be invited - it's purely an act of friendship and camaraderie. What a wonderfully generous action! I can't say I've heard of it being done in UK?
I'll finish with a wedding tradition!
A bride's friends will write their names on the soles of her shoes in chalk. At the end of the day the shoes are inspected - if your name has been wiped out during the day's activities - you'll be the next to get married!
On that note - I shall go and partake of what has become my very own Turkish tradition after writing my evening post - Halva!

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 164
Tuesday 19th April
Good morning!
Cool and very wet here today, thunderstorms due and temperature forecast a very cool 16C.
Last night we managed to get the firestick installed and working, no help from teenagers 🤣
As the weather is miserable today will be spent researching alternative vehicle insurance for Turkey as ours expires in three weeks 😱
Also planning the route to Cappadocia.

Day 164
Well, this will possibly be the shortest post I've ever done! No travelling again today so very little to report.
Woke to the rain pouring down and washing away the red dust that's coated everything for the last few days. There's been strong winds that have caused it all to eddy up as if they were imitating the dances of the Whirling Dervishes we saw a few weeks back.
Typical really, as we'd cleaned Dippy thoroughly and she'd been gleaming in the sunlight one minute and covered in dust the next! The rain soon washed it away though!
The forecast had predicted thunderstorms - something I quite enjoy if I'm inside and can watch through the window as the lightning streaks it's way across the leaden skies, either preceeded or followed by the rolling crash of thunder.
The thunderstorms didn't happen though, and the rain itself quickly petered out, all that was left was the fresh grass smell of the vegetation around us. The newly planted vegetables were well watered though.
Paperwork kept me busy for the rest of the morning so it made a welcome break when John suggested we take advantage of the unexpected and take a walk down to the Angel Bar for a beer and a snack. I looked out for the goats - but only caught a glimpse of Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum in the distance with their Mum (as yet un-named!)
The walk through to the Angel is past lots of empty villas and apartments - we wondered how soon they'd be filled with returning owners or holidaymakers.
The menu was duly perused - we only really wanted a snack as we had some delicious lamb shanks to finish off for tea tonight. There was no hesitation though when I spotted the Dessert section - Pancakes with lemon and sugar!
John tried to tempt me with ice cream topping instead of lemon and sugar but I stood my ground! Best decision ever! I pride myself on my pancakes and John makes delicious ones too - however these beat our attempts hands down! If it weren't so close to tea time I'd have had some more!
We've managed to get the tv connected to our Amazon Firestick so enjoyed a film after tea, however we find that trying to watch live tv rather than a video is interrupted by repeated buffering, which of course soon becomes very annoying! Hopefully we can solve this soon.
Well, that's the end of a quiet day - hopefully there will be more to post tomorrow!

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 165
Wednesday 20th April
Good morning!
The sun has got his hat on again, a beautiful morning 😀 the forecast for the next 7 days is full on sunshine with daily temperatures 20, 21, 23, 25, 27, 27, 27 happy days!
Plans for today include a walk to the nearest Migros which is just over a mile away. Perhaps explore a little of our local area too,.

Day 165
Another quiet day today - apart from going for some shopping sometime after breakfast. We decided to walk to the shop as we didn't really need much, but it was tricky things such as the search for Cappuccino sachets and cheddar cheese - or something as close a resemblance to it as possible.
The original plan was for the little Migros Jet but as there was a Dolmus waiting ready to go as we reached the bus terminal we decided to upgrade to the larger version further on.
No cheddar but we managed to get everything else we needed plus a few extras - enough to make it worth getting a taxi back. We sort of "overshot" our turning, but found ourselves at the other side of where the apartments are, so hopped out and negotiated our way back via where Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum were grazing with their Mum - as yet unnamed - and the sheep.
They looked rather bewildered at our sudden appearance next to them, but kindly shifted over to allow us through the foliage and up to our entrance gate, the odd "Bleh" echoing behind us.
John pointed me in the direction of a couple of interesting articles about life here in Turkey. It stressed the diversity of the different areas - which we've discovered everywhere we've been! It's certainly one of the most interesting countries I've been to - so far! It also described living in Turkey as "an adventure, challenging, but rewarding."
I think that really sums up my own feelings about Turkey - so far! I have a lot more to explore yet!
I find it's history fascinating - and it's architectural ruins stunningly beautiful in a perverse way! If you have the imagination to look at them and visualise them when new - how wonderful!
It doesn't take much to picture the people from hundreds - or even thousands - of years ago, walking round those fallen walls, looking out of those eyeless windows, entering through those tilted doorways. Their shoes have worn the stones of the streets to ruts over generations of footfall.
Wind forward hundreds of years and you have the infrastructure that is modern Turkey - blocks of offices and apartments, extensive shopping centres with state of the art architecture, wide streets that channel cars and trucks, scooters and lorries as they channel commerce into the heart of the city.
Go up many side streets though and it's like stepping back in time - back to the wattle and daub walls, the wooden plank doors, the straw roofs.
What seems to be the same everywhere you go - is the people themselves. Wherever we've been the people have been friendly, generous-hearted and extremely welcoming.
They take you into their circle of friendship with no qualms about the fact that you're a stranger - in fact, that seems to make it even more important to them that they take you to heart and do all they can to help.
Many of the Turkish people we've spoken with can speak some English or German, Russian and French and are delighted when we practise our Turkish on them! It often ends in laughter on both sides - but they appreciate the fact that you at least try!
Visually - we've experienced high mountains and low countryside, beaches and rivers - none of it has been boring and we've only scratched the surface of what is still to come.
Family is extremely important to the Turkish people. There are often 3 or more generations living together, all looking after and supporting each other. To me - it feels like it was when I was a child growing up in London.
Women here are fully integrated into the workforce alongside their male counterparts if that is their choice. They wear what clothes they want to and in many places you go there are as many women in shorts and bikinis as there are in headscarves and traditional dress. However - there are also areas where more conservative dress is expected - so - be aware!
The amount of stray animals here in Turkey is very high! Many are "adopted" by animal welfare organisations who feed them. These usually have a coloured tag in their ear to identify them. They are usually inoculated and neutered and checked regularly. Many others are simply fed and looked after by anyone and everyone.
Best bits for me?
The weather - I know that I have only experienced the good weather at this point but I can't comment on what I haven't yet experienced - that will come in due course.
The food? I'm still getting to grips with - but enjoying more than I thought I would - I'm a fussy eater, plus Diabetic. It's cheaper to eat out here than to buy the food, prepare it, cook it and then wash up afterwards!
Low cost of living - has to be a big plus! Especially as a Pensioner. We can live better here than in UK I'm sad to say.
I'm going to attach the links to the articles - with John's help, so that you can read them yourself.
<Broken link removed>
For those of you that have never been to Turkey - come and experience it. You won't be disappointed!

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Day 166
Thursday 21st April
Good morning!
It's only 10:30 and it's scorching out there! Only 22C forecast but already seems much warmer!
Although we didn't seem to do much yesterday we completed the weeks most important task as our motorhome insurer agreed to extend our green card by another three months! 😱😍. It's so unusual for a UK company to offer insurance for Turkey.
We have another change of plan too.
I've been busy planning our route to and from Cappadocia and it's clear we need at least two and more likely three weeks to fit everything in. That would clash with the arrival of friends from the UK.
So on Sunday we're driving to our friends at Sahil Karavan who will repair our rear corner panel on Monday and Tuesday.
Then we're off to Istanbul for a week or so. A visit has been top of my bucket list since travel to Syria and Iran became problematic

Day 166
Another quiet day today and therefore not a lot to report - so - I wondered if you might all be interested in a trip we made in September 2020. We had Dippy Too then, and parked her up as she couldn't swim - and we wanted to see Venice! Hope you enjoy!
We took the water bus into Venice this morning – up really early to make the most of the day before it got too busy. We watched some Cormorants fishing and then drying their outstretched wings as they basked in the sun - droplets of water glistening in the sun.
A 20 minute trip took us across the Bay, the channel is marked out by a lane of 3 tree trunks tied together in a tripod shape and sunk into the sea bed to make a line to follow.
Some of the tripods had little shrines on them – highly decorated and well looked after – other tripods had flowers attached to them like we do along motorways where people have crashed and died – worrying!! (especially for a non-swimmer!!!) To one side of us were a couple of men wading in the water as they gathered mussels, I never realised how shallow the water was!
My ankle and knee are really sore after my fall yesterday and I also seem to have strained a muscle in my left arm when I put my hands down to stop my head hitting the ground – HOWEVER – I’m not missing this trip under any circumstances!!!
Venice is wonderful! The buildings are (obviously) very old – and quite dilapidated, but in a beautiful way. You really felt you were seeing it as it was 100, 200, 300 years ago. It was less “touristy” than a lot of places and many of the back streets are completely untouched. I gather that to do repairs on the houses involves scaffolding being put onto barges so the workmen can reach!!
We took a Gondola ride (of course) and “Roberto” told us the history of Venice from it’s beginnings built on 100 islands in the Adriatic Sea 1200 years ago to present day, and also took us on a tour of “The REAL Venice” as he put it. Where the locals live rather than all the touristy spots.
He explained too about the High Tide/Equinox and the effect it had on the water levels. The main doors of the buildings are on level with the water as people would step from them straight into a boat. The lowest window (most of the buildings are 4 or even 5 floors high) is about 4 ft above the water but Roberto told us that the last Spring Equinox had taken the water to above the level of the first windows so lots of damage caused.
Later, we sat in St Mark’s Square (Piazza San Marco) at Florian’s restaurant for Brunch and a Bellini and were serenaded by a String Orchestra of Piano, Cello and Violin with the occasional Maracas thrown in too! We were just along from St. Mark’s Basilica, with it’s Byzantine mosaics and the tower with the Campanile Bell which sounded beautiful when it struck.
The Doge’s Palace was impressive - 1,000 years as the seat of power for the ruler of Venice. Destroyed by fire and rebuilt to be better than ever. As we went over the Rialto Bridge, gondolas were passing beneath our feet, the passengers waving up at us.
We criss-crossed so many canals and went up streets that were sometimes only 1 person wide that I was soon very confused as to where we were– so glad John has a better sense of direction than me!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back