700 watt suitcase generator? (1 Viewer)

Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
Could anyone answer a few questions about how useful a generator of 700 watt would be?

I've been offered the loan of a suitcase generator ( not too heavy) which may be useful if I had no gas, for that type of emergency use.

How do you work out which electrical implements you can use?
I wouldn't rely on it, as I can manage without electric hook up quite well usually.
The label says
IM800I INVERTOR GENERATOR
RATED POWER 700w
Peak power 790w
Net weight 8.5 kg
93 dB

Attachments

• IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 94

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I would say the ideal use for a small Genny is to top up the battery via EHU point while running larger appliances from an appropriate inverter---------------We have found that this system works well, having a small Honda and 3kw pure some wave inverter. You just need to consider the battery power and inverter related to the appliance being used, the batteries act as a cushion to absorb draws bigger than genny's output. Things like microwave/toaster or hair drier only draw power for a short time.
Obviously stick to LPG if more convenient.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Personally I wouldn't want a petrol generator tucked away inside my motorhome.

From experience of outboard engines and suitcase generators my advice would be that unless you love the smell of stale unleaded petrol, dont stick them in a confined space! :)

I would also question if fuel vapour and a gas pilot light are a sensible mix!
Mind you, it would sort out the hair drier issue... :whistle:

Well... obviously everyone must do as they think best, but I have to say, I carry a small Honda 1000 watt genny and a 5 litre petrol can in the boot of my Hymer 660S (directly under the nearside seat of the U shaped lounge/double bed) and there is no smell of stale petrol or its vapour.

There is NO vapour because the genny's tank filler has an air cut off valve and the can has a screw top.

I have never had any petrol fumes in my van... mind you, I have only kept it there for a few years and there were a couple of days in all that time when I wasn't living in the van.

There are many valid reasons for not wanting to carry a generator but, in my experience, with decent equipment, petrol smells/fumes and the like are not one of them.

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Well... obviously everyone must do as they think best, but I have to say, I carry a small Honda 1000 watt genny and a 5 litre petrol can in the boot of my Hymer 660S (directly under the nearside seat of the U shaped lounge/double bed) and there is no smell of stale petrol or its vapour.

There is NO vapour because the genny's tank filler has an air cut off valve and the can has a screw top.

I have never had any petrol fumes in my van... mind you, I have only kept it there for a few years and there were a couple of days in all that time when I wasn't living in the van.

There are many valid reasons for not wanting to carry a generator but, in my experience, with decent equipment, petrol smells/fumes and the like are not one of them.

Agreed.

If I was worrying about carrying a firebomb around with me, I would be more concerned about the gas tanks

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016

All my outboards/generators have (or had) thumb screw breathers on the fuel cap as well; never had one stored in a motorhome so who am I to argue. (y):)

Still wouldn't stick another one in the living area of a boat though! :D

Upvote 0

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
If you have room, and weight to spare, have it. There are things you can truly do without, but being able to charge your own batteries, either hab or vehicle, rather than sit there dead in the water , waiting for help , is worth it.

No it wont run a microwave, or a hair dryer , or a kettle, but it could be the difference between sitting there in the dark with no water , or fridge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
A valid point above, if you have no 12v the fridge will not run on gas and neither will the heater/water heater as they need 12v for the control circuits/ignition.
I overcame petrol smells by carrying mine in my back box, however I only used it once so got rid.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back