700 watt suitcase generator? (1 Viewer)

Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
Could anyone answer a few questions about how useful a generator of 700 watt would be?

I've been offered the loan of a suitcase generator ( not too heavy) which may be useful if I had no gas, for that type of emergency use.

How do you work out which electrical implements you can use?
I wouldn't rely on it, as I can manage without electric hook up quite well usually.
The label says
IM800I INVERTOR GENERATOR
RATED POWER 700w
Peak power 790w
Net weight 8.5 kg
93 dB

Attachments

• IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 92
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You are either being deliberately obtuse or have missed my point entirely

This thread was about a the value of a loaned low power portable generator, not about installing a MSW (useless for electronic items) invertor (almost certainly made in China and with a German label) and the associated second leisure battery and cabling required to feed it. Why confuse the issue?

Most manufacturers change their product ranges every few years or so, whatever the product. Moulinex were not subject to any safety recalls that I can find, unlike many cheaper invertors, and this hairdryer works perfectly well within its obvious power limitations for us to use.

PS The "expensive" electrical test was free at the charity shop where I paid ÂŁ3 for the Moulinex hairdryer
One more go and then I give up.

For the reasons I have already given I would not recommend anyone to use that hairdryer. If you want to that is up to you. I am not being obtuse or missing the point, it is just that I do not agree with your recommendation, that is all. After all, we are all entitled to our own opinion ;):D2

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
The Moulinex hairdryer concerned meets all UK, CE and BSI standards and has never been the subject of any safety recall. Which is almost certainly more than I suspect can be said for many imported cheap invertors of Chinese origin (even if the manufacturer can be identified). And Moulinex sold tens of millions of them, the solution is a compromise that works for us, and the manufacturer is still in business today.

An invertor is a preferred option, but for many, the cost or the hassle of getting a decent one (pure sine wave), a second leisure battery and having it professionally installed outweighs the benefit of taking twice as long to dry your hair once a day. The topic was the suitability of a portable loaned generator, not asking for the best solution

And when you went off topic with a specious argument ("there's a reason why they stopped making them" - after 20 years or more - and "expensive electrical tests"), I gave up relying on reason. You obviously don't like the hairdryer, or feel less tolerant in terms of compromise, which ends any discussion

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Please remember Rule 1. Just because you do not agree with my opinions does not mean that I am being obtuse or specious, and calling me those sorts of names does not make your opinions any more valid than mine

My point was that if 400W hair dryers were any good there would still be a market for them and they would therefore still be available. That is the whole point of the free market economy we live in. Better mousetraps and all that (and yes, I know that is a misquote). And the particular dryer that you recommended from ebay would have needed a test that would have probably cost more than whoever bought it paid for it. The fact that a charity shop can get a qualified electrician to test all of their donated electrical products cheaply, or more likely for free as a volunteer, does not necessarily mean that the purchaser of the ebay item would be able to find a qualified electrician to do it for that price.

I think both of those are reasoned opinions, in the sense that rely upon reason. And my wife's opinion of this when she used it all those years ago was also reliant upon her experience. They were also not "off topic" as you suggest because the OP had, in a subsequent post, specifically mentioned that they were looking to use a hair dryer.

I will now leave this one to you. I am sure the OP can make their mind up without any further "help" from either of us. But if you want to call me and my opinions some more names please feel free to do so. I am told that Coventry can be quite nice in the rain. :D

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Please remember Rule 1. Just because you do not agree with my opinions does not mean that I am being obtuse or specious, and calling me those sorts of names does not make your opinions any more valid than mine

My point was that if 400W hair dryers were any good there would still be a market for them and they would therefore still be available. That is the whole point of the free market economy we live in. Better mousetraps and all that (and yes, I know that is a misquote). And the particular dryer that you recommended from ebay would have needed a test that would have probably cost more than whoever bought it paid for it. The fact that a charity shop can get a qualified electrician to test all of their donated electrical products cheaply, or more likely for free as a volunteer, does not necessarily mean that the purchaser of the ebay item would be able to find a qualified electrician to do it for that price.

I think both of those are reasoned opinions, in the sense that rely upon reason. And my wife's opinion of this when she used it all those years ago was also reliant upon her experience. They were also not "off topic" as you suggest because the OP had, in a subsequent post, specifically mentioned that they were looking to use a hair dryer.

I will now leave this one to you. I am sure the OP can make their mind up without any further "help" from either of us. But if you want to call me and my opinions some more names please feel free to do so. I am told that Coventry can be quite nice in the rain. :D
I was not aware that having the premise for discussion being dismissed as being specious - defined in the dictionary as meaning misleading and with reasons for that premise being given - amounts to any name calling or impoliteness, albeit I thought your previous post was your last post on the subject. If the word offends you, then I unreservedly withdraw it and certainly apologise, but I wasn't name calling or being rude and I doubt you really think so either

It goes without saying that the higher the wattage, the more effective a hairdryer will be. But the original topic was about generators, and I happened to mention that low wattage hairdryers could offer a workable (albeit imperfect) compromise.

I struggle with the premise that manufacturers only redesign their products because they cease to be good. If that were the case, industry would soon be in deep trouble, Ford would still be making the Cortina and so forth

I regard your last, last, post rather intimidating. Inasmuch that if you don't get your way, you infer that anyone who disagrees with you is being rude. That is most certainly not the case, I respect your opinion, albeit that I do not agree with it on the basis of my experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I used to carry a suitcase generator around with me but hardly ever needed it.

Bear in mind that it’s an expensive source of energy, so should only be used in emergencies. Whatever you do, don’t use it to boil water. Use gas instead.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Semi useless. All you can do is charge your batteries. Everything else, kettle, hair dryer, cooker need far more power.
Individually used for larger power items in the list:

150-250 watt slow cooker
400 watt Remoska
400 watt hairdryer
500 watt hot plate/grill
650 watt travel kettle
Fridge
Computer
Tablet
TV
Radio
Satellite receiver
Phone
Cooling fan
Kindle/e-reader
Shaver
Electric toothbrush
Lights
Cordless vacuum
Power for 'blown-air' gas space heating

Quite a range of things I'd say, but I'm sure there are more... ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Individually used for larger power items in the list:

150-250 watt slow cooker hours and hours !
400 watt Remoska hours
400 watt hairdryer more heat off a candle
500 watt hot plate/grill hours
650 watt travel kettle wind up a genny for a cupper ?
Fridge gas

All the rest leisure battery. Maybe top up with genny.

Computer
Tablet
TV
Radio
Satellite receiver
Phone
Kindle/e-reader
Shaver
Electric toothbrush
Lights
Cordless vacuum

Quite a range of things I'd say, but I'm sure there are more... ;)

Well there is my take on your list.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I think we all agree that gas is better for most things, and gas supplemented with EHU is better still

Genny is very much the last resort for me, and only then if totally isolated

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Genny is very much the last resort for me, and only then if totally isolated

We had one, especially for Morocco and before I saw the light with solar. It did thousands of miles and was used only once at a meet organised by GEO and the noise annoyed me so much I sold it on soon afterwards.

They are not at all efficient at charging batteries with a normal set up - a good charger is about 25A so 300W and the rest of the 1000W charger's capacity was never used.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We had one, especially for Morocco and before I saw the light with solar. It did thousands of miles and was used only once at a meet organised by GEO and the noise annoyed me so much I sold it on soon afterwards.

They are not at all efficient at charging batteries with a normal set up - a good charger is about 25A so 300W and the rest of the 1000W charger's capacity was never used.
Ahh, solar, the best answer of all.

Trouble is I am scared to death of drilling any holes myself (hab warranty) so it is going to cost a bit to get the dealer to supply and install solar panels. And we only have space for one leisure battery.

For our purposes we can get by, we only really tour, so are never static long enough to run down the leisure batter. But lugging around the genny (seldom used) is a pain, so I may as well bite that bullet.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Trouble is I am scared to death of drilling any holes myself (hab warranty).

On the basis most on here bond the panel/s with stikaflex you need a single hole. Just one hole with a plastic box on top bonded down with stikaflex.

The only danger is hitting a wire in the roof so I very carefully drill from below, in the wardrobe, just cutting through the inner skin then have a look.

What really focusses the mind is a 70mm hole for a gas inlet/outlet.

You need to get at the inside cabling easily so into a wardrobe is best to route down to battery level and here you will see immediately if there is an ingress long before any damage is done.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Thanks Brian, looks like I have a another job to do before Summer then

The wardrobe access is a good idea, much appreciated. Is mounting the panel with Sikaflex suitable?

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
It really is that simple.
Clean roof IMG_1500.JPG
Measure and cutIMG_1502.JPG IMG_1501.JPG
Check it fitsIMG_1503.JPG
Sika into positionIMG_1506.JPG IMG_1510.JPG

I needed three glands, two for solar, one for the reversing camera (all done at the same time)

Although, tbh, once I'd bought the hole cutter, solar kit and ancillaries, it didn't work out much cheaper than letting a professional fit it...

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is mounting the panel with Sikaflex suitable?

I must confess to 4 self tappers as well but most people just use stikaflex for solar and even sat dishes. Provided you have clean abraded surfaces that stuff really does grip. You won't find any self tappers in your windscreen.

Do a search on here for other opinions.

Routing wires is the problem you just have to get very intimate with your MH, full gynaecological examination. You also get a good idea how well made it is.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Although, tbh, once I'd bought the hole cutter, solar kit and ancillaries, it didn't work out much cheaper than letting a professional fit it...

That's not right. We've had people quoted ÂŁ500/600 for solar costing ÂŁ170 off ebay.

PS neat installation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
That's not right. We've had people quoted ÂŁ500/600 for solar costing ÂŁ170 off ebay.

PS neat installation.
Are folk really paying that much for an install? Isn't it cheaper up there??
I thought the going rate was ÂŁ300(cheap 80w system) to around ÂŁ500 for a quality 140w set up.
From memory, my all in costs were around ÂŁ300 for 140w, add in a day's work (it's not a quick job;)) and you're approaching 500quid...

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That is one example, there are plenty of others offered for sale. All secondhand electrical appliance have to be inspected before use, health and safety and IEE regs. Read the health warning on the leaflet inside an aspirin packet, or the safety warnings in your vehicle handbook
Just to clarify your point above ... all secondhand electrical appliances sold commercially, ie by businesses, charity shops etc, HAVE to be tested before sale, those being sold by private individuals don't.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Just to clarify your point above ... all secondhand electrical appliances sold commercially, ie by businesses, charity shops etc, HAVE to be tested before sale, those being sold by private individuals don't.
Yes, you are correct, applies only where sold in the way of business.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
all this talk of vintage hair dryers and no mention of the kit you could buy to use the blown air heating as a dryer. close all blown air outlets bar the one you will use, plug a pipe like a hoover hose into that outlet and use the nozzle on the other end of the tube to blow dry your hair. the gas setting works well for doing this

the other option is doggy position.........no you smutty old bugger, I meant get the wife to stick her head out of the window as you drive down the road. if youve seen a dog do this, you will understand the warning to have her remove her false teeth first

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
the other option is doggy position.........no you smutty old bugger, I meant get the wife to stick her head out of the window as you drive down the road. if youve seen a dog do this, you will understand the warning to have her remove her false teeth first

Think of the children and the old people! Not to mention the fact that she would probably leap out into the car alongside us

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
As this is now a hairdryer thread ! I got one of those c1972 Moulinex 400 watt haridryers. Amazing piece of kit in my opinion. 4 pounds off ebay. Came with an untested plug. I put it into the socket and it worked. A short while later warm tepid air was blowing. I thoroughly recommend it.

Unfortunately I dont need to use it. I got it as an anniversary or birthday present for the long suffering wife. She wasnt impressed when she looked at it. Slightly less impressed when she got it working. She has short hair and it doesnt need styling. The last couple trips of at least 3 weeks she has taken the 2000 watt hairdryer and will use it if the opportunity arises but not in our van. She hates it with disdain. It is for sale if anyone wishes to annoy their wife.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Last edited:
Upvote 0

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Thanks. It's small enough to tuck away in my van under my bench seats .

Personally I wouldn't want a petrol generator tucked away inside my motorhome.

From experience of outboard engines and suitcase generators my advice would be that unless you love the smell of stale unleaded petrol, dont stick them in a confined space! :)

I would also question if fuel vapour and a gas pilot light are a sensible mix!
Mind you, it would sort out the hair drier issue... :whistle:

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I would say 700w is a bit too low, we have a 1kw genny, which is OK, but struggles with some tasks. It can just about handle the microwave, but revs up to max. The coffee machine trips it out, it can handle the electric hot plate on the hob, and the electric water heater, but not at the same time though.

We also have solar, the genny is the backup for days like today when our charge from the sun peaked at a whopping 0.6 amps. If we were out and about, we would need to plug in the genny to recharge if we had 4 or 5 days of prolonged rubbish sun input!

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Brian was that the Generator Sound off meet, you won if memory serves;)
Next one I do will be the 400 Watt hair dryers survivors meet (y) should be a quiet meet if some are to be believed:Eeek:
G

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back