4G MiFi v's Smart Phone 4G

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Zigisla, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

I am about to renew my phone contract and at the mo have a good deal on Unlimited calls, Unlimited texts and 6Gb (never got near to it) of Data. £18 with Vodafone - serviceman discount. (y) I am looking into whether I should reduce the data on my phone as I never really get near to it and get a PAYG / contract 4G data only deal with a MiFi box. Initially I thought I would keep the phone deal as I would need more data when out and about in the MH - 12 Dec:clap:, but having trawled through many a thread on this site, I see a lot of Funsters have either wifi boosters; which we probably wouldn't use very often, or 3/4G MiFi units.
    My question therefore is, what are, if any, the advantages of getting a 4G MiFi over 4G data from a phone. Should I just keep on with my current contract or change to MiFi? Your advice is invaluable as always, but please don't highjack the thread and argue with someone if they have a difference of opinion:cautious:

• Like Like x 2
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I use a simple 3G mifi unit on Three PAYG as their Feel at Home package is much cheaper to use in many European countries than other providers.

One advantage of a mifi, if you buy the right one, is the ability to use an external aerial. I was on a site in the New Forest for one night this week and I could only get a signal using an external aerial.

If you are going to use PAYG then I am not sure you would want 4G, although I guess many new devices come as 4G now but you wouldn't want to click on a video by accident and find half your allowance has gone in a flash! An unlimited contract might be best if you think you need 4G.

3. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Do you need data abroad?

If not stick with what you've got (a good deal) and tether to your phone when you need to.

If you are thinking of using abroad, I would look at three "at home" for your phone (with less data to save money) and a PAYG mifi for your browsing (if you have tablet or computer)

If you don't want to tether to tablet or computer then you can obviously use your phone for data on three.

4. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

My main usage would be in the UK - New Forest areas as well @DBK . If of course there will be such things as WiFi in the middle of the Forest, then iBoost would be the way ahead, but I cannot see that realistically. I do tether now, but didn't know whether MiFi would be better, as @DBK stated you can use an external aerial which could be a better signal. My intentions are to only use Data for whatsapp and internet to find out about local things to do etc, not streaming, music etc. Spotify can be down loaded at home and used off line.

5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We have a MiFi on 3 that is only used abroad. As DBK says the reason is cost, as much as I despise them as a company the 3 Feel at Home package is still unbeatable.

Also a lot of the phone networks won't allow you to tether things like tablets and laptops to a phone and even if you can it will eat your data at a rate of knots.

In the UK we use the data on our phones.

We've also got an iBoost but haven't had much success with it abroad. In the UK it's great.

Yes, if you want internet access and to check things like email, Facebook and Fun. Don't rely on being able to find a WiFi connection.

6. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

With most campsites or out of the way places, you will not get 4G anyway.

7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Forgot to say one advantage of a mifi is you can easily fit other sim cards, for example my phone is O2 and sometimes in the UK I have to put this in the mifi if the 3 signal is poor. I also have a Europasim which is Vodaphone Italy. I have put this in the phone once and it changed everything including the selected language to Italian! It behaves itself in the mifi though. But I could also fit a locally bought sim card in the mifi for those countries where 3 don't have an arrangement, such as Germany.

I don't have a WiFi booster although there have been a few occasions when it might have been useful but I haven't missed not having one.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

How much data do you actually need per month and how many minutes for phone calls too? If you don't need unlimited then there's not much point inpaying for it! We have a couple of Tesco monthly contracts giving us 450 mins each and 500gb data each per month, and that included 2 motorola phones too.

9. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Now, 500Gb of data per month each, is impressive, I am in awe. :whistle:

10. Minxy Girl

Sarcasm ... I feel for you ... :D It was just an example and should hae read 500mb but my tea was on the way (hubby cooking!) - if only for occasional browsing etc it would be sufficient, not everyone needs loads!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Minxy Girl

my laptop has hiccups! :LOL:

12. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Three .. 15 quid a month for 15 gig a month in our mifi. Works well in the UK and excellently in France. We have our phones but we can use whatsapp through the mifi when we're abroad and save on roaming.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have a 3 contract sim in my phone. £8.50 a month gives 200min + all you can eat texts + 500Mb data, which can be tethered. This is vastly in excess of my normal needs.
    I also have a 3 PAYGO sim in my mi-fi, 3Gb for £15 or 10Gb for £20 which I only pay for those months I am away, usually in France/Spain..
    If the OP is away in the New Forest then not only no wifi but the phone signal can be dubious as well in some places, certainly not 4G, sometimes no signal at all..

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Many thanks again you guys. Like the idea of putting phone sim in mifi. Do these units take iPhone nano sims? May well lump it and see what and how I use the 4 g net work first. May keep the phone contract rolling on for now and if not getting on with it, change then.
    Thanks again.

15. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

I don't think you can put a phone sim in a MiFi needs to be a dedicated data sim card.

16. Geordies

Geordies Funster

Zigisla asked a question which we were wondering about also. Think we prefer the idea of MiFi but would love to know more about peoples experiences about using an external aerial with MiFi, does it give a real boost to reception ? We'd go down the 3 Feel at home route, do they sell the MiFi unit or do you have to purchase that elsewhere ?

17. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

You can buy if from three or get it cheaper from eBay.

18. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Don't forget that some mobile phone contracts prohibit tethering and will block the sim if they detect it.

19. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Three do sell mifis, just make sure you get one with an external aerial socket as it does make a difference at times.

20. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

I pay £5 a Month to tether on the 3 network.