13 amp switched socket with USB charger (1 Viewer)

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
You have to be very careful about the total power draw from the device.

I can charge my tablet from some (not all) multi-devices as long as it is the only item drawing power. I can charge phone, camera, mp3 player all at the same time as they don't pull so much power. Still worth having the multi-charge device as I can charge several low pull items or a single big power puller - rather pack one device than several.
eerr not sure what a power puller is, each item has a rating on it, in amps or milliamps
A device will draw power until it is fully charged
The Anker device I mentioned above is smart, it will adjust as required to a max of 40w, [60w if you buy the big one] adjusting each USB as needed
I have burnt out small USB supply devices, they just deliver the rated output and get hot/burn if the demand is too high, unregulated, they are in effect dangerous
I have had a small 12v cig to USB melt and blacken

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The buzzing could be separate transformers working in opposition to each other , I'd try another socket and take the buzzing one back using words like ,fire risk etc

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
eerr not sure what a power puller is, each item has a rating on it, in amps or milliamps
A device will draw power until it is fully charged
The Anker device I mentioned above is smart, it will adjust as required to a max of 40w, [60w if you buy the big one] adjusting each USB as needed
I have burnt out small USB supply devices, they just deliver the rated output and get hot/burn if the demand is too high, unregulated, they are in effect dangerous
I have had a small 12v cig to USB melt and blacken

Yes the Anker will give up to 2.4 amps per port with a max overall of 4amps. My Galaxy needs 2 amps which would leave 2 amps over the other 4 ports. The Galaxy is what I call a power puller. If it doesn't get what it wants it just doesn't charge and displays a warning message. I agree you have to match the charger to the device or you are asking for trouble.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
USB Socket.JPG
Mine is rated at 2A......

USB Socket.JPG

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Funsters,
this isn't a motorhome question but I'm sure someone out there can help -
I have just installed a 13amp socket with USB charger.
After I plugged in a 'phone and an iPad I noticed it buzzed and got quite hot - hotter than I would have expected. The ordinary plug-in USB chargers don't seem to get hot.
Is this to be expected or should I maybe take it back?
The socket is from Screfix and is BG (British General).

I recently installed one from Screwfix and it seems fine. No heat and no noise. Suggest you take it back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
I have two LAP sockets from Screwfix installed at home (not in M/H) and they work fine no heat problems or noises. I would take yours back for an enchange as it sounds iffy. I do understand from talking to people in the supply chain that a lot of company's had problems up front developing this equipment as they had heat & fire problems before they found a way of fitting all that electronics in a small space with these problems.
Also you may find devices take three times longer to charge than with the original charger, as this is my experience.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Hi Funsters,
this isn't a motorhome question but I'm sure someone out there can help -
I have just installed a 13amp socket with USB charger.
After I plugged in a 'phone and an iPad I noticed it buzzed and got quite hot - hotter than I would have expected. The ordinary plug-in USB chargers don't seem to get hot.
Is this to be expected or should I maybe take it back?
The socket is from Screfix and is BG (British General).
I got one from b&q and it will be going back as the face plate is not flat indicating components within are under pressure
I bought LAP from screwfix instead and they are sweet £9.99 2.1 amps
image.jpeg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Do they only come in white 'so yesterdays colour' :LOL:
There are more expensive options David for those feeling flush :LOL:
I prefer the sound of under a tenner cheap as chips. I think they are missing something in the marketing though by not incorporating "motorhome" in the listing @ £99.99 :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back