Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Personally I think you are wasting your time without having a known healthy, fully charged battery installed but thats easy for me to say from the comfort of my armchair!

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Oh dear, I have been watching this thread as I am about to fit a GEL battery and also upgrade my charger to one that can accommodate a GEL battery. What have I set myself up for.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Personally I think you are wasting your time without having a known healthy, fully charged battery installed but thats easy for me to say from the comfort of my armchair!
that was why i said to jump from the starter battery about a page ago

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
Guys, bad news. The battery charged up full in 20hrs. I just put it on and tried the light and one light stayed on. But as soon as I tried the pump.......all 12v system shut down again. Bit Gutted :(

At least you know that you have eliminated a poor battery and the good news is that something has improved because of it.
What does the panel lights say about the battery charge?

OP
OP
Mark33

Mark33

Free Member
Feb 22, 2017
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Ci Carioca
Exp
At least you know that you have eliminated a poor battery and the good news is that something has improved because of it.
What does the panel lights say about the battery charge?
4 lights......fully charged

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
I think I would be looking for a dry or dirty connection, possibly between the battery and the low voltage relay. It could be on the earth or positive side.

On the back of the PCB there were a couple of plugs, one looked liked it came straight from the battery box. Disconnect the battery and pull the plug out of the socket on the PCB and give the terminals a good clean, reassemble and see if that makes any difference

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
Apologies but I have to go to bed as I have an early start in the morning.

If there is a leisure battery isolator, I would also check the connections on that. A quick check on line shows the habitation panel can be re-set so worth checking your owners manual and re-setting the panel.

Online checks also turned up a few CI's with similar symptoms to yours and the solution unfortunately seemed to be fitting a new PCB.

Good luck and hope you find the source of the issue quickly and easily. (y)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I was gonna say the same as cornish boy, perhaps its a dry soldered connection on the board somewhere

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
No Solution, But I had experience of a Friends Caravan, with the Standard "Plugin Systems" unit, which was giving trouble. After hours of "p8888ng" about. we finally discovered a connector at the back of the unit which had burned out, but was still just making a connection, this fooled the unit into indicating power, but because there was no full connection Nothing worked.?, Perhaps scrutinising the connectors?.

OP
OP
Mark33

Mark33

Free Member
Feb 22, 2017
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Ci Carioca
Exp
Folks, I spent time last night looking for faults but could not see anything. It was dark so I had to give up eventually. I am away in the motorhome all weekend now but when I get back I am going to disconnect the board and try go through it with a fine comb. Thanks for the support and advice, its all really appreciated. And I'll try if I can reset that control panel. I had the cover off and its really just 4-core control wire attaching to the panel with a multitude of wires/connections behind in the wall.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Check all plugs are firmly pushed in on the main unit by removing and reinserting and check there are no heat marks to the plug and socket or pins. Then remove each fuse one by one checking for a burned or oxidized blade, Clean with wire wool or similar, Test with meter.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Good morning folks...

Been following thread because I find this stuff educational; if I ever have issues at some point....

Anyway ... I am by no means an electrical engineer... But if this problem occurs when you turn pump on.... Could it be a short in that circuit somewhere?... Either in the panel gubbins or between panel and pump relay?..

Edit: seems like you're looking at that as I typed this...

Ginge3685

Free Member
Jun 5, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
K
I had a similar problem with my elderly Pilote, the symptoms of the power failing when something is turned on is simply a bad connection. I fixed mine by cleaning the negative connection on the chassis from the leisure batteries.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I had a similar problem with my elderly Pilote, the symptoms of the power failing when something is turned on is simply a bad connection. I fixed mine by cleaning the negative connection on the chassis from the leisure batteries.
Only just seen this thread but my thoughts are the same. I had a similar problem on an AutoTrail which turned out to be a bad earth.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Only just seen this thread but my thoughts are the same. I had a similar problem on an AutoTrail which turned out to be a bad earth.

Likewise, our CI needed its Earth connection sorting at one point, around the time of the problems I mentioned above.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Now that the battery itself has been ruled out as the 'culprit' it would appear that it is a short or bad connection somewhere ... not gonna be an easy one to find as it's just a matter of snuffling round the wiring and checking everything time consuming and boring as hell but necessary ... sorry!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Something Else often overlooked, and becoming even more of an issue with the NEW CANBUS vehicles, where extremely small currents are involved.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
Likewise, our CI needed its Earth connection sorting at one point, around the time of the problems I mentioned above.

I must admit that I had presumed having looked at the photo of the rear of the PCB with live and negative battery connections that the habitation system was not using a chassis earth but was based on a CANBUS type multiplex system.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the habitation system (or parts of) use the chassis as an earth bus.

I could understand cleaning a chassis/engine block earth if there was any reason to think the alternator or starter battery was linked to an issue but would not have considered searching for a chassis earth point for the habitation system.

I glean something new everyday on here, thats why I find this forum invaluable.. (y)

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Just a thought.
Have you scraped clean the inside of the battery clamps?
They may look clean but may have a high resistance glaze. Particularly the negative terminal.
Problem is that it is still possible to get voltage readings until you put a load on, even a small light.
Also, the EHU and the engine running will feed into the system at the PSU, so the panel wouldn't see the fault.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Do you have a solar panel? If so I would try disconnecting the solar panel and battery .then reconnect the battery then connect the solar panel in that order. Then try it. I'm no expert by any means. I'm about to do some work on mine and this is something that has come up. It should only take you a couple of minutes to do.

OP
OP
Mark33

Mark33

Free Member
Feb 22, 2017
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Ci Carioca
Exp
Folks
If anyone is still following, I managed to get the PCB boards out of the fusebox...images attached. I cannot see any signs of dry joints. Can anyone advise of how to test the components or maybe what to try. I cannot find anything else wrong. All terminals look good and no signs of heat or oxidisation. Again, any help to go on is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4599.JPG
    IMG_4599.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4600.JPG
    IMG_4600.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Mark33

Mark33

Free Member
Feb 22, 2017
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Ci Carioca
Exp
Folks, amateur status confirmed here. I went under the motorhome to trace the cables from the leisure battery and discovered another battery!!!!
Apologies!!! Now this seems to be linked to leisure battery under seat. Could this battery be my problem?
Not sure to be embarrassed or happy :tmi:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back