1000 w invertor

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by alcorn54, Feb 3, 2011.

1. alcorn54

alcorn54 Read Only Funster

Hi
    I have had another x 2 115 leisure batteries fitted along with x 2 80w solar panels,making 3 leisure batteries in total,4 with vehicle battery.

My question is,I currently have a 350w inverter but its not powerful enough to run our small Microwave 750 ,if I bought a 1000 w inverter would the current 12v socket wiring be strong enough to plug it straight into ,or would I need to run wires direct to the batteries which are currently wired in parallel .

Thanks in advance Alan

2. welsh winger

welsh winger Read Only Funster

On our last van we had a 1000w inverter, it was not up to the start up current when you first switched the mirco oven on.

Nick

3. Squire

Squire Read Only Funster

Hi Alan - that's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string because we don't know the spec of your present 12v wiring - the thickness of the cable nor the distance from the battery, both of which are crucial to your question.

However, having said that, my experience of OE 12v socket wiring is that they are generally inadequate and it's likely that it will need upgrading. But that's only a guess ....

4. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

1000 watts/12 volts = 83.3 amps So starter cable might work. I would say forget it it's not practical.:Eeek:

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

And it gets worse, that would flatten one battery in 5/10 mins. That 110Ah rating is only for 10A sort of load.

And WORSE, 160W of solar power, probably flat on roof = 100W, that's absolute steaming hot sun 8A back in.

So on a single battery flatten it in 10 mins then 12 BRIGHT hours to charge.

The numbers do not look good at all.

6. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

We have a 1200 watt inverter and 300 watt battery with 650 watt microwave but even that struggles to cope on full power, the answer I found was to link the engine battery to the domestic and run the engine when the micro is on.

The battery link is done with starter cables and a heavy duty connector, fortunately the power leads from the engine were already built into the wiring and the connector was under the driver seat.

This comes with a warning, on the fiat base and suspect other makes there is a 70 amp fuse built into the battery positive connector and if I forget to disconnect when starting the engine it can blow the fuse. other than that there is no problems.

Doug...

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

What a load of doom and gloom artists:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Mount 1000 watt inverter as near to batteries as possible using heavy starter/battery type cable then you will be able to heat a sausage roll or two :thumb:forget your Sunday roast dinner
    Geo

8. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I always believed the actual consumption of a microwave oven was twice the stated ovens power (750 watts model =1500w actual usage). Would not a Halogen Oven be a better prospect?

9. Terry

Terry Funster

1000 W INVERTER will not fire up,so no sausage rolls :cry:

That is about right :thumb:
    terry

10. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

we do it with genny's

We do not have these problems Geo do we? we have 4 kw genny built in and we run our 1,700 watt micro wave.. trust the Americans to have bigger ones. But I have a 1,500 watt Sterling pure sinwave invertor and only run things like the 230v tv or DVD.. mainly used as part of my battery charging equipment.

But I doubt that a 1000 watt being used on a micro wave would do the batteries much good.

I have massive thick cables the size of my thumb and the invertor is very close to the batteries.

Bob:Blush:

11. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

does that not rather depend on how your rating your inverter
    Im talking a genuine 1000w continuous not a 500 rated at 1000

12. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Would it not be the safest and cheapest and maybe the best option for you to get a 2kw or 2.5 kw pure sine wave genny and run your 750w microwave from that........or will a 2kw..{I think the max output is about 1600 to 1800 watt on continuous}......not be big enough...as you can pick up pure sinewave gennies for around £350 :Wink:

That will cheer up the anti genny brigade.....
    Hey you lot the gennies seem to be getting more popular over here in France and getting cheaper in the French shops ...Whoooops have they seen the light or do they it is think it is better to join them than fight them ???????
    or is because a lot of the Aires that was free are starting to charge....3 euros per 1 hour electric Mmmmm
    Mel:thumb:

13. Terry

Terry Funster

Yep Geo you would need the 1000 w with a boost / peak of say 1800 w / 2000 w :thumb:
    That would still kill the batts quick -
    Dougs idea to run the engine whilst it is on sounds best :thumb: or genny or just use on hook up :thumb: Bin it :Eeek::Rofl1: we only use the micro at home for my milky coffee and cooking frozen peas :Rofl1:
    terry

14. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

:thumb:

and a waste of valuable payload .. plus diesel to tote it about.

15. alcorn54

Thanks a lot

Bloody hell I don't think ill bother :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: Thanks for all the replies I think ill stick to gas of site and only use the little 750 microwave when I'm hooked up,that's my walls microwave sausages out the window:Rofl1::Rofl1:.:thumb: I was told if I bought a 1000w inverter it would run a 750w microwave no probs by the guy in Maplins:Doh::Doh:but by all your replies it obviously wont,I'm glad I checked here before i bought it . oh well :Blush::Blush:!! ill leave it as is. Alan

16. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Alan,

Glad you have made your decision, but to return to your first post, you mentioned a 350W inverter, then asked if you could plug a 1,000W inverter into a standard 12V socket. Do we assume from this that you currently plug a 350W inverter into the standard 12V socket?

If so, I suggest you should desist. A 350W inverter supplying its full power output will draw roughly 30 amps (350/12). Unless you have some very special wiring to your sockets, this will fry the circuit. Most motorhome 12V sockets are rated at 10 amps. So, the most that the 12V socket will support is 120 watts, and even then, you will suffer from voltage drop owing to the thin cabling.

If I have misunderstood your post, forgive me, but if I'm right, the 350W inverter should be wired directly to the leisure batteries with some thick cable.

Philip

17. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Alan he could be right if it is a 1000 w with a 1800 w peak :thumb: Lot of cash for a few bangers :Rofl1:
    terry

18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yip.. not a good 'bang to buck' ratio

mind you, I've seen some right old bangers at shows :Rofl1:

19. alcorn54

Thanks

No your right ,I had it on my boat and it was wired into system but it was never used and is now just sitting in the garage as the only thing i could get to work on it was my tv. I wont bother with an invertor at all now like I said looks like to much hassle and the last thing I want is to fry my 12v system this is exactly why I asked ?? Thank you :thumb::thumb:

20. alcorn54

Very funny we have here a poet and he really dosnt know it !!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: