‘3’ unlimited Sim card & Roaming (1 Viewer)

Leisure man

Free Member
Feb 19, 2018
Funster No
I have just received my ‘3’ network unlimited Sim card. Installed in MiFi and working okay. If I wish to go abroad do I have to activate roaming, If so how would I do that in a MiFi unit? I will not be using it in a phone. Thanks.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Usually access settings by entering the wifi setup from a browser by typing 192.168.8.1 and then using admin and admin as password to access dial up settings to allow roaming. You will probably be limited to around 20Gb roaming.

Upvote 0
May 2, 2021
Selby, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail F70
Exp
LOL Sad to Say it Wont Work in Knaresborough no data at all on the campsite!! Vodaphone is good lol
roaming should be automatic although data is capped at 20 GB so it may be better to download onto a "stick " any movies you want , also amazon fire stick has recommended as well

Upvote 1

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Similar to how you do it on a phone go into settings and turn roaming on.
How you do it depends on the Mifi they don't have a standard operating systems like phones.
Ones with a display can be done via the switch buttons, a lot have an app you can download to your phone. All of then you can get into the settings via a Web browser.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Which MIFI have you got, my previous Huawei e5577 , you toggled on the mifi screen to turn on roaming.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
3 is not very user friendly when roaming, it's partner networks are restricted & slow so you often need to change carriers even when you find a better one the speed is still restricted. Also when you move areas it often doesn't log on so you have to do a manual search for carriers.

About the worst network for roaming but I've been suffering it with a Superdrug sim for the unlimited roaming data.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
So, should you turn off your van's Smarty (3) network Huawei 5577 router "roaming" whilst on the Portsmouth-Santanader ferry to Spain to avoid the ship's scammy mobile data charges? Or would it be enough to leave it on whilst the van is unoccupied on the ship's car deck during the crossing?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
So, should you turn off your van's Smarty (3) network Huawei 5577 router "roaming" whilst on the Portsmouth-Santanader ferry to Spain to avoid the ship's scammy mobile data charges? Or would it be enough to leave it on whilst the van is unoccupied on the ship's car deck during the crossing?
Should be OK to leave on as there will be nothing connected to using data but they do use a bit logging on so to be absolutly safe turn it off.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
LOL Sad to Say it Wont Work in Knaresborough no data at all on the campsite!! Vodaphone is good lol
roaming should be automatic although data is capped at 20 GB so it may be better to download onto a "stick " any movies you want , also amazon fire stick has recommended as well
Yes. .we're were on the site there last week...not drop of data signal on phone on 3 network...some signal using mifi if I put my phone sim into it.. had to tether to my wife's apple phone on O2 to use Firestick.:cry::cry:

Upvote 1
Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
if you have 3 unlimited they have introduced a cap of 10gig a month when roaming or £5 a day if you want more, which is why I will be looking for a new contract when this one expires.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
We use 2 phones, one on vodaphone network, other on EE , van on 3 via mifi..All on 30 day contracts, so. no penalty for shutting down any of them.

When we get to Spain and Portugal early next year and to avoid all the roaming costs , capping, throttling of data speed etc , we will just buy local Sims.....EG in Portugal , possibly NOS sim at around 1 euro per day for unlimited data...Spain , yet to explore what's available.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Leisure man

Free Member
Feb 19, 2018
Funster No
if you have 3 unlimited they have introduced a cap of 10gig a month when roaming or £5 a day if you want more, which is why I will be looking for a new contract when this one expires.
Will keep an eye on it and report back.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since 1973
I think you will find it is now only 12GB (Thanks to Brexit) and £5 per day (or part off - from when you buy it until midnight UK time) for unlimited

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since 1973
3 is not very user friendly when roaming, it's partner networks are restricted & slow so you often need to change carriers even when you find a better one the speed is still restricted. Also when you move areas it often doesn't log on so you have to do a manual search for carriers.

About the worst network for roaming but I've been suffering it with a Superdrug sim for the unlimited roaming data.
Have just returned from France - Italy - Austria and Germany roaming with 3 Three sims - all worked perfectly - Limit is 12GB (Used to be more but thanks to Brexit it is no more) per sim although I did buy the unlimited for 1 day on one of the sims at £5

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Leisure man

Free Member
Feb 19, 2018
Funster No
Yes a bad signal on the campsites but fine at home and bought it for data roaming only. I asked repeatedly about caps on data, nothing mentioned so will report back on that.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Have just returned from France - Italy - Austria and Germany roaming with 3 Three sims - all worked perfectly - Limit is 12GB (Used to be more but thanks to Brexit it is no more) per sim although I did buy the unlimited for 1 day on one of the sims at £5
I used 110 GB on my Superdrug one on our recent trip to France & Spain.

Upvote 0

Chris CM

Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I have a Huawei MiFi and Smarty Unlimited data sim (part of 3) and it’s limited to 12gb when abroad. The problem I have with it is that the data just seems to disappear within 2 or 3 days! I’ve tried switching everything’s Wi-Fi off when not actually using data but it still just goes! In contrast my phone is on EE with a 100gb/month contract and at present EE are allowing use of the full 100gb, I have no problem with “disappearing” data and I find that 100gb is plenty for me, though of course we’re all different. Also the phone seems to get much better reception than the MiFi despite an external antenna. I intend to cancel the Smarty sim when I get back to the UK and rely on the phone’s hot spot from now on.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have a Huawei MiFi and Smarty Unlimited data sim (part of 3) and it’s limited to 12gb when abroad. The problem I have with it is that the data just seems to disappear within 2 or 3 days! I’ve tried switching everything’s Wi-Fi off when not actually using data but it still just goes! In contrast my phone is on EE with a 100gb/month contract and at present EE are allowing use of the full 100gb, I have no problem with “disappearing” data and I find that 100gb is plenty for me, though of course we’re all different. Also the phone seems to get much better reception than the MiFi despite an external antenna. I intend to cancel the Smarty sim when I get back to the UK and rely on the phone’s hot spot from now on.
Are you going by what the Mifi is reporting or your sim account?
The Mifi will report data being used every time you connect to it even if you are not using any data but it's normally only a 100 mb or so a day.

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
I used Vodafone with my mifi for several years. Worked perfectly all over Europe. Sadly Brexit and the return of roaming charges has now capped data usage. As I streamed all my TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc…data capping has scuppered me. Currently on a campsite near Estepona with reasonable WiFi but, of course, cannot connect to iPlayer etc… via local routers.
Anybody discovered a good data only sim in Spain?
Or used VPN ?

Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2020
Lightwater
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2007
I have just received my ‘3’ network unlimited Sim card. Installed in MiFi and working okay. If I wish to go abroad do I have to activate roaming, If so how would I do that in a MiFi unit? I will not be using it in a phone. Thanks.
Try logging on to the 3 web site to activate roaming if required. My 3 SIM worked fine when I was in Greece without registering back in August!

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2016
Nr Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 89
Exp
Since 2012

Fine to use aboard in Europe but beware of the 'Fair usage policy'. If you want to use it for TV or a lot of surfing the net, forget it as you can soon use you 'Capped Data Allowance' probably , purely as an example thee maybe four episodes of one of your soap's and then capped, no data until the next month. For 4G Hubs or MiFi Dongles get a unlimited Sim in the country you are visiting, Spain in our case and then on those winter but warm nights you can watch endless TV.

The other alternative is a Sat Dish and Intelsat 907 Decoder with about 9 UK TV Channels.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back