£1 = € 1

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by scotjimland, Dec 21, 2008.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

This is really bad news for those who are going abroad next year, if the present trend continues it may well become non-viable for some on a tight budget.. :Sad:

Where will it all end.. we should have joined the Euro when we were in a position of strength .. too late now I fear..

2. Castaway

Castaway Funster

I agree that we should have joined the Euro years ago but we're both wrong as obviously the Government know best and have the country's interest at heart. NOT!

3. Kon tiki

Kon tiki Read Only Funster

As somebody going away on the 1st Jan. we are thinking of doing the opposite to what we normally do & stock the van with as much food & drink before we go & come back empty. This goes against everything we have ever done before, we would normally take just enough food & drink to last for the journey down & then fill every nook & cranny for the return trip :RollEyes:

4. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

The Euro

GBP/EUR= 1.072
    Updated every 15 minutes | View disclaimer

actually the pound is now recovering. With the french showing they Are in reccession And Auchan about to reveal a profits warning this will devalue the euro, the pound will rise steadily from the ashes. the economists predict it will be slow but progressive.

the best way to do your money us with a naionwide card, they give you the exchange rate for the day you purchase.

wont stp me going, its still in parrity cheaper on the continent, just, :Doh:

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I am not really clever enough to know what the real benefits or disadvantages of joining the Euro are. But I would vote against joining. Why? I don't really know, I would vote against even if it meant being worse off.

I just like the idea of being different, I am a proud to be British I have never felt "European" I travel extensively on the continent and when I do I am a Brit abroad, I am a visitor, I feel like a visitor even when made most welcome like we almost always are.

Having our own money, our own law makers and our own sense of pride and identity is fundamental to me. Long live the £ and the lb and the penny :Smile:

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Looking at it a slightly different way.

If people are discouraged from going on holiday abroad then more money should be spent in this country - helping our economy.

Graham

7. hereford bull

hereford bull Read Only Funster

i feel jim there are far more powerfull people further up the ladder that are plotting against everything you just said.Any way im going to tenerife on boxing day and the first few days ill be spending the eoros i brought back from last summer at 1.25euros after that ill start moaning

8. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

I would second that, only problem seems to be we have to import nearly everything so that is going to put pressure on prices if the pound keeps falling.

9. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

That sums it up for me perfectly:thumb:

10. Reveuse

Reveuse Read Only Funster

Yes but you can take consolation from the fact that it's far worse news for those who live here but whose savings still live in the UK! N'ere mind eh, at least the aires are free
    :Rofl1:

11. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

But food, fuel and beer are not. :cry:

Ralph

12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I think that is caused by 26 miles of water.

When I've worked in offices in EU and see people pick up a phone and switch Belgium/France/Germany instantly ( not to mention chatting to me in perfect English ) my jaw drops. But that is how they grew up.

French/German in 50s teach was "Learn all the verbs on pages 5 to 10 for tomorrow OR ELSE". Naturally I failed French and German. This wasn't a method of teaching a language it was a method of deterring people from enjoying anything foreign. I hope they do it better today.

I'm not proud to be British. We *were* great once but fought two world wars, got greedy and lazy and now we simply are not at all great.

Brian.

13. Reveuse

:cry: no funnily enough i'd spotted that too :cry:

14. N Luyetund

N Luyetund Deleted User

me neither Jim but I'm very clear about my identity... I'm English!

Thanks to Nationwide I'm not at the mercy of the money changers otherwise there'd be a strong incentive to vote euro

I don't need the £ or the inch etc. ...I'm still English! :thumb:

Other Euro countries don't seem to have a problem with their nationality... the French are certainly no less French:Rofl1:

15. Reveuse

Francs may be long gone but they're not forgotten, supermarkets always (or nearly always) give the franc equivalent of the euro price on the shelf labels and at the bottom of your till receipt tells you what you spent in francs. Maybe they're still not quite convinced the euro is here to stay or not:wine:

16. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

And me :thumb::BigGrin:

17. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I'm English, grew up with LSD, feet, inches, pounds and ounces. I am NOT comfortable with the metric system, I refuse to embrace it, my workshop is full of imperial machines, micrometers imperial as are my taps and dies, naturally I have some metric but pref ro work with what is ingrained into me. When the govenments plan to devalue the £ succeeds in parity with the euro we will accept it and lose billions of pounds off our assets overnight. Thank goodness I have nowt to lose. God help those of you who are reling on savings. I under stand MPG, LPM does not compute nor does L per 100 KM, roads are in miles signage in miles speeds in miles, all we currently have is a mixed system that is neither fish nor fowl. It does not work. We will be expected to drive on the otherside of the road next. an internationally recognised MOT would be a usefull step forward but too easy and usefull to ever happen. Rant over.
    Happy Christmas everyone.
    [​IMG]

18. N Luyetund

N Luyetund Deleted User

Oh Yes it does!

:BigGrin:

I'll try and remember to tell when it's safe to take your head out of the sand:Rofl1::Rofl1:

19. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

So how many miles per litre do you do? was is 17stone in modern measurement.
    it is not a case of head in the sand, I can see it, just don't like it. It is change for the sake of it without good reason. why is timber sold in 2.4 not 2.5 lengths, because the timebermills still cut it to imperial lengths. Our measuring systems and Language are part of our national identity, it is what makes us who we are, awkward, yes, belligerent, yes guilty as charged but not head in the sand, more Custer's last stand, hee hee.

20. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Well we did join Jim. But it was never going to work out as long as we kept on picking and choosing which 'rules' we were willing to accept, and ditching those we didn't like. First thing 'brits' soon picked up on was the price of booze 'n fags across the Channel and started 'shopping' big time.

So in steps the State and starts confiscating "illegal imports" off "smugglers" coming back into the UK, not to mention stealing their vehicles as well.

Actually it wasn't that the prices were cheap in Belgium....just that UK Government had slapped so much damn tax and hiked up prices over here making it prohibitively expensive. Like most things in the UK.....bloody expensive.

Then of course we are also subservient to the USA and constantly sucking up to them all the time. They have a geographical problem with Europe in that most don't even know where it is, let alone it's existence. So basically we are torn between the two.

Could we have coped without joining the EU? Look to Switzerland for your answers.