New Year in Spain - Wintering (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
So 90 days is around €1,900. What would the electric costs be for 90 days for the average MH user? Fridge, heating, TV and lighting?

That seems quite a high 90 day average? That would be about £21 a day, where are you getting that price from may I enquire?

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
That seems quite a high 90 day average? That would be about £21 a day, where are you getting that price from may I enquire?

Just looked at one of the sites mentioned website, put in dates and it generated a price of €1,870 for 91 days. Just looked again and it does include 2kw of electricity per day.
We are looking to do this 'follow the sun' in a year or twos time so info gathering at the moment and very nieve on the subject.

What would you suggest a 90 day rate would be?

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i think raco is 15 per day for 90 days or more i will be back there possible tomorrow just north of zaragoza now
as was said regarding villasol yes it does honor acsi but the leci is extra and remember if u r there for a long period all you have on the pitch is leci no drainage no water you have to pull off for that or use buckets lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
hya for 90 days you should expect to pay 14 to 16 euros a day no elec...... elec we use about 1..to1.5 euros a day but our water heating is gas.. which we get a repsol bottle

Now that's an interesting point, I currently have a single gaslow 11kg and a 6kg calor lite. I know I could go off site to refill the gaslow but that can be a pain if your all nicely pitched. It would seem to make more sense to ditch the lite and get hold of a repsol cylinder to just exchange. Then use gas for heating maybe over the elec maybe? I could imagine using a good few kw's to keep a fan heater going when it's chilly...maybe?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
i think raco is 15 per day for 90 days or more i will be back there possible tomorrow just north of zaragoza now
as was said regarding villasol yes it does honor acsi but the leci is extra and remember if u r there for a long period all you have on the pitch is leci no drainage no water you have to pull off for that or use buckets lol

I think our short list is going to come down to Raco or La Torretta. They both seem to be well located, good prices, have great reviews on here and trip advisor etc. Just need to decide how long we're going for and if it's going to be over Christmas or not.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
There are plenty of campsites on the coast but many will also be full during January and February so your choice will be limited. If you have a site in mind then I would see what the rates are through one of the club's although you will have to pay up front.
We have booked a site through the Camping Club but because we are staying for 156 days the rate is £7.35 a night.

Mike
Dare I ask why so long ? What if it's rubbish ?

Or you get bored ?

Serious questions :)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Dare I ask why so long ? What if it's rubbish ?

Or you get bored ?

Serious questions :)
Because this will be the 10th year in a row that we have stayed there. We find plenty to do such as a game of golf every week, places to visit, lots of restaurants to try, local markets to wander around. We can cycle to a few places with a nice harbour being only 3 miles away where you can sit and have a coffee for 1 euro. Last year we paid 1 euro a day for a TV connection which included all the usual English channels and also good WiFi.

Mike

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
HI again, thanks for all the help and information, I now at least feel more informed about how we are going to go about this. Having been looking for most of the day, (nowt else to do in the rain), my heads spinning! What has become apparent is as stated earlier in the thread, many campsites have not set 2016 prices yet and can thus appear to be booked up when using on-line booking system.

Either chancing it on ACSI or going it alone (not using the Caravan Club or C&CC booking service) without doubt seems the most cost effective way. Booking fees aside, the clubs seem to be singing from completely different hymn sheets when it comes to pricing. Here's an example.

Site Camping Castillo de Banos, 1st Dec to 31st, 30 days booked through C&CC Winter Sites= £279

Booked direct with site on-line, same dates, = 123.75!!!! er what??? :rolleyes: oh, that's euros by the way not pounds sterling :eek: and it includes electric min 5 amp.

This may not turn out to be the same with all sites making a comparison, but it has been with the past half dozen I've looked at.

Food for thought!

Cheers for all the help, Dave and Ginny (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Booked Almafra with club,,,8 th dec to 14 th feb about £860 or there abouts. Ferry about £550 return so not an expensive break....There will be a bit of electic to pay for..Worked out at about 1 euro a day last year...BUSBY:):):)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Now that's an interesting point, I currently have a single gaslow 11kg and a 6kg calor lite. I know I could go off site to refill the gaslow but that can be a pain if your all nicely pitched. It would seem to make more sense to ditch the lite and get hold of a repsol cylinder to just exchange. Then use gas for heating maybe over the elec maybe? I could imagine using a good few kw's to keep a fan heater going when it's chilly...maybe?
You can buy a Spanish bottle at The Rastro for 8 euros..BUSBY

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Booked Almafra with club,,,8 th dec to 14 th feb about £860 or there abouts. Ferry about £550 return so not an expensive break....There will be a bit of electic to pay for..Worked out at about 1 euro a day last year...BUSBY:):):)

They weren't all more expensive that I looked at, some were just a bit more and others broke even. Just some came in considerably more expensive which I couldn't quite understand. Just shows it pays to do the homework...on 'Fun' :)

Deleted User
They weren't all more expensive that I looked at, some were just a bit more and others broke even. Just some came in considerably more expensive which I couldn't quite understand. Just shows it pays to do the homework...on 'Fun' :)

I would be very suspicious of the quote on the Castillo de Banos website, I would suspect that the price quoted( I got the same result) is for the pitch and electricity only and a price per person will be on top of that.

We have been doing winter trips in Spain and Portugal for 10 years and have only ever booked on one site because there was only one pitch that we could get our 5'er on, other than that we have never had a problem.

We don't go to Benidorm though:).........I must admit last winter did seem a lot busier and especially on the popular sites it is probably advisable to book but personally I would do it direct with the site, don't like paying up front!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

Arrived at Almafra in feb 2014 and site was full,,so were most in the area. Because i was a regular she squeezed me in a corner until a pitch became empty..Shall always book now in the winter. Sites are emptier before xmas. BUSBY.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
as Busby says you can get a gas bottle at the Rasto but you will have to fill it and they are bl..dy heavy if you have no transport...as we didnt take our car last year and found that some campsites will loan you a bottle with deposit as long as you buy their gas.... saves going to get a refill ....

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Because this will be the 10th year in a row that we have stayed there. We find plenty to do such as a game of golf every week, places to visit, lots of restaurants to try, local markets to wander around. We can cycle to a few places with a nice harbour being only 3 miles away where you can sit and have a coffee for 1 euro. Last year we paid 1 euro a day for a TV connection which included all the usual English channels and also good WiFi.

Mike
last winter I stopped on La Torretta, 15euros a day 30+ included elec AND tv included, wifi extra but just go the market for a sim.
Dave

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
as Busby says you can get a gas bottle at the Rasto but you will have to fill it and they are bl..dy heavy if you have no transport...as we didnt take our car last year and found that some campsites will loan you a bottle with deposit as long as you buy their gas.... saves going to get a refill ....

I use my toilet Cassette trolley to collect mine from Alfaz. If i had orange bottle instead of Cepsa i could change it on Almafra. BUSBY.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
last winter I stopped on La Torretta, 15euros a day 30+ included elec AND tv included, wifi extra but just go the market for a sim.
Dave[/QUOT

Had you pre-booked Busman and what month would that have been? There seems to be differing opinions as to whether it's necessary to book or not. Being the worrying overly cautious type, I'd probably prefer to book once we have dates sorted, in which case is that better to email/ring and book or use the site web site booking system. I'm probably looking at La Torretta by the way. Dave

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Dave, one thing to remember is last year was not as warm, and many left earlier and headed south chasing the sun. :whistle:
But the year before people stayed on the Costa Blanca because if was good and no need to move and all the sites were full.:LOL:
Two years ago we stayed on site until May 5th, and last year we left before Easter as we are will this winter. :eek:
So if you want our sunny pitch, ;) be there before the 27th March. :ROFLMAO:
Good luck with your search, and we might bump into somewhere, or even in Portugal. (y) Bob.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Had you pre-booked Busman and what month would that have been? There seems to be differing opinions as to whether it's necessary to book or not. Being the worrying overly cautious type, I'd probably prefer to book once we have dates sorted, in which case is that better to email/ring and book or use the site web site booking system. I'm probably looking at La Torretta by the way. Dave
I'm not even sure Torretta take bookings?, I just turned up end of Nov and left 2nd Jan and headed off Marocco way. when I left it was pretty full BUT there were people moving on all the time, 4 o'clock club in the bar and you can find out anything you need to know, even get your gas refill bottles delivered to your van by mobility scooter lol. Don't over worry tho, with the likes of UK Bill etc there will be loads of feedback nearer the time.
Dave

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Hi Dave, one thing to remember is last year was not as warm, and many left earlier and headed south chasing the sun. :whistle:
But the year before people stayed on the Costa Blanca because if was good and no need to move and all the sites were full.:LOL:
Two years ago we stayed on site until May 5th, and last year we left before Easter as we are will this winter. :eek:
So if you want our sunny pitch, ;) be there before the 27th March. :ROFLMAO:
Good luck with your search, and we might bump into somewhere, or even in Portugal. (y) Bob.

Hi Bob, yes I recall you telling me earlier in the year how busy it was in Javea and it thinned out very quickly during our two weeks there in early April. It's also a site we were considering, having just about all the things going for it you need for a longer haul. I think Benidorm is still likely to be our destination, if we can pull it off that could be around November. It's currently pretty miserable and cold here :( and it's supposed to be summer, :eek: so no desire to be hanging around for the depths of winter...tasted the good life and want more of it :). The idea of Christmas and New year away is also very appealing...would be a first!

Happy and safe travels, best wishes to Janie and hope to see you about, possibly March time when we drop by to see the Javea guys and gals (y) . Dave and Ginny

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Hi Bob, yes I recall you telling me earlier in the year how busy it was in Javea and it thinned out very quickly during our two weeks there in early April. It's also a site we were considering, having just about all the things going for it you need for a longer haul. I think Benidorm is still likely to be our destination, if we can pull it off that could be around November. It's currently pretty miserable and cold here :( and it's supposed to be summer, :eek: so no desire to be hanging around for the depths of winter...tasted the good life and want more of it :). The idea of Christmas and New year away is also very appealing...would be a first!

Happy and safe travels, best wishes to Janie and hope to see you about, possibly March time when we drop by to see the Javea guys and gals (y) . Dave and Ginny

Will be booking our xmas dinner in sept. Two Palms in Old Town..Excellent last year. BUSBY.:):):):):).

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i think this year will be busy here in beni most ppl wont be going to tunisia and maybe morrocao

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Think you are correct Bill and i bet most will be booking Brittany and LD Lines..Trucks will be block booking to avoid Calais problems so they will soon fill up. Glad i have booked mine.BUSBY.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Think you are correct Bill and i bet most will be booking Brittany and LD Lines..Trucks will be block booking to avoid Calais problems so they will soon fill up. Glad i have booked mine.BUSBY.

Ok Busby, you trying to get me panicking :unsure: ?...it's working!

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
check out condor lines thats the crossing i took no hassle and a great price

goldenline

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
Port Grimaud France
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Fortunately We don't have to considère ferries or tunnel and not sure whether We will stay for xmas or return for new year but should We stay just wondering where is best place for xmas lunch?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back